Pastor whose child was shot at Texas church runs for office

Aletheia4u

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2017
Another candidate is running for the Senate.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A Texas pastor whose teenage daughter was among more than two dozen people killed in a mass shooting at his church in 2017 said Sunday that he will run as a Republican next year for a seat in the state Legislature.

Frank Pomeroy — whose 14-year-old daughter, Annabelle, was killed in the November 2017 attack at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs— is launching his campaign at a moment when gun violence is again at the forefront of Texas politics following a mass shooting in El Paso this month that killed 22 people.

th

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A Texas pastor whose teenage daughter was among more than two dozen people killed in a mass shooting at his church in 2017 said Sunday that he will run as a Republican next year for a seat in the state Legislature.

Frank Pomeroy — whose 14-year-old daughter, Annabelle, was killed in the November 2017 attack at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs— is launching his campaign at a moment when gun violence is again at the forefront of Texas politics following a mass shooting in El Paso this month that killed 22 people.

th

Yes.....the other 26 members of the Church were saved by an NRA instructor who used his privately owned, AR-15 rifle to stop the attack. He also chased down the shooter with another citizen until the police finally arrived.......after the shooter had been chased off by the NRA instructor......

Pomeroy is still working out his stances on all the issues, he said. On gun policy, he doesn't believe "we should continually blame the inanimate object," saying, "we have a heart condition, a character issue and a mental health issue out there that needs to be addressed." On abortion, he said he'd be more staunchly against it than Zaffirini, but expressed support for some very limited exceptions: "One of the things that comes to my mind is if a doctor says it's between the life of the child and the life of the mother, who am I to decide who is to live and who is to die?"

As a political newcomer, Pomeroy said Sunday his decision to run had "nothing to do with the church" and was made knowing he and his family would be thrust back into the spotlight.

Wrong, its to do with the church, which is where he made his announcement:

Frank Pomeroy, a Republican, announced after Sunday morning services at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs that he's challenging Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo. He had a "burning bush moment" in which he decided to run, Pomeroy said, after reading the Bible, praying, and consulting with "several godly people."

Pomeroy is still working out his stances on all the issues, he said. On gun policy, he doesn't believe "we should continually blame the inanimate object," saying, "we have a heart condition, a character issue and a mental health issue out there that needs to be addressed." On abortion, he said he'd be more staunchly against it than Zaffirini, but expressed support for some very limited exceptions: "One of the things that comes to my mind is if a doctor says it's between the life of the child and the life of the mother, who am I to decide who is to live and who is to die?"

As a political newcomer, Pomeroy said Sunday his decision to run had "nothing to do with the church" and was made knowing he and his family would be thrust back into the spotlight.

Frank Pomeroy, a Republican, announced after Sunday morning services at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs that he's challenging Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo. He had a "burning bush moment" in which he decided to run, Pomeroy said, after reading the Bible, praying, and consulting with "several godly people."

1. But you're fine with that, right. All people have the same right to participate in the political process, right?

2. Making a decision by drawing on his religious beliefs, or his religious peers, does not mean that his politics will be religious. The answer was probably framed by the specifics of the question, which we do not see in the excerpt.

th
Kudos to Mr Pomeroy for putting some muscle behind his thoughts and prayers. From what I read, I would probably disagree with most of his philosophy, but I respect his 'doing something'. That's more than I have done. All I do is vote.

1. But you're fine with that, right. All people have the same right to participate in the political process, right?

2. Making a decision by drawing on his religious beliefs, or his religious peers, does not mean that his politics will be religious. The answer was probably framed by the specifics of the question, which we do not see in the excerpt.

Are we a secular nation??

We are a religiously diverse nation, with people of all religions or none, having the same right to run for office.

That is my position, ie the Traditional American tradition.

Where are you coming from?

May this man prevail!

God bless you and him and the remainder of his family always!!!

Holly

We are a religiously diverse nation, with people of all religions or none, having the same right to run for office.

So then we are a secular nation. Thank you. No law should be based on religion.

Progressives never have an claim to moral highground... Because they are fucked in the head

We are a religious nation with a secular government.

And you should not mix the 2.

If you don't have religion you have left wingers murdering 12 million innocent men, women and children in Europe, 25 million in Russia, another 70 million in China....... atheism has killed more people since 1917 than even muslims have....

May this man prevail!

God bless you and him and the remainder of his family always!!!

Holly

So then we are a secular nation. Thank you. No law should be based on religion.

1. No one said anything about basing anything on religion.

2. What do you even MEAN "basing" a law on religion? Is the law against Murder based on religion, because of the 10 commandments?

3. You are an anti-Christian bigot.

By which you mean, you don't want religious people interfering with your agenda.

Even though they have ever right to do so.

Forum List

Back