Parents As Bullies? Not A Trend I Wish To See

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, May 28, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=425751

2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    [​IMG]

Parent of the Year

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well I'm grateful I haven't seen those types of behavior. I have seen parents signing failed test papers about twice a week, signing and returning notes of missed homework, that feel justified in coming in a screaming about an 'F' at mid-terms, eventually calm down and claim that their child is 'really going to get their work done from here in out; only to be repeated after one or two days, result in an 'F' on the report card, where we go through the same scenario again. :coffee3:

I think part of it are parents that want to avoid confrontations and enforcing limits/restrictions on their children. I've had parents cry, that their child claims their homework was completed at school and they can't get them to bed until 2 a.m., because they are online or watching t.v. When I suggest they remove those privileges or at least remove them from the child's bedroom, 'They'll get angry.' Who wouldn't be surprised if the kid ends up abusing the parent down the road, if they aren't already? :shocked:

5. cslaughlin13

cslaughlin13 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To mom 4:
    I disagree with the fact that one has to be christian to have self control. In fact, there are many christians that I have seen that have no self control and actually go around and attack others for being different. I would have to say that many parents now are too easy on their children. My dad is a good example, he does not discipline my little sister very well and she is a spoiled brat. I can see her in ten years being a complete trashy bitch.

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    csl:
    In no way did I mean to claim that one must be a Christian to possess self-control. IMO, No1tovote4 is an excellent example of a man who seems very self-controlled, but is not a Christian.

Even when the US was considered a Christian nation, not every person in the US was a Christian. But the general trends included Christian values, of which, self-control is a biggie. In this post-Christian era, self-indulgence seems much more en vogue than self-control.

I agree; I have seen people who claim to be Christians, yet who act very differently from the lifestyle that Jesus illustrated. And NO ONE, even a devoted Christian will live out the lifestyle perfectly.

It does seem as though many parents are too easy on, even afraid of their children these days. I'm probably not strict enough with my own kids, at least not anywhere near as strict as my grandparents were on my father. And it is made even more difficult because society is often split when it comes to the concept of discipline. Someone very close to me was actually reported to the police for taking her son into the bathroom at a store and lecturing him about touching merchandise. The woman who reported her considered it "abusive" to speak to a child that way, and taking him into the bathroom was such a presumption! Why, she might have been spanking him in there! :rolleyes: People are very influenced by those around them, and when the culture at large becomes more permissive, parents may tend to doubt even their own convictions in disciplining their children. Very different from 100 years ago, when teachers spanked kids at school without asking the parents' permission, and the parents would be angry at the child for whatever he did to make that necessary. When Christianity formed a bond of common values, there was much less confusion about right and wrong, even among those who did not practice the faith.

7. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    When my dad was in fourth grade, he had a coughing fit (he and I both share bronchial asthma, so it sounds like a dog barking unfortuneatly) and the teacher thought he was faking it, so he got in trouble. My grandmother confronted the teacher's face with a frying pan. He was never picked on by the teacher again o.o

8. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,776
    What I see is an out of control, liberal school system. A system where more and more of the parents are left out of the decision loop as to what can and will be taught to your kids. And if you don't send your kids to school, you're in violation of the law. So now that parents are fighting mad, the schools want to not only be able to teach, preach, and do as they please with your kids, don't you dare show up and say or do anything about it, or you'll be breaking the law for doing that too.

One answer... home school.

9. Redhots

Redhots Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    This lady sounds like a psycho.

I wonder if she is married? If so I feel for her husband

Yeah because charging into a classroom of 1st graders and beating up a couple teachers because you think the teacher is "picking on your kid" is a very adult way to go about things.

When I was younger I used to umpire girls aged 10-18 softball games to make a little extra money and I had to deal with asshole parents like this all the time. People who would flipout (and a couple times even got violent) because their kid stood there and ate strike 3 or didn't beat the ball to the bag. I have very little respect for those type of parents.

Anywho, this isn't a "new" trend. Its been happening ever since there have been children and it has jackall to do with "christian" values or the lack thereof.

Its just a bunch of parents who never grew up.

10. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    Heh, where is this Parkview Elementary School at? I went to an elementary school by the same name :p