Parents: How Would You React?

How Would You React?

• Total voters
If you eat at Logan's Roadhouse, you are shown a display of raw meat from which to choose.

I don't mind the raw meat - but the abbatoir stuff...naw, don't need to know that...nor do I want to.

Not to mention that kids see raw meat at home. That doesn't mean they should have to see thumper skinned.

I'm not sure why he felt it was his business to barrage the kids with that information. And even if he was correct to do so (which he wasn't) if the parents don't want him talking to their kids, he shouldn't talk to them.

Yesterday morning I took my .22 rimfire out to some local farmland where I have permission to shoot small game. I had a good day and brought back four pigeons and five rabbits. In the early evening next door's kids were playing in their garden while I was skinning and plucking what I'd shot. My neighbour's boundry is a flimsey trellis with vines woven through the woodwook. On the other side the children (all aged around 8-10) had noticed what I was doing and took an interest; though showed no sign of revulsion. They asked me if what I was skinning was real. At this point I realised this was an opportunity to impart valuable a lesson upon my young audience. I confirmed what I was handling was real and that I'd shot them. I followed that by asking them if they knew where the meat they ate came from. They were unsure. I informed them it most likely came from a farm via an abbatoir, and I didn't pull any punches. I told them how the meat they saw on their table was killed and processed. I also showed them the organs I'd removed from the carcasses. I then showed them the gun and how it works. They were enthralled. Towards the end of my ad-hoc lecture their childminder called them away. After they'd gone inside she approached the fence and informed me that it's irresponsible to expose children to the stark reality of how meat ends-up on their table. I told her she was being absurd and it was genuinely irresponsible to shield children from the facts, however grissly.

I kind of expected a reaction from our neighbours over what had transpired and I was proven right. At around 8 o'clock both parents knocked on our door. To cut a long story short they weren't overly objective to what their children had been told and seen, but said they'd prefer it if I'd send their curious kids away in future.

Now, I realised what I'd done would provoke a reaction of sorts, and I affirmed that I believed what their kids had seen was a positive experience. To their credit they were polite, but replied with equal conviction that they believed it was innapropriate, although by then I was growing irritable at their naivity. I reinforced my position by reminding them I was at liberty to do whatever I pleased within my own property as long as it's within the law: it isn't illegal to eviscerate a dead animal. We parted on civil terms. But this whole episode got me thinking over whether or not my neighnours' mentality presides among the majority: meat comes from a little plastic tray wrapped in polythene. And should we allow that way of thinking/naivity to continue by 'protecting' them from the ugly facts/reality. I say that it should be impressed upon them from infancy how the meat they enjoy arrives on their table. What about you?

my parents would have been happy unless you handed me a knife and asked if I wanted to do the next.

It takes a tribe and all that

If you eat at Logan's Roadhouse, you are shown a display of raw meat from which to choose.

I don't mind the raw meat - but the abbatoir stuff...naw, don't need to know that...nor do I want to.

Not to mention that kids see raw meat at home. That doesn't mean they should have to see thumper skinned.

I'm not sure why he felt it was his business to barrage the kids with that information. And even if he was correct to do so (which he wasn't) if the parents don't want him talking to their kids, he shouldn't talk to them.

Well, he didn't know that at the time with regard to talking to them. That aside, if the neighbour's kids come and initiate the convo, nothing wrong with that....

do you understand how many serial killers mutilated animals as children?

You dont know these children like their parents do.

IT WAS NOT YOUR RIGHT TO TEACH THEM THIS

You want to do what you want and you took this right from their parents

Kind of like when their children go to a ballgame & all the gays & lesbians start making out right in front of them huh.

The kids were watching him from their yard and asked him about what he was doing.

As I said before it's not like he rounded up the neighborhood kids in order to teach them all to dress a rabbit against their will.

If the parents want to shield their little darlings from the real world then maybe the brats should be kept indoors.

When I was in 2nd grade, our teacher dissected a piglet in class at the end of our unit on organs of the body so we all could see a heart, kidneys, the brain, etc. She cooked different organs and allowed us to try them if we wanted to. She showed us the vitreous humor in the eyeball, etc. Obviously, as I am still talking about it...it made a huge impression, we were fascinated. The cartoon pictures of human organs we had been shown in the books had nothing on looking at real organs. It was, in my opinion, a GREAT lesson.

Kids are far stronger than we give them credit for. Those children eat meat, learning where it comes from will either be a lifelong lesson they remember well...or they'll become vegetarians, lol. The bottom line is, they came to you to find out what you were doing...and you told them without trying to scare them or make it into more than what it was. You were completely within your rights to do so.

That being said, when the parents came to you and asked you not to teach their children things...in my opinion again, you should have said that, in the future, you would tell the children to return to their parents if you were doing something that involved guns or dressing animals. They are the parents, they have the right to raise their children how they see fit. Additionally, however, you'd be right to say, If your children come over to see what I am doing I am not going to hide my actions. I will however, direct them back to you.

You should not have to curtail a legal, harmless action on your own property. But you should respect their parental authority if they have asked you not to teach their children about certain topics.

All that being said - I bet the kids are going to remember your lesson forever. As a non-hunter, I would have been interested to hear it too!

Reads to me like everybody involved in this incident was fairly reasonable.

YOu did nothing wriong,m the kids did nothing wrong, and the parents approached you respectfully and asked you not to allow their kids to hang around you when you were cleaning your game.

Where's the problem?

When I was in 2nd grade, our teacher dissected a piglet in class at the end of our unit on organs of the body so we all could see a heart, kidneys, the brain, etc. She cooked different organs and allowed us to try them if we wanted to. She showed us the vitreous humor in the eyeball, etc. Obviously, as I am still talking about it...it made a huge impression, we were fascinated. The cartoon pictures of human organs we had been shown in the books had nothing on looking at real organs. It was, in my opinion, a GREAT lesson.

Kids are far stronger than we give them credit for. Those children eat meat, learning where it comes from will either be a lifelong lesson they remember well...or they'll become vegetarians, lol. The bottom line is, they came to you to find out what you were doing...and you told them without trying to scare them or make it into more than what it was. You were completely within your rights to do so.

That being said, when the parents came to you and asked you not to teach their children things...in my opinion again, you should have said that, in the future, you would tell the children to return to their parents if you were doing something that involved guns or dressing animals. They are the parents, they have the right to raise their children how they see fit. Additionally, however, you'd be right to say, If your children come over to see what I am doing I am not going to hide my actions. I will however, direct them back to you.

You should not have to curtail a legal, harmless action on your own property. But you should respect their parental authority if they have asked you not to teach their children about certain topics.

All that being said - I bet the kids are going to remember your lesson forever. As a non-hunter, I would have been interested to hear it too!

When I was a kid, I remember a 1st grade lesson that showed us the lungs of a smoker alongside the lungs of a non-smoker which precipitated me going home and telling both of my parents that they should stop smoking. I still remember the verbal beating I took when I was told to mind my own business. :D

I never smoked though. Well, tried for a week at age 13 and took one puff at 22. I'll never understand what people get from that shit... well, except for black lungs that is!

Immie

When I was a kid, we ate my 4H projects (usually heifers). It was sad on one level, but at least I understood where food came from and had an intimate connection with agriculture. These days, most adults and almost all kids don't even know what they're eating. The average chicken is born in a factory farm, spends its life in a cage that is about 18" by 18" and dies without ever breathing a breath of fresh air.

And we pity the rabbit in this story.

Maybe if kids and their parents were required to visit a dairy, slaughterhouse, etc., they'd eat a healthier diet. We toured a dairy near my house when I was in elementary school. After seeing the veal calves and the way that they are confined for their entire lives, I have pretty much avoided veal for my entire life. Maybe we all should have to see where our food comes from...I guarantee it would change some of your eating habits.

When I was a kid, we ate my 4H projects (usually heifers). It was sad on one level, but at least I understood where food came from and had an intimate connection with agriculture. These days, most adults and almost all kids don't even know what they're eating. The average chicken is born in a factory farm, spends its life in a cage that is about 18" by 18" and dies without ever breathing a breath of fresh air.

And we pity the rabbit in this story.

Maybe if kids and their parents were required to visit a dairy, slaughterhouse, etc., they'd eat a healthier diet. We toured a dairy near my house when I was in elementary school. After seeing the veal calves and the way that they are confined for their entire lives, I have pretty much avoided veal for my entire life. Maybe we all should have to see where our food comes from...I guarantee it would change some of your eating habits.

Oh come on, even I know what I am eating. We used to drive by cattle and say "hamburger" kind of like people do when they are counting out of state license plates or VW Bugs.

:D

Immie

27532_112459192110725_594_n.jpg

A kid has to EAT you know!

But they really should be taught to skin 'em out first. Otherwise you'll have to clean up the hairballs.

And the kids should be instructed to not approach him or address him, as well.

Yesterday morning I took my .22 rimfire out to some local farmland where I have permission to shoot small game. I had a good day and brought back four pigeons and five rabbits. In the early evening next door's kids were playing in their garden while I was skinning and plucking what I'd shot. My neighbour's boundry is a flimsey trellis with vines woven through the woodwook. On the other side the children (all aged around 8-10) had noticed what I was doing and took an interest; though showed no sign of revulsion. They asked me if what I was skinning was real. At this point I realised this was an opportunity to impart valuable a lesson upon my young audience. I confirmed what I was handling was real and that I'd shot them. I followed that by asking them if they knew where the meat they ate came from. They were unsure. I informed them it most likely came from a farm via an abbatoir, and I didn't pull any punches. I told them how the meat they saw on their table was killed and processed. I also showed them the organs I'd removed from the carcasses. I then showed them the gun and how it works. They were enthralled. Towards the end of my ad-hoc lecture their childminder called them away. After they'd gone inside she approached the fence and informed me that it's irresponsible to expose children to the stark reality of how meat ends-up on their table. I told her she was being absurd and it was genuinely irresponsible to shield children from the facts, however grissly.

I kind of expected a reaction from our neighbours over what had transpired and I was proven right. At around 8 o'clock both parents knocked on our door. To cut a long story short they weren't overly objective to what their children had been told and seen, but said they'd prefer it if I'd send their curious kids away in future.

Now, I realised what I'd done would provoke a reaction of sorts, and I affirmed that I believed what their kids had seen was a positive experience. To their credit they were polite, but replied with equal conviction that they believed it was innapropriate, although by then I was growing irritable at their naivity. I reinforced my position by reminding them I was at liberty to do whatever I pleased within my own property as long as it's within the law: it isn't illegal to eviscerate a dead animal. We parted on civil terms. But this whole episode got me thinking over whether or not my neighnours' mentality presides among the majority: meat comes from a little plastic tray wrapped in polythene. And should we allow that way of thinking/naivity to continue by 'protecting' them from the ugly facts/reality. I say that it should be impressed upon them from infancy how the meat they enjoy arrives on their table. What about you?

It's entirely appropriate and even admirable that you took the time to explain how you were harvesting nature's bounty in the wild, including showing the tool you used to take the game (your gun) and the work involved in bringing your kills to the dinner table...

but it's completely inappropriate that you then launched into a detailed no-holds-barred description of domestic meat production, of which you are obviously disdainful... when you politicized the issue for the "benefit and edification" of those young children, you stepped over a line that you shouldn't have... and, for the parents, you went from being the "interesting guy who lives next door" to being the "jerk with an agenda who lives next door"...

Last edited:

It's entirely appropriate and even admirable that you took the time to explain how you were harvesting nature's bounty in the wild, including showing the tool you used to take the game (your gun) and the work involved in bringing your kills to the dinner table...

but it's completely inappropriate that you then launched into a detailed no-holds-barred description of domestic meat production, of which you are obviously disdainful... when you politicized the issue for the "benefit and edification" of those young children, you stepped over a line that you shouldn't have... and, for the parents, you went from being the "interesting guy who lives next door" to being the "jerk with an agenda who lives next door"...

Could you explain where I "politicized" the event in my OP?

"I followed that by asking them if they knew where the meat they ate came from. They were unsure. I informed them it most likely came from a farm via an abbatoir, and I didn't pull any punches. I told them how the meat they saw on their table was killed and processed."

"After they'd gone inside she approached the fence and informed me that it's irresponsible to expose children to the stark reality of how meat ends-up on their table. I told her she was being absurd and it was genuinely irresponsible to shield children from the facts, however grissly."

"I kind of expected a reaction from our neighbours over what had transpired and I was proven right."

"Now, I realised what I'd done would provoke a reaction of sorts, and I affirmed that I believed what their kids had seen was a positive experience. To their credit they were polite, but replied with equal conviction that they believed it was innapropriate, although by then I was growing irritable at their naivity."

"meat comes from a little plastic tray wrapped in polythene. And should we allow that way of thinking/naivity to continue by 'protecting' them from the ugly facts/reality. I say that it should be impressed upon them from infancy how the meat they enjoy arrives on their table."

Last edited:

"I followed that by asking them if they knew where the meat they ate came from. They were unsure. I informed them it most likely came from a farm via an abbatoir, and I didn't pull any punches. I told them how the meat they saw on their table was killed and processed."

"After they'd gone inside she approached the fence and informed me that it's irresponsible to expose children to the stark reality of how meat ends-up on their table. I told her she was being absurd and it was genuinely irresponsible to shield children from the facts, however grissly."

"I kind of expected a reaction from our neighbours over what had transpired and I was proven right."

"Now, I realised what I'd done would provoke a reaction of sorts, and I affirmed that I believed what their kids had seen was a positive experience. To their credit they were polite, but replied with equal conviction that they believed it was innapropriate, although by then I was growing irritable at their naivity."

"meat comes from a little plastic tray wrapped in polythene. And should we allow that way of thinking/naivity to continue by 'protecting' them from the ugly facts/reality. I say that it should be impressed upon them from infancy how the meat they enjoy arrives on their table."

None of what you've quoted me on betrays any sign of political bias, whatsoever. When speaking to the children who'd approached me at their own leisure they weren't exposed to any political aganda or persuassion, just a short instruction as to how game and livestock are processed before they reach the table. Objections to methods of animal husbandry and meat processing come from both sides. There's no case to answer here.

Forum List

Back