"Our carpenters are "union level" or above."

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
Since unions are often mentioned as a bad influence I thought this might be amusing to some. I just had an estimate for some work to be done. He was stating how thorough his workers were, how materials were guaranteed for 30 years, how every detail would be attended to, and, most of all, his carpenters were "union level" or above (his quotes). A measure of excellence? How could that possibly be?

Since unions are often mentioned as a bad influence I thought this might be amusing to some. I just had an estimate for some work to be done. He was stating how thorough his workers were, how materials were guaranteed for 30 years, how every detail would be attended to, and, most of all, his carpenters were "union level" or above (his quotes). A measure of excellence? How could that possibly be?

There is a difference between trade unions and other unions, most notably public unions. Trade unions run their own pensions and benefits, and have to make sure the funds are solvent. Raises have to take into account the economic viability of the increase in labor costs in the market.

Public unions on the other hand seem to believe the taxpayers are an endless source of goodies, and have the added bonus of being significant voting blocks in some municipal areas

Of course there are very skilled union carpenters but that guy threw too many red flags for me. He won't be around to fix anything 29 years from now and union level means nothing in particular except that they aren't union and he isn't paying them union scale wages. But probably charging for it.

It's simply a meaningless buzzword that some low-performing, slow-thinking people (like the OP) actually think means something.

After we moved into our first home, the lights started blinking and a surge protector went up in smoke. I discovered that the main breaker ground wire had corroded.

I called the utility and told them that my ground wire needed replaced. They insisted on sending three (3) union electricians who proceeded to go over the entire house. Two hours later they told me "your ground wire needs replaced".

I got a bill for $300.

Fuck those idiots.

After we moved into our first home, the lights started blinking and a surge protector went up in smoke. I discovered that the main breaker ground wire had corroded.

I called the utility and told them that my ground wire needed replaced. They insisted on sending three (3) union electricians who proceeded to go over the entire house. Two hours later they told me "your ground wire needs replaced".

I got a bill for $300.

Fuck those idiots.
The PoCo is only responsible for power to the meter. The main breaker doesn't have a ground. A bad ground won't make the lights blink or dim and a corroded connection can be cleaned. So someone did sell you a bill of goods.

Personal comment -

As pointed out, Trade Unions have one very important service - they train people in the skills needed. Schooling will produce apprentices who, after time, improve to become journeymen and then masters. This provides the person seeking to determine their skills a standard to view.

I would accept a union journeyman any day!

I got a bill for $300.

Fuck those idiots.
The PoCo is only responsible for power to the meter. The main breaker doesn't have a ground. A bad ground won't make the lights blink or dim and a corroded connection can be cleaned. So someone did sell you a bill of goods.

That was 30 years ago. I may be sketchy on details. Plus, I'm contending with a whopping hangover LOL.

Personal comment -

As pointed out, Trade Unions have one very important service - they train people in the skills needed. Schooling will produce apprentices who, after time, improve to become journeymen and then masters. This provides the person seeking to determine their skills a standard to view.

I would accept a union journeyman any day!
Furthermore they require periodic certification tests.

Forum List

Back