Patriot Act up for renewal and no one notices

3 specific provisions failed. And it failed because the Republicans tried to avoid any amendments, which requires a 2/3rds vote. They can resubmit it for a normal vote but have to allow amendments.

What I find telling is that the same Democrats that voted for this when the Democrats controlled Congress now voted against it. Didn't the liberals all claim when the Republicans played politics like that it was bad for the Country?

They have to hurry though those provisions expire on the 28th.

Good that if did not pass. I wonder if they will combine it with tax cuts and food for starving children to get it to pass?

I found this very interesting from the OP link:
"as a group of Republicans joined a majority of Democrats in voting no."

Tea Party mostly, they are against big Government. The provisions would have passed if they had not tried to block amendments.

This a great vote, and I am glad to see Dems and Tea Party working together to beat back the neo-cons.

This is a very good thing.

I am sure you are right, RGS, but the amendments will have to make some considerations to the left and the right.

This a great vote, and I am glad to see Dems and Tea Party working together to beat back the neo-cons.

Once again only 148 voted against it. They will redo it with amendments and it will pass. Overwhelmingly.

I take it by your tone that you're a big fan of the police state with all those dangerous musims running around huh sarge?

Once again only 148 voted against it. They will redo it with amendments and it will pass. Overwhelmingly.

I take it by your tone that you're a big fan of the police state with all those dangerous musims running around huh sarge?

Still waiting for this act to have ANY effect on law abiding citizens or to deny anyone their Constitutional rights.

Good to see the Tea Party doing what they ran on (small government-and freedom), on this occasion-even if it means voting with the Democrats. :clap2:

Greetings to All:

The Washington Post
Patriot Act extension vote fails to pass House; Tea Party caucas members vote "no"

Compiled by Ian Saleh
Washington Post Staff
Wednesday, February 9, 2011; 2:53 PM

A vote to extend provisions of the Patriot Act did not pass in the House on Tuesday. As Paul Kane and Felicia Somnez reported:
House Republicans suffered an embarrassing setback Tuesday when they fell seven votes short of extending provisions of the Patriot Act, a vote that served as the first small uprising of the party's tea-party bloc.​
The bill to reauthorize key parts of the counter-terrorism surveillance law, which expire at the end of the month, required a super-majority to pass under special rules reserved for non-controversial measures.​
But it fell short of the required two-thirds after 26 Republicans bucked their leadership, eight of them freshman lawmakers elected in November's midterm elections. With most Democrats opposing the extension, the final tally was 277 members in favor of extension, and 148 opposed.​
The Republicans who control the House made plans to bring the measure back for a quick vote later this month under normal rules, requiring only a simple majority for passage. They blamed House Democrats for the bill's downfall, noting that they provided the lion's share of votes against a bill that President Obama supports.​
There was some confusion on Tuesday night as Rep. Jane Harman released a statement confirming the measure's success:[More]
I am frankly amazed that our corrupt politicians are doing something right for a change.

GL,

Terral

it'll be back, the reps that is Boehner screwed up. Obama wants many parts of the bill, the parts here to fore blown up as egregious civil rights issue(s), renewed..watch, you'll see.

here ya go..

White House wants security act extensions

Published: Feb. 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM

WASHINGTON, Feb. 8 (UPI) -- The Obama administration says it strongly supports an extension of key provisions of the Patriot Act and other security acts set to expire this month.

The administration is asking for extensions of a provision involving authority for roving surveillance of targets who take steps to thwart such surveillance, authority to compel production of business records with court approval and authority to target non-U.S. persons not necessarily associated with an identified terrorist group, the so-called "lone wolf" amendment.

In a statement released by the White house, the administration called for an extension of the provisions, set to expire on Feb. 28, until December 2013.

more at-
Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011...-extensions/UPI-11711297200121/#ixzz1DbYK8UFp

Last edited:
All the D's who voted for these same exact extensions when they had power,voted against them this time around. Gee go figure? Vote for them when you have the power but then vote against them when you don't have the power. How can so many people still fall for political shell-games like this. How can people still trust the Democratic Party on anything? Now the Patriot Act is suddenly "Evil" again for the D's. What a sad scam. This is good news though. I think the old-school check-pant Republicans underestimated the opposition on the Patriot Act. The old dinosaurs just figured it would be business as usual. But some of the new Republicans made their voices heard. The old check-pants are in trouble. They just haven't figured that out yet.

Last edited:
You are simply upset the Dems play politics like the Pubs do, Lib. Grow a set, dude, and understand both party leaderships have their people do this.

I do hope to see conservative Dem and Tea Party members begin to convince some of the more centrist Pubs to start making the hard decisions for the country, not for themselves or their party.

Hi Terrell,

This thead isn't getting much play because no one on the left wants to acknowledge that the Tea Party was willing to vote against the Patriot Act.

When the Democrats had control...after complaining and whining about the Patriot Act, what did they do?

But don't expect them to give the Tea Party any credit.

And BTW Terral you will not be allowed to ride back to Beta Triangula 6 with me on March 14.
The council has spoken.

8 of 42 TP members voted against the extension?

Sure is swell to actually see a roll call vote where Congressmen are willing to go on record and be held accountable for their vote...unlike the cowardly "most transparent :)lol:)" Democrat controlled Congress in 2010, who snuck the extension through with no debate.

Let’s say that you want to go find out about this vote. You want to know whether your U.S. Representative voted to extend one of the worst laws passed under George W. Bush, a law that was supposed to expire years ago. You would go to the Library of Congress legislative archive and look for the roll call vote, right? The funny thing about this particular roll call vote is that you’d have the devil of a time finding it.

That’s because congressional Democratic leadership arranged for the vote to be held not for a stand alone bill, but for an agreement to a Senate amendment to the Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act. So, if you heard the news of a Patriot Act vote, and went looking for the roll call, you wouldn’t find it. You’d see roll call # 67 for this year, but would reasonably conclude that the vote is thoroughly unrelated to the Patriot Act. If you hadn’t heard of the Patriot Act extension, and just wanted to see what legislation had been voted on yesterday, you would come away still ignorant of what the House of Representatives had actually done.

The reason that the roll call vote in the House took place in this fashion is that Senate Democratic leadership wanted to extend the Patriot Act without any roll call vote at all, and without any debate. The House Democratic leadership was only too happy to go along with the game of camouflaging the Patriot Act extension vote.

House Democrats Sneak Through Patriot Act Vote | That's My Congress

Here is the vote, it will be interesting to see who voted for it last time when the Dems in control snuck it thru, then voted against it now.

» Patriot Act Without Reforms Passes House (Roll Call Included) - Irregular Times

Looks like the old-school check-pant Republicans still don't get it. Real Conservatives are now poised to take over and run the show in the Party. The days of Democrat-Light are over. The old dinosaurs will get it at some point. They truly underestimated how many Republicans would oppose these extensions. As for the Democrats though,what a bunch of dishonest hypocrite jerkoffs. They voted for every single one of these same extensions when they had all the power. Now they suddenly oppose them. I guess the Patriot Act is "Evil" to them once again. Gee how bout that timing? They're suddenly against it now that the Republicans are in power. What a disgraceful scam. The D's have no credibility. Kudos to those Republicans who stood up though.

Forum List

Back