Pa schools to arm teachers with mini-baseball bats. Really.

Here you go, Mrs. Beetleman go get him! We'll be right behind you.

Pa. school district arms teachers with baseball bats in wake of Fla. shooting

Yep. Toy bats approved by the "legal department" not too big that they can be sued by or hurt anyone and used as real weapons, but just stupid enough to insult you and make you feel like a real fool being given it as a token defense and just enough that when you pick it up to wield against your attacker, you piss him off at the sight of it as he laughs at you, then shoots you twice for having the nerve to try to use it.

So, baseball bats are arms. An arm is anything with which one can defend or offend.

I don't have a problem with teachers being given the bats, but as a former RPG gamer, I think one or a couple of these per classroom would be far more useful.

main-qimg-85d38c8ae6d24a0ad7ae7ce3a880b13e

High-Performance-Ballistic-Metal-Shield-Bulletproof-Shield.jpg

Bulletproof_shield_size_hmmwv_1800x.jpg

I know as a student, I'd feel a hell of a lot safer behind one of those than I would behind "Mr. Tannenbaum" and his mini-bat. Perhaps with the shield, the bat would be a viable offensive tool...as well might the shields.

Roll that shield right into the shooter and...Boom!..."Shield bash!"...Or at least not shot....Or upon getting close enough, sure, reach out and whack the sucker with the bat.

As for the bat PA is providing, what I want to know is this: Why the hell not give the teachers a full sized bat? I mean really. If "Mrs. McGillicutty" can't handle a full sized bat, maybe she needs to be retiring anyway.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with teachers being given the bats, but as a former RPG gamer, I think one or a couple of these per classroom would be far more useful.

main-qimg-85d38c8ae6d24a0ad7ae7ce3a880b13e

High-Performance-Ballistic-Metal-Shield-Bulletproof-Shield.jpg

Bulletproof_shield_size_hmmwv_1800x.jpg

I know as a student, I'd feel a hell of a lot safer behind one of those than I would behind "Mr. Tannenbaum" and his mini-bat.

Roll that shield right into the shooter and...Boom!..."Shield bash!"...Or at least not shot....Or upon getting close enough, sure, reach out and whack the sucker with the bat.

As for the bat PA is providing, what I want to know is this: Why the hell not give the teachers a full sized bat? I mean really. If "Mrs. McGillicutty" can't handle a full sized bat, maybe she needs to be retiring anyway.

...And no, I don't know how much good a standing shield would do, but at least it'd do more good than drywall or a baseball bat and no shield. It's something safe to get behind.

This may seem a little "out there" but I wonder too whether stipulating fitness requirements for teachers might not also help. I know were I the "aggressive" sort, I damn sure wouldn't be keen to take on a building full of people whom I knew were built like this...

4600deaa3972d56f0be962ef1fe98c07--fitness-abs-woman-fitness.jpg

1laMEGV.jpg

website-female-hardbody-blonde.jpg

13099dbcb0a450a6365a251068f7b889--fitness-women-fitness-babes.jpg

2353bfbe3b28c22b7123884abe930fa7.jpg

...Frankly, I think more students, particularly the ones predisposed to being unruly, would settle their little asses down were they to know their teacher can best them (aka, kick their snide little asses) in the classroom and outside it too. Just sayin'....

It wouldn't take much to get teachers to something near the above fitness levels....Three days a week, they show up two hours earlier, workout with a trainer, do some aerobics and stretching, shower and then head off to class. The school already has the fitness facilities, and there're surely gym teachers and coaches to guide them through the exercise routines....

Not "Really."
Hall says the bats are primarily "symbolic", but are now an option for teachers to use, should they need to fight back in a school shooting.

Millcreek Education Association president Jon Cacchione says he supports the decision to arm teachers with bats, which will be locked up in each classroom.
Unlike for actual, handy bats, I seriously doubt scientific evidence exists to support the use of "locked up", "symbolic" bats to defend against sudden violent crime. This is just throwing a little money at the problem to make it go away for now instead of seriously addressing it.

That said, may beat doing nothing (pun intended). No kid could enjoy the thought of their crazed shooting spree suddenly ending with a nice rap on the head from behind then waking up disgraced and alone in a jail cell.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back