Overlord

Discussion in 'Military' started by Oddball, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Of all the desperate battles of all the desperate wars in human history, none grab my attention and imagination like the Normandy Invasion....And it's something that goes beyond the coincidental dates.

The quasi-romantic flag waving accounts and projections of historians of why those all-too-young boys did what they did don't interest me at all....That they did what they did, in many cases against overwhelming odds, is more than enough of a human epic without all the "Boy Scouts versus Hitler Youth" narrative.

Consequently, I have scoured a zillion links and sites, soaking up all the info I can.

Here's one that contains the list of lists of all the liberated towns and their memorials.

Cities of 1944 in Normandy

[​IMG]

Please, post your links, stories from friends and family, or anything else....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon a great crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened, he will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man to man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

~ Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

3. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    TheCowSpokeFrench.com

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,028
    Omaha Beach would have ended in disaster if not for a Certain General with a well known name. And he was no boy.

If Normandy interests you, you really should read up on the Marine Operations in the Pacific. While not on the grand scale of Normandy they too involved young men landing on beaches and then being left to clear or die on those beaches. Iwo Jima was a massive undertaking. Involving , by the end, 75000 troops. And it all hinged on the first three days.

5. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    I once had a mentor, this great man's name was Walt Spinti, and he was a Marine, really just a young man at that time, and he landed at Tarawa. Igamine that! "Go, die now, save Western civilisation, go, do it now!"

When ever I think life is kicking my ass, or I have it tough, I remember this man, and I try to down a cup of shut the fuck up.

Then the caffine gets me going again.

Still, they do not call them the Greatest Generation for no reason.

They were, the same men who fronted up at Marathon, Thermoploye, Salamis; God damed they were.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Yeah....That General's name is Collins.

Teddy Roosevelt jr landed at Utah.

I've rather extensively examined the PTO as well...Please don't derail.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,028
    Tarawa, where an entire regiment waded across open water for 1800 yards against murderous fire by dug in Japanese defenders to help the first wave take the beaches.

8. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206

Life is short, and some men are brave. Some men are perfect, if only in a moment of bravery.

I am an idiot, a drunk, a fool, or that is what I have become; but I am still intelligent enough to salute them.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Ten or so years from now and that entire generation will be but a memory.

Statistically, most of those suviving men who landed on that beach in 1944 probably have a lower chance of suviviving another 18 months than they had the day they landed on that beach to liberate Europe.

As a boomer, the WWII generation loomed so very large in our minds, )everybody we knew was involved in WWII!) they seemed to be in control of our world so long (consider how long the WWII generation controlled Congress for example) that their passing marks a huge change in our world.

I look at my boomer generation and think " My God there are no adults left in charge of the world!"

10. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Numerous stories from veterans of the day here:

D-Day, Normandy and beyond

Sorry.....Can't copy-n-paste anything from this copyrighted site.