Outrage: Obama Admin Says Texans Can't Arrest UN Observers Even If They Violate Law

These international observers can be counted on to obey the law, but you cannot say that about the conservative groups that are the vocal opponents to allowing them around. Why are they defensive? What do they have to hide? A free and fair election should stand up to any amount of scrutiny.

We have laws.... If you are not voting, stay 100 ft away....PERIOD !

The UN guys will be allowed to peek and inspect you when you vote in Texas.

Not me.... I've Already voted.

:dance:

Obama does not have the power to stop state law.

Obama has every right and duty to uphold the constitution. A valid international treaty supersedes state law.

Bullshit commie bastard.

You're dumber than a doorknob.

No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.

What's the surprise that Texans do not want the UN roaming around their state?
I'm not a Texan, and I don't want the UN roaming around any state. I also don't want the United States Federal Government placing the UN in other countries to roam freely and without being subjected to local law. This isn't a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of opinion and the direction the world is taking. Some of us "Americans" do prefer not to part of a global government. There is no reason why the world can't evolve to work together towards common goals, without a central world government. Respecting every states/countries sovereign rights.

With that said, if Texans don't want the UN observing in their state, they should respect that. They can just as easily observe in a more receptive area of the country. The Federal Government continues to overstep its boundaries at home, and aboard. What's next? The abolishment of state government? Instead of state level locale leadership we will have administers of federal law. They already seem to override the will of the people and state laws. Voted on by the states for the states. This is just another example of that.

Last edited:
You stupid bunch of wingnut assholes. You haven't yet figured out that OSCE is not the UN. You haven't yet figured out that our membership in the organization was signed by GWH Bush in 1990. You fucking morons are too stupid to realize that American signed treaties trump some tin foil state laws.

Now go and fucking secede, Texas. Good fucking riddance. On your own, you'll be back as part of Mexico in no time, and the Real Americans won't have to put up with your chauvinistic belief in your own exceptionalism.
A Texan took your girlfriend away from you once, didn't she?

It would never happen. Most Texans have big mouths and small dicks. So why do Texans want to piss on our constitution, and violate a validly signed international treaty? Sounds like more Texan bullshit and bluster.
Hey...did you know that the US Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land?

Translation: Texas can ass fuck ANY international treaty it wants to ass fuck when exercising Texas' US Constitutional rights (which encompasses Texas' sovereignty as a state).

Neat.

I'm not a Texan, and I don't want the UN roaming around any state. I also don't want the United States Federal Government placing the UN in other countries to roam freely and without being subjected to local law. This isn't a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of opinion and the direction the world is taking. Some of us "Americans" do prefer not to part of a global government. There is no reason why the world can't evolve to work together towards common goals, without a central world government. Respecting every states/countries sovereign rights.

With that said, if Texans don't want the UN observing in their state, they should respect that. They can just as easily observe in a more receptive area of the country. The Federal Government continues to overstep its boundaries at home, and aboard. What's next? The abolishment of state government? Instead of state level locale leadership we will have administers of federal law. They already seem to override the will of the people and state laws. Voted on by the states for the states. This is just another example of that.
I don't give a shit about Texas, personally. But, as an American, it is an insult to have the UN here...in any state.

Last edited:

I don't give a shit about Texas, personally. But, as an American, it is an insult to have the UN here...in any state.

We give the most money to those bastards too and they hang out in posh UN offices in New York all day, isn't that enough?

Why am i not surprised this Administration would take this stance? 'President of the World' for ya i guess. Is it Election Day yet? Can't come soon enough. Time for a President of the United States of America.

In a development that should outrage every red-blooded, patriotic American...

Every red-blooded, patriotic American should understand the US Constitution and the role the Executive branch plays in foreign treaties and relations with Diplomatic entities.

International election observers planning to visit Texas polling places have “full immunity” from being arrested in the United States, the State Department said when discussing a letter from the Texas Attorney General.

Read more: Outrage: Obama Admin. Says Texans Can't Arrest UN Observers Even if They Violate Texas Law | Restoring Liberty

Right wing bloggers always go on about the Constitution while possessing at best, a sophomoric understanding of constitutional issues.

The Hill (hardly a right wing publication):
International monitors at US polling spots draw criticism from voter fraud groups

By Alexander Bolton - 10/20/12 12:00 PM ET

United Nations-affiliated election monitors from Europe and central Asia will be at polling places around the U.S. looking for voter suppression activities by conservative groups, a concern raised by civil rights groups during a meeting this week. The intervention has drawn criticism from a prominent conservative-leaning group combating election fraud.
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), a United Nations partner on democratization and human rights projects, will deploy 44 observers from its human rights office around the country on Election Day to monitor an array of activities, including potential disputes at polling places. It's part of a broader observation mission that will send out an additional 80 to 90 members of parliament from nearly 30 countries.
More at the website.

Who is going to be where:
United Nations Election Observer Deployment 2012

What Attorney General Abbott actually has said:
Houston Chronicle (click for entire article)

AUSTIN – State Attorney General Greg Abbott's admonition that international election observers – part of what the Texas Secretary of State's office called a long-standing exchange program to promote learning – could be criminally prosecuted if they overstep Texas law was deemed "unacceptable" by the group's director.
The flap was prompted when Abbott wrote a letter to Ambassador Daan Everts at the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights in the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe.
The Republican attorney general, in a press release announcing the letter Tuesday, noted the group is "a United Nations partner." Some conservatives and tea party groups have been vocal in their suspicion toward the United Nations.
Abbott said in the letter that the ambassador reportedly had met "with a group of organizations that have filed lawsuits challenging election integrity laws enacted by the Texas Legislature," including Project Vote, which he described as being "closely affiliated with ACORN."
Abbott wrote that Project Vote and other organizations had said in a letter to Everts that the OSCE had identified Voter ID laws as a barrier to voting rights, urging the organization to monitor states that had enacted them.
"The OSCE may be entitled to its opinions about Voter ID laws, but your opinion is legally irrelevant in the United States, where the Supreme Court has already determined that Voter ID laws are constitutional," Abbott wrote.
Texas' Voter ID law has been blocked by a federal three-judge panel, citing its effect on the poor, racial minorities and Latinos.
Abbott concluded his letter by saying the Texas Election Code governs all election participants; that the organization's representatives are not authorized to enter a polling place; and that it "may be a criminal offense for OSCE's representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place's entrance."
"Failure to comply with these requirements could subject the OSCE's representatives to criminal prosecution for violating state law," Abbott wrote.

It boils down to two broads in Austin, one from the Netherlands, and one from the United Kingdom. Nobody is going to dick with them in Austin. It'll be friendly territory.

Why am i not surprised this Administration would take this stance? 'President of the World' for ya i guess. Is it Election Day yet? Can't come soon enough. Time for a President of the United States of America.

In a development that should outrage every red-blooded, patriotic American, the Obama Administration announced that international observers in the United States cannot be arrested by state law enforcement even if the United Nations representatives violate state law.

As we publicized earlier this week, “United Nations-affiliated election monitors from Europe and central Asia will be at polling places around the U.S. looking for voter suppression activities by conservative groups.” [Click on this "Limited Election Observation Mission to the United States of America" list to see where the international observers will be deploying in your state.]

Unlike Alaska’s current passivity, Texas confronted this offensive intrusion by international observers with a warning from its Attorney General’s office: “[G]roups and individuals from outside the United States do not have jurisdiction to interfere with Texas elections.” The Attorney General himself also threatened that,

individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas. This State has robust election laws that were carefully crafted to protect the integrity of our election system. All persons—including persons connected with OSCE—are required to comply with these laws.

Elections and election observation are regulated by state law. The Texas Election Code governs anyone who participates in Texas elections—including representatives of the OSCE. The OSCE’s representatives are not authorized by Texas law to enter a polling place. It may be a criminal offense for OSCE’s representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place’s entrance. Failure to comply with these requirements could subject the OSCE’s representatives to criminal prosecution for violating state law...

Read more: Outrage: Obama Admin. Says Texans Can't Arrest UN Observers Even if They Violate Texas Law | Restoring Liberty
Outrage: Obama Admin. Says Texans Can

Anybody still think Obama is gonna lose?

A Texan took your girlfriend away from you once, didn't she?

It would never happen. Most Texans have big mouths and small dicks. So why do Texans want to piss on our constitution, and violate a validly signed international treaty? Sounds like more Texan bullshit and bluster.

Translation: Texas can ass fuck ANY international treaty it wants to ass fuck when exercising Texas' US Constitutional rights (which encompasses Texas' sovereignty as a state).

Neat.

Translation. The Constitution gives treaties the power of law. Texas can't make up laws that violate our treaties.

Neat.

Translation. The Constitution gives treaties the power of law. Texas can't make up laws that violate our treaties.
Who is "making up" any laws?

And, the US Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land. If you need me to link to the definition of 'supreme', I'll be happy to do so.

In a development that should outrage every red-blooded, patriotic American, the Obama Administration announced that international observers in the United States cannot be arrested by state law enforcement even if the United Nations representatives violate state law.

As we publicized earlier this week, “United Nations-affiliated election monitors from Europe and central Asia will be at polling places around the U.S. looking for voter suppression activities by conservative groups.” [Click on this "Limited Election Observation Mission to the United States of America" list to see where the international observers will be deploying in your state.]

Unlike Alaska’s current passivity, Texas confronted this offensive intrusion by international observers with a warning from its Attorney General’s office: “[G]roups and individuals from outside the United States do not have jurisdiction to interfere with Texas elections.” The Attorney General himself also threatened that,

individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas. This State has robust election laws that were carefully crafted to protect the integrity of our election system. All persons—including persons connected with OSCE—are required to comply with these laws.

Elections and election observation are regulated by state law. The Texas Election Code governs anyone who participates in Texas elections—including representatives of the OSCE. The OSCE’s representatives are not authorized by Texas law to enter a polling place. It may be a criminal offense for OSCE’s representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place’s entrance. Failure to comply with these requirements could subject the OSCE’s representatives to criminal prosecution for violating state law...

The U.N. is comprised of the biggest losers from all over the world. I don't trust them one iota. And with diplomatic immunity, they could literally rape or murder and the police can't touch them. They could interfere with elections and threaten people and the police could only stand and watch, but can't stop them.

The U.N. has a clear agenda that is anti-American and those pieces of shit have no business anywhere near our polls.

Neat.

And, the US Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land. If you need me to link to the definition of 'supreme', I'll be happy to do so.

If Texas tries to apply its election law, to keep monitors away from the process, they're making up a law that violates the Constitutional power of international treaties. They have no practical reason to evade our treaty obligations, unless there's something they want hidden, like voter suppression.

I suggest you understand the power that the Constitution grants the President, with advise and consent, of the Senate, regarding treaties, and the States are bound by them.

If Texas tries to apply its election law, to keep monitors away from the process, they're making up a law that violates the Constitutional power of international treaties. They have no practical reason to evade our treaty obligations, unless there's something they want hidden, like voter suppression.

I suggest you understand the power that the Constitution grants the President, with advise and consent, of the Senate, regarding treaties, and the States are bound by them.
What "Constitutional power of international treaties"?

Supreme...I'm sure you know what that means.

The U.N. is comprised of the biggest losers from all over the world. I don't trust them one iota. And with diplomatic immunity, they could literally rape or murder and the police can't touch them. They could interfere with elections and threaten people and the police could only stand and watch, but can't stop them.

The U.N. has a clear agenda that is anti-American and those pieces of shit have no business anywhere near our polls.

The OSCE is not the UN. Please stop perpetuating this lie.

Forum List

Back