Palestinian Terrorists Welcome Abbas Peace Efforts With Homicide Bombing

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Attack at Israeli Base Leaves 5 Dead
Associated Press
Jan. 13, 2005, 4:38PM

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/world/2991342

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip — Palestinian militants set off a large bomb as gunmen stormed an Israeli base at a vital Gaza crossing today, the Israeli military said. Two Palestinians and at least three Israelis were killed in the attack, which defied peace efforts by new Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas.

The attack was by far the biggest since Abbas, who has called violence against Israelis a mistake, won an election Sunday to succeed Yasser Arafat as head of the Palestinian Authority. The bombing also came just hours after a West Bank Hamas leader said the Islamic group might consider an end to attacks against Israel.

The blast took place just before 11 p.m. at the Karni crossing, where all the farm produce and other goods enter and leave the Gaza Strip.

The militants entered the crossing in a bomb-laden truck minutes before it was to close, the military said. As the explosives detonated, at least two gunmen stormed the Israeli positions. The operating hours of the position were recently increased to allow more goods to cross, the Maariv daily reported.

A statement to The Associated Press from the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, affiliated with Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah faction, said fighters were killed "in a martyrdom operation" near the Karni crossing in southern Gaza.

Such language usually indicates a suicide attack against an Israeli target. A spokesman for another group, the Popular Resistance Committees, said militants filmed the attack. Hamas also claimed responsibility in the joint operation.

Palestinian officials were not immediately available for comment. Abbas has been trying to persuade militant groups like Hamas and Islamic Jihad to agree to a cease-fire, but so far with no success.

Israel intends to pull out of Gaza in the summer. Militant groups have been stepping up their attacks in an attempt to show that they are forcing the Israelis out.

A month ago, soldiers discovered a tunnel militants were digging toward the Karni checkpoint in an attempt to blow it up.

After today's attacks, Israeli rescue services said ambulances were having difficulty entering the area because of an exchange of gunfire between militants and Israeli forces. About 45 minutes after the attack, the gunfire subsided, Israel Radio reported.

There are several Israeli military installations in the area of the crossing.

The attack came a month after Palestinian militants tunneled under another Israeli crossing point and blew it up, killing five Israeli soldiers. That attack, on Dec. 12, targeted the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt.

On Jan. 14, 2004, a female suicide bomber blew herself up at the Erez crossing point, the main exit for Palestinian workers who have jobs in Israel. Four Israelis were killed in that attack.
-

Suicide attacks on buses and in malls and at holiday resorts and against high rise buildings is completely unacceptable. However I don't condemn the Palestinians for attacking Isreali military targets, even if it is done with suicide bombs. Just don't be pissed off when the military targets strike back. :)

The part that bothers me about it is that there is no particular reason for it. Israel is already pulling out of the area !!! They are literally leaving the entire Gaza Strip, so what's the point of these attacks in that area. The only answers I can come up with is that Palestians like to kill Jews as they are leaving, or that peace is really not what a good portion of the Palestinian population is after.

The second part that somewhat bothers me is that no one realizes that the Palestinians attack every gesture that the Israeli's make towards the working Palestinian. The checkpoint will be open later so that it's not such a burden on the working Palestinians and so they attack the checkpoint specifically late at night. It's like the US efforts in Iraq. You try to do something for Arab/Muslem general population and we will undermine it with the cost being borne by the Arab population. It is classic Mao insurgency. Anything Western or assistance from the West must be undermined. Absolutely ridiculous !!!

Also, please note that the Palestinians are attacking checkpoints. This is a clear sign that the wall is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. Good for Israel. Maybe these terrorist factions will be forced to try new tactics ... like negotiations.

I wonder how Americans would feel if a seperatist Mexican faction began bombing border checkpoints claiming the US as their ancesstoral land. Don't laugh .. it's a better argument then the Palestinian's have.

HorhayAtAMD said:
I don't condemn the Palestinians for attacking Isreali military targets, even if it is done with suicide bombs. Just don't be pissed off when the military targets strike back. :)
What an immoral and hateful thing to say! By the way, they murdered six Israeli civilians. I wonder how you would feel if your son or daughter in the Israeli military was murdered in a homicide bombing? Or how would you feel if your hopeless and delusional son or daughter murdered Israelis in a homicide bombing? Allah Akbar? What would you spend your Wahhabi suicide money on?

-

onedomino said:
What an immoral and hateful thing to say! By the way, they murdered six Israeli civilians. I wonder how you would feel if your son or daughter in the Israeli military was murdered in a homicide bombing? Or how would you feel if your hopeless and delusional son or daughter murdered Israelis in a homicide bombing? Allah Akbar? What would you spend your Wahhabi suicide money on?

-
Whoa, if you've read any of my posts in this section, you will see that I do anything but defend Palestinians so I'm not sure what the sarcasm was for at the end of your post.

Death is terrible, no matter the reason. If anyone I knew died in a war, of course I would feel terrible. My point was that in times of war, and Israel is in a kind of war with the Palestinians, Israel can't be condemned for killing terrorists and Palestinians can't be condemned for killing Israeli soldiers. You can't have it one way and not the other. Can you condemn the US Army for all the Korean soldiers they killed? How about the Vietnamese soldiers? In times of war, you are supposed to kill enemy soldiers, that's the whole idea. Unfortunately it also means that your soldiers are going to be put in harm's way and although the consequences are dire, they are at least understood from the very beginning.

About the death of 6 civilians, I didn't see anything about that in the article you posted. Regardless, I very clearly said Suicide attacks on buses and in malls and at holiday resorts and against high rise buildings is completely unacceptable but maybe I should have explicitly said "all civilian targets".

The Palestinian miltants don't want peace with Israel because they don't have a reason to exist. They seem to enjoy the killing and if Israel leaves the area and allows the PA to take charge, these losers don't have a reason to stay around.

Forum List

Back