Overanalyzing the Red State Mindset

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
www.townhall.com/columnists/dianawest/printdw20041129.shtml

The New York Times--which, like a frightened squid, keeps squirting gushers of ink at Bush-voters--now declares that television remains "far more likely to keep pumping from the deep well of murder, mayhem and transgression than seek diversion along the straight and narrow path."

And somehow the Times is trying to pin the cause for this cultural decline on Bush voters. By adding exit poll numbers to neilson ratings, the newspaper fancies it has come up with Something Quite Profound. "Many Who Voted for 'Values' Still Like Their Television Sin," the newspaper headlined, arguing that "the supposed cultural divide is more like a cultural mind meld." Why? Because "Housewives and "C.S.I." are both blue-and red- state hits. This is supposed to mean something:namely, that "values voters"--that ill defined and slim slice of polling data that, the debunked stroy goes, alone re-elected George W. Bush--are watching sex-and violence- drenched "entertainment" and that this is a paradox. Why, the newspaper wonders, would all those "values voters" become no-values viewers?

It's a faulty premise. Not only does it depend on a zero-sum vision of free will and personality, but also it implies that pulling the lever for" traditional" marriage or agianst abortion eliminates curiosity, boredom, bad taste and maybe even sin from the human condition.

Even more dubious is the evidence. "In the greater Atlanta market, reaching more than 2 million households, 'Desperate Housewives' is the top rated show," the newspaper reported. "Nearly 58 percent if the voters in those counties voted for President Bush." Im no statistician, but it would seem that the 42 percent of Atlanta-area voters who didn't go for W. cold also have boosted the smut-in-suburbia hit to the top of the ratings.

But give the Times' its pet theory; lets say Bush voters are "Housewives" fans. What then? That, of course, makes Bush voters frauds and hypocrites. And there's nothing that enlivens a dispirited non- Bush voter more than "evidence" in the "newspaper of record" that Bush voters, particularly "values voters" are frauds and hypocrites.

I marvel at the puny mind that sees in all of literature and film only either-or; that is, two main plot lines: "Joan of Arcadia" ashow that features a 16-year-old girl's encounters with God in different disguises, and "C.S.I.,"a show that features forensics technicians' encounters with different wounds. So much for the human experience.

I have to admit this is a clever bit of spin.

Here's one thing they didn't consider: Maybe not all bush supporters are bible thumping radicals.

Forgetting politics, it is an interesting observation that for a country whose main concern when they went into the voting booths was "values", the most popular shows are about sinners who sin repeatedly and unrepentantly. Screw the "hyprocrit" and "Bush-voter" and "red state" language; its an interesting observation when view from a completely a-political perspective.

nakedemperor said:
Forgetting politics, it is an interesting observation that for a country whose main concern when they went into the voting booths was "values", the most popular shows are about sinners who sin repeatedly and unrepentantly. Screw the "hyprocrit" and "Bush-voter" and "red state" language; its an interesting observation when view from a completely a-political perspective.

Except it wasn't their main concern. It was the one choice that had multiple answers to it. If you put all of the Foreign policy choices together it beats it by more than double. Since it was such a vague question it is easy to get a higher number because so many things can fit into "moral" values.

nakedemperor said:

those shows are created in the blue state with the biggest lack of moral and etchical behavoiur....hollywierd...a modern day sodom and gamorah

nakedemperor said:

From a religious viewpoint, you would think that mankind is predisposed to sinful behavior from these ratings.

further, this whole thing is just ridiculous....the dimwits pick a northerner that was over educated in europe, has rich kid hobbies, expensive ties and suits, married rich, never worked a day in his life, shit on the military, shot a kid in the back, never did jack shit in the senate....and they say us red dots were too stupid to vote against bush....and the blame the whole thing on the fact that we have morals ethics and values....can't possible be that they made a mistake assuming we were all too stupid to see they picked a pompus ass

I have to admit I watched. But I'm a neocon. We're just straussian. The biggest of hypocrites.

manu1959 said:
those shows are created in the blue state with the biggest lack of moral and etchical behavoiur....hollywierd...a modern day sodom and gamorah

Suppliers sell to demand, buyers don't buy just because its being sold.

nakedemperor said:
Suppliers sell to demand, buyers don't buy just because its being sold.

they sell to advertisers who need to buy advertising to justify their advertising budget and expense account...they buy time based on viewership data supplied by the the same industry that creats the shows....they people that watch the shows have two choices watch the crap or don't....in either case the crap is created by blue dots not red ones....there are 30+million blue dots, another 80 million that didnt vote, plus kids....don't tell me the crap on tv is kept there because of 35 million red dots

Funny, they act as though this is like some actual analysis. Would it really suprise people to know Desperate Housewives is on in red states? i mean even assuming all Bush supporters are moral people. there are Bush haters in those states. well maybe not in utah or nebraska or oklahoma. but seriously did they stop to think about any of this?

im sure however that there are more than likely some Bush supporters watching Desperate Housewives. However, i think its a bit naive to assume that simply because they supported Bush they somehow have moral values at the top of the list. Therefore they are hypocrites. the reasoning doesnt follow.

As for me i have no idea when Desperate Housewives is on. no desire to know. its not worth an hour of my life every week. I have more important things to do. but if people really want to waste their time on it. well more power to them.

manu1959 said:
they sell to advertisers who need to buy advertising to justify their advertising budget and expense account...they buy time based on viewership data supplied by the the same industry that creats the shows....they people that watch the shows have two choices watch the crap or don't....in either case the crap is created by blue dots not red ones....there are 30+million blue dots, another 80 million that didnt vote, plus kids....don't tell me the crap on tv is kept there because of 35 million red dots

You mistook my meaning. The viewers make a show popular by watching it. I wasn't talking about red dots or blue dots, I was talking about the public at large. I think the housewives show is crap, but many people eat it up. My question was why, and had nothing to do with red/blue. I was merely pointing out that production companies wouldn't make crap t.v. if the consumer didn't watch crap t.v.

Funny, they act as though this is like some actual analysis. Would it really suprise people to know Desperate Housewives is on in red states? i mean even assuming all Bush supporters are moral people. there are Bush haters in those states. well maybe not in utah or nebraska or oklahoma. but seriously did they stop to think about any of this?

im sure however that there are more than likely some Bush supporters watching Desperate Housewives. However, i think its a bit naive to assume that simply because they supported Bush they somehow have moral values at the top of the list. Therefore they are hypocrites. the reasoning doesnt follow.

As for me i have no idea when Desperate Housewives is on. no desire to know. its not worth an hour of my life every week. I have more important things to do. but if people really want to waste their time on it. well more power to them.

That is the point Avatar, anyone can pick numbers and correlate them to fit their point of view which is why this is such a weak point. It shows the Times as grasping at straws to pander to disgruntled Liberals.. Additionally I don't find anything immoral about CSI ?? Its a show about forensic scientists solving murders, there really isn't anything that gorifies violence, the only thing I can say is it can be very graphic but so what, that doesn't bother me in the context in which it is presented. the lead characters have integrity and do their job.

nakedemperor said:
You mistook my meaning. The viewers make a show popular by watching it. I wasn't talking about red dots or blue dots, I was talking about the public at large. I think the housewives show is crap, but many people eat it up. My question was why, and had nothing to do with red/blue. I was merely pointing out that production companies wouldn't make crap t.v. if the consumer didn't watch crap t.v.

Ross I see the point you are making, and I have no interest in that show either, so yes it is the bottom line that drives entertainment, that said I can also say that there have been many lets say worldly or trashy immoral shows I have watched, but never did it mean I went out and emulated the shallow actions of the characters, I saw them for what they were and viewed the shows strickly as entertainment. Seinfeld is a good example of that, those characters were as deep as puddles with absolutely very little in the way of integrity or layers, but still it was very funny, because you could seperate yourself form the show and see it exactly for what it was.......South Park the same!! and so on

I've never watched the show..... is it worth a hoot? I don't know anybody that does watch the show (or at least, nobody I know admits it). Just the name of the show and its premise turns me off to wanting to watch it........

freeandfun1 said:
I've never watched the show..... is it worth a hoot? I don't know anybody that does watch the show (or at least, nobody I know admits it). Just the name of the show and its premise turns me off to wanting to watch it........

I never have either, I think it just sounds so shallow and devoid of any substance, not to mention lack of reality, but I suppose for many it's just escapism.

Bonnie said:
I never have either, I think it just sounds so shallow and devoid of any substance, not to mention lack of reality, but I suppose for many it's just escapism.

I like Carnival on HBO and also Deadwood. I can't wait for them to come back on....

The lesson that liberals have failed to learn from the last election is that mainstream America can consume the diversions offered by Hollywood, while simultaneously understanding that the glitterati are pretty much full of shit. It's a diversion, that's all. It's entertainment.

One of the inherent weaknesses of the liberal mindset is the arrogance that causes them to overinflate their own significance.

musicman said:
The lesson that liberals have failed to learn from the last election is that mainstream America can consume the diversions offered by Hollywood, while simultaneously understanding that the glitterati are pretty much full of shit. It's a diversion, that's all. It's entertainment.

One of the inherent weaknesses of the liberal mindset is the arrogance that causes them to overinflate their own significance.

Very true! by the way check out the Star magazine this week, yes I know it's not on anyones preferred reading list, but, pictures of the deperate housewives and other pinups without makeup :eek2: Worth a peek!!

Forum List

Back