CDZ Outdated military thinking and an internal resistance to change

"Defeating an invasion is not the definition of a stalemate. It's the definition of a victory.

Just for a comparison, the Iraqi military had 1,500,000 soldiers, 5000 tanks, 10,000 armored fighting vehicles, 10,000+ artillery pieces, 450 aircraft, and 180 helicopters by the end of the Iran-Iraq war.

Iraq had only 450,000 military personnel by 2003, in which only 90,000 of them were modernized. Half of them were disloyal. Iraq had no military infrastructure, air defenses, and virtually no heavy armor or artillery."

1. We are talking Gulf War 1, not 2.

2. Fine, Iran "defeated" the Iraqi invasion then was unable to take over Iraq because the 1987 Iranian military was not meaningfully superior to the Iraqi military which we walked over in 1990.

What Iranian weapon(s) is(are) the biggest threat to our carrier task force?

I am not up on the Iranian military, I do not know.

Here's a list of Iranian anti-ship missiles

- Kowsar: Immune to electronic jamming
- Nasr-1: Undetectable missile that can be fired from land, air, and sea.
- Zafar: Pinpoint precision missile attached to light craft
- Persian Gulf: 650kg anti-ship ballistic missile with 300 km range and an evasion guidance system. More than capable of destroying an aircraft carrier.
Noor - Long range anti-ship missile capable of destroying large and medium ships
Qader - Prototype medium ranged anti-ship cruise missile with advanced navigation, evasion guidance, and electronic jamming. Can be fired from land, air, and sea.
Raad- Untested heavy missile believed capable of high speeds

Category:Anti-ship missiles of Iran - Wikipedia

Here is a page on the Iran air force: Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force - Wikipedia

They have a mix of modernized western and eastern aircraft. They focus on speed and maneuverability (better for swarming ships) over heavy weapons and armor.

1. We are talking Gulf War 1, not 2.

650,000 military personnel. They had no air defenses, which allowed the coalition air forces to carry out hundreds of devastating strikes completely unopposed. In my opinion, the Iraqi military under Saddam Hussien was one of the most incompetent in modern history.

2. Fine, Iran "defeated" the Iraqi invasion then was unable to take over Iraq because the 1987 Iranian military was not meaningfully superior to the Iraqi military which we walked over in 1990.

1990 was a limited war against a weakened military that was half the size it was two years earlier. They were out of money and supplies, and had no air defenses.

Of course Iran didn't take over Iraq. It was high intensity trench warfare against the third largest military in the world at the time. Iraq was heavily financed and armed by the west, being given illegal chemical weapons by the CIA.

The last time the US fought a conventional war was in 1953 against China and North Korea. A war with Iran would be a conventional war, and not the aerial turkey shoot that Iraq was. Not to mention that the US armed forces have devolved since 1990, whereas the Iranian military has been rapidly modernizing.

Last edited:
What Iranian weapon(s) is(are) the biggest threat to our carrier task force?

I am not up on the Iranian military, I do not know.

Here's a list of Iranian anti-ship missiles

- Kowsar: Immune to electronic jamming
- Nasr-1: Undetectable missile that can be fired from land, air, and sea.
- Zafar: Pinpoint precision missile attached to light craft
- Persian Gulf: 650kg anti-ship ballistic missile with 300 km range and an evasion guidance system. More than capable of destroying an aircraft carrier.
Noor - Long range anti-ship missile capable of destroying large and medium ships
Qader - Prototype medium ranged anti-ship cruise missile with advanced navigation, evasion guidance, and electronic jamming. Can be fired from land, air, and sea.
Raad- Untested heavy missile believed capable of high speeds

Category:Anti-ship missiles of Iran - Wikipedia

Here is a page on the Iran air force: Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force - Wikipedia

They have a mix of modernized western and eastern aircraft. They focus on speed and maneuverability (better for swarming ships) over heavy weapons and armor.

I thanked you for talking about pertinent weapons. THAT is how to have a conversation.

The next step is, have any of these weapons ever been fired in anger to give us an idea how they really do perform?

Think Exocets and the Stark or the Falklands Islands war as examples.

Forum List

Back