Ouch!!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain! I have a bad rotator cuff from an injury when I was younger and just playing softball for fifteen years. My doctor also told me my tendons or ligaments are frayed and I will probably have to have surgerory at some point. When my bother's me it usually hurts into my neck but I can't lay down.

yep all movement in arm is working now except reaching for my bra or my seatbelt, or scratch my back! Ok so now we know where and what. Can you tell me what the treatment is?

Generally antiinflammatories (ibuprofen or naprosyn), heat/ice, rest (no making beds, cleaning stoves, or using a sledgehammer to pound your truck's frame back into shape). PT is oftentimes helpful, but I think you said you'd been doing PT.

It would probably be a good idea to get to the doctor when you can so they can physically evaluate you and decide if you need imaging or further treatments.
All reasonable. I was allotted 25 physical therapy appointments but had to stop them because of no transportation. Really just after 7 appointments with them I went from feeling like crap to actually feeling 90 percent better. Now this.

I hear you about resting it, but if you saw my stove, you would have spanked me to get on cleaning it. :lol:

It feels like the bone though, not the muscle that is how deep the pain feels.

Tendonitis (which is really what you are experiencing) is generally felt like a deep pain.

But that is why something like an xray would be important to make sure it isn't something in the bone.

since we are asking you questions Dr. Xotoxi. Is it your sciatic nerve if the pain is in your lower back and hip?

Generally antiinflammatories (ibuprofen or naprosyn), heat/ice, rest (no making beds, cleaning stoves, or using a sledgehammer to pound your truck's frame back into shape). PT is oftentimes helpful, but I think you said you'd been doing PT.

It would probably be a good idea to get to the doctor when you can so they can physically evaluate you and decide if you need imaging or further treatments.
All reasonable. I was allotted 25 physical therapy appointments but had to stop them because of no transportation. Really just after 7 appointments with them I went from feeling like crap to actually feeling 90 percent better. Now this.

I hear you about resting it, but if you saw my stove, you would have spanked me to get on cleaning it. :lol:

It feels like the bone though, not the muscle that is how deep the pain feels.

Tendonitis (which is really what you are experiencing) is generally felt like a deep pain.

But that is why something like an xray would be important to make sure it isn't something in the bone.
any position that relieves the pressure or stress in the area so I can sleep?

I feel your pain! I have a bad rotator cuff from an injury when I was younger and just playing softball for fifteen years. My doctor also told me my tendons or ligaments are frayed and I will probably have to have surgerory at some point. When my bother's me it usually hurts into my neck but I can't lay down.
OH I hope that isn't what I will need. No surgery PLEASE!

Love my doctor but she listens to me too much. LOL I told her no MRI is needed, that I'm better and it is probably just muscle soreness. She insisted I go to PT anyway so I gave into that. Dang, now I have to go back to her and ask for an MRI.

How do you say your sorry to your doctor or a big thank you?

I injured my rotator cuff orginally the most stupid way too. I lifted an empty sports bag. :lol:
Then instead of not using it I had to try out for the basketball team a week later, so it never fully healed I think.
I used to play third base and last year I played the postion in jack and jill softball I couldn't even throw it to first base. I used to be able to throw to home from the outfield. :)

I injured my rotator cuff orginally the most stupid way too. I lifted an empty sports bag. :lol:
Then instead of not using it I had to try out for the basketball team a week later, so it never fully healed I think.
I used to play third base and last year I played the postion in jack and jill softball I couldn't even throw it to first base. I used to be able to throw to home from the outfield. :)
I was trying to figure out how I hurt mine for I never felt any grabbing pain from any one movement. The only thing I came up with is this:

I was playing the Wii and was bowling with my right arm. My right arm got tired a little so I switched to my left arm and threw two balls with it. Arm extending upward. It was about 3 or 4 days after this is when the pain started and I noticed it while laying down. When I awoke the next day I couldn't move it at all.

I completely rested it for two weeks, then slowly I started to stretch until I started to feel strong pain and backed off. After two months I went to see my doctor and that is when PT started. Like I said by the time I started to do PT my range of motion came back at about 65 pecent.

that will do it. Every time I play darts my arm hurts for days, you probably just injured it and didn't realize it.

I literally woke up six hours later with my head on my desk and my face in a pile of drool...

Is it safe to assume that this is not your usual state?

I knew that line would get a call-out. :lol:

Normally I am quite lucid - though I did score some amazing herb last weekend that we vaped well into the evening that left me in a similar condition...

Impingement is where the supraspinatus muscle of the rotator gets pinched up near where is says acromion. When the arm is lifted out to the side, the space between the humerus and the acromion gets narrow...and if you have arthritic thickening of the acromion, the space gets even more narrow and can pinch the supraspinatus muscle.

However, where you are describing the pain, it is more likely the subscapularis muscle that is involved. It is one of the four rotator cuff muscles. It turns the arm inward.

I bet you can't reach back to fasten your bra without pain.
yep all movement in arm is working now except reaching for my bra or my seatbelt, or scratch my back! Ok so now we know where and what. Can you tell me what the treatment is?

A side question for you:

What is your impression of osteopathic manipulative therapy (not the D.O. degree)? I know that the degree was founded on OMT, but less than 97% of DOs use it.

I guess that kind of answers my question, but I was curious as to your thoughts.

Just curious since I just sat through a 30 minute intro to OMT on this rotation I am on now.

Forum List

Back