Pansy Blue Helmet

Discussion in 'Military' started by Gunny, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    This is a question directed primarily at, but not limited to the military former/military personnel on the board.

What do y'all think of a US military person being forced to suit up for the UN against his/her wishes?

IMO, I think it is beyond the bounds of the agreement between an individual and the US gov't service-wise. Yes, we are all subject to following orders, but we also signed a document swearing to defend the US and uphold the Constitution of the US, not the UN Charter.

I personally would have taken issue with being ordered to serve under the UN flag, and am quite happy I never was forced into the position of making a decision regarding this issue.

Just curious as to y'all's opinions.....

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

I thought when US troops were deployed for the UN, they were kept under US military command?

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Only administratively. Operationally they are required to serve whatever multinational rabbit is pulled out of the hat.

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I agree with you Gunny..I joined the United States Army to serve the UNITED STATES, not the UN.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I would never subject our troops to UN led anything. President shouldn't either.

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I'm seriously considering service after college, but I'd pass it all up if I thought for a second that I'd be required to don some wussy blue hat and take orders from some Euro yellow-belly.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I actually wouldn't subject our nation to UN-led anything, but that's a different subject. :laugh:

I think serving in a UN military force should be volunteer-only. In my mind, you are taking a person who swore to serve his Nation and forcing him/her to serve another God by just cutting that person orders to UN duty.

In my case, I think I have sufficiently proven my loyalty to this Nation and would go down with the ship before giving an inch of ground in its defense; however, I feel no such loyalty toward the "One World Order Wannabe UN." I'd probably step aside and let it get attacked. :laugh:

8. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I was on I&I duty in Oklahoma City back in 1988 and our I&I got orders to the multinational force in Cambodia. Apparently there are two types of orders to UN postings. Individual PCS are classed as Joint Duty and normally reserved for Officers getting a ticket punched. Unit orders are treated as UDP. Remember SPC New from the Army a while back? His cause was just but he got hammered for disobeying American orders if memory serves.

9. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I've always thought that. Those whos goals are to protect international human rights etc would be better serving under the UN than their own national armies.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I may be wrong, but I think we are having a 'failure to communicate' here.