Owners Of Burned California Diving Boat Say They Owe Nothing To Victims' Families

Frannie

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2019
Owners Of Burned California Diving Boat Say They Owe Nothing To Victims' Families

Ah, actually this is going to be determined in court, furthermore if you read on you will see that the Titanic is being referenced

The owners of the commercial diving boat that erupted into flames during a Labor Day weekend accident off the coast of Southern California are now seeking to avoid payouts to the families of the 34 people who died onboard.

On Thursday, Glen and Dana Fritzler of Truth Aquatics, which owned the now-destroyed Conception, filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, arguing they shouldn’t owe a single cent for the tragedy, the Associated Press reported.

The Fritzlers are attempting to make their case by using the Shipowner’s Limitation of Liability Act of 1851, a statute frequently used in waterway accidents. The couple has requested that the judge either waive their financial liability or adjust it to the boat’s post-fire value ― in this case, $0.

The law was most famously used by the shipping company White Star Lines after the 1912 Titanic disaster during which more than 1,500 passengers were killed on the ship’s maiden voyage. In that instance, the company’s liability was evaluated at $92,000, which equaled the worth of the surviving lifeboats.

Unless, of course, they are found culpably negligent in court.

Then they'll be paying for the rest of their natural lives.

Wow...may the Lord have in mind a special plan for the demon possessed kind.

God bless you and the families of the victims always!!!

Holly

• Banned
Wow...may the Lord have in mind a special plan for the demon possessed kind.

God bless you and the families of the victims always!!!

Holly
You said it, the fact is that they opted for a boat with maximum bunk space so they they could make more money on each trip and left out the escape route which would have taken up space. The Coast Guard should also be held responsible for letting this boat on the water in the first place

Sometimes tragedy happens.

The customers all booked on the boat knowing what they were getting with the confined sleeping space. They chose the cheaper ticket on that boat instead of chartering something more expensive with more room.

A liberal mindset will look for somebody else to blame. A Conservative mindset will accept personal responsibility for life's decisions.

Ah, actually this is going to be determined in court, furthermore if you read on you will see that the Titanic is being referenced

The owners of the commercial diving boat that erupted into flames during a Labor Day weekend accident off the coast of Southern California are now seeking to avoid payouts to the families of the 34 people who died onboard.

On Thursday, Glen and Dana Fritzler of Truth Aquatics, which owned the now-destroyed Conception, filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, arguing they shouldn’t owe a single cent for the tragedy, the Associated Press reported.

The Fritzlers are attempting to make their case by using the Shipowner’s Limitation of Liability Act of 1851, a statute frequently used in waterway accidents. The couple has requested that the judge either waive their financial liability or adjust it to the boat’s post-fire value ― in this case, $0.

The law was most famously used by the shipping company White Star Lines after the 1912 Titanic disaster during which more than 1,500 passengers were killed on the ship’s maiden voyage. In that instance, the company’s liability was evaluated at $92,000, which equaled the worth of the surviving lifeboats.
Sounds reasonable.

• Banned

The customers all booked on the boat knowing what they were getting with the confined sleeping space. They chose the cheaper ticket on that boat instead of chartering something more expensive with more room.

A liberal mindset will look for somebody else to blame. A Conservative mindset will accept personal responsibility for life's decisions.
Nope, I assure you that none of these passengers were told that there was a chance that they could be burned to death and also did not consider the possibility of this at all. The fact is that they might have been told that there was a smoke detector (that never went off by the way). Do you really believe that an Apple engineer took his entire family scuba diving and was focused on the boat burning? Didn't happen, what these people did focus on was being safe under water, period

Sounds reasonable.
34 people burning to death might have been reasonable to Nazis in Nazi Germany, but I assure you it is our responsibility to do better than that for all

Nope, I assure you that none of these passengers were told that there was a chance that they could be burned to death and also did not consider the possibility of this at all. The fact is that they might have been told that there was a smoke detector (that never went off by the way). Do you really believe that an Apple engineer took his entire family scuba diving and was focused on the boat burning? Didn't happen, what these people did focus on was being safe under water, period

You are always responsible for your own safety.

Looking at the pictures of the sleeping quarters it looked to be very crowded with limited access. They took that risk.

A smoke detector is a good safety device but sometimes they fail. All technology is liable to fail. No guarantees on anything in life like that.

Getting into a confined boat with a lot of other people is by itself is risky. They chose to do it.

We all make decisions in our lives. We can't always blame our bad decisions on somebody else.

The families will get money out of the settlement with the insurance company to the limit of the liability and maybe the owner has some other wealth they can tap. I am sure a jury will find him negligent.

However, I bet I wouldn't ever make it to the jury because I believe in personal responsibility.

Looking at the pictures of the sleeping quarters it looked to be very crowded with limited access. They took that risk.

A smoke detector is a good safety device but sometimes they fail. All technology is liable to fail. No guarantees on anything in life like that.

Getting into a confined boat with a lot of other people is by itself is risky. They chose to do it.

We all make decisions in our lives. We can't always blame our bad decisions on somebody else.

The families will get money out of the settlement with the insurance company to the limit of the liability and maybe the owner has some other wealth they can tap. I am sure a jury will find him negligent.

However, I bet I wouldn't ever make it to the jury because I believe in personal responsibility.
Face the facts kid. No person will ever sail with these but hers again, they are done and over. The crew was negligent as no watch was awake and the smoke detector that would have awoken everyone never went off.

No body is buried and these clowns might all be headed to prison

Face the facts kid. No person will ever sail with these but hers again, they are done and over. The crew was negligent as no watch was awake and the smoke detector that would have awoken everyone never went off.

Thanks for calling me a kid. Nobody has done that for decades. Many decades.

A slick ambulance chasing lawyer will get a nice settlement out of the insurance company and whatever assets the boat owner has that are not protected . You don't have to worry your little head over that. We have a filthy entitlement mentality in this country and the legal system exploits that to the hilt.

However, that doesn't negate the fact that every person is responsible for their own personal safety and those people took a risk by going on the boat. They took a risk they were going to be crammed into crowded sleeping quarters, that the smoke alarm may not work and the crew may not man a watch like they should. They paid for that cheaper ticket with their lives, didn't they?

Like I said, the families of the victims would not like for me to be on the jury. They would love to have you on the jury.

This is why people create corporations. To avoid person responsibility.

A slick ambulance chasing lawyer will get a nice settlement out of the insurance company and whatever assets the boat owner has that are not protected . You don't have to worry your little head over that. We have a filthy entitlement mentality in this country and the legal system exploits that to the hilt.

However, that doesn't negate the fact that every person is responsible for their own personal safety and those people took a risk by going on the boat. They took a risk they were going to be crammed into crowded sleeping quarters, that the smoke alarm may not work and the crew may not man a watch like they should. They paid for that cheaper ticket with their lives, didn't they?

Like I said, the families of the victims would not like for me to be on the jury. They would love to have you on the jury.

I call everyone a kid who has the mentality of a child like you do.

34 people are dead, you do not know that there was neither gross negligence of foul play that said defending the deaths of 34 people makes you Satan

That there were no escape hatches in the sleeping quarters is inexcusable.
But the coast guard okayed the setup so......
The government at the time also allowed not enough lifeboats for every person on the Titanic. Change happened. I hope the Coast Guard gets sued too

I call everyone a kid who has the mentality of a child like you do.

34 people are dead, you do not know that there was neither gross negligence of foul play that said defending the deaths of 34 people makes you Satan

You obviously don't understand the concept of personal responsibility. Kind of like my six year old granddaughter.

Forum List

Back