Orwell wrote nonfiction

DOTR

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2016
Down the memory hole...leftists are moving to change the Wikipedia entry from “Spanish Flu” to “1918 Pandemic Flu” to provide cover for their attacks on America’s President.

Orwell was prescient. “He who controls the past controls the future”.

Spanish flu - Wikipedia

C0177316-9F07-40CF-B2D3-8DB1FC5F0236.png

https://www.history.com/news/why-was-it-called-the-spanish-flu

...Spain was one of only a few major European countries to remain neutral during World War I. Unlike in the Allied and Central Powers nations, where wartime censors suppressed news of the flu to avoid affecting morale, the Spanish media was free to report on it in gory detail. News of the sickness first made headlines in Madrid in late-May 1918, and coverage only increased after the Spanish King Alfonso XIII came down with a nasty case a week later. Since nations undergoing a media blackout could only read in depth accounts from Spanish news sources, they naturally assumed that the country was the pandemic’s ground zero. The Spanish, meanwhile, believed the virus had spread to them from France, so they took to calling it the “French Flu.”

While it’s unlikely that the “Spanish Flu” originated in Spain, scientists are still unsure of its source. France, China and Britain have all been suggested as the potential birthplace of the virus, as has the United States, where the first known case was reported at a military base in Kansas on March 11, 1918...

I can think of no reason to change the moniker assigned to the 1918 flu pandemic, but I think people should know why it is referred to as "The Spanish Flu."

They should add a date for each flu, like "1918 Spanish Flu" and "2020 Wuhan Flu" in the future there may be more flu outbreaks.

https://www.history.com/news/why-was-it-called-the-spanish-flu

...Spain was one of only a few major European countries to remain neutral during World War I. Unlike in the Allied and Central Powers nations, where wartime censors suppressed news of the flu to avoid affecting morale, the Spanish media was free to report on it in gory detail. News of the sickness first made headlines in Madrid in late-May 1918, and coverage only increased after the Spanish King Alfonso XIII came down with a nasty case a week later. Since nations undergoing a media blackout could only read in depth accounts from Spanish news sources, they naturally assumed that the country was the pandemic’s ground zero. The Spanish, meanwhile, believed the virus had spread to them from France, so they took to calling it the “French Flu.”

While it’s unlikely that the “Spanish Flu” originated in Spain, scientists are still unsure of its source. France, China and Britain have all been suggested as the potential birthplace of the virus, as has the United States, where the first known case was reported at a military base in Kansas on March 11, 1918...

I can think of no reason to change the moniker assigned to the 1918 flu pandemic, but I think people should know why it is referred to as "The Spanish Flu."

I can think of a reason.

Is “West Nile Virus” racist? Is Middle East Respiratory Syndromes (MERS) racist? Hong Kong Flu?

Yeah, that's very Orwellian.

/sarcasm

It's pretty damn creepy. You don't change history to fit ones narrative in 2020. It's the Spanish Flu.

1. Changing a Wikipedia entry is not changing history. Why does that phrase, 'changing history', get thrown about so much in situations where it clearly does not apply?
2. Spanish Flu is not the only name used for that epidemic. That's actually the argument of a few responders to the Wiki change proposal: supposedly organizations like the CDC and WHO call it the 1918 Flu Pandemic.
3. There's no reason the Wiki entry couldn't include both names, even if the main entry name changed

This might be annoying, or indicative of a desire to be PC, but Orwellian? Sorry, nope.

/sarcasm

It's pretty damn creepy. You don't change history to fit ones narrative in 2020. It's the Spanish Flu.

1. Changing a Wikipedia entry is not changing history. Why does that phrase, 'changing history', get thrown about so much in situations where it clearly does not apply?
2. Spanish Flu is not the only name used for that epidemic. That's actually the argument of a few responders to the Wiki change proposal: supposedly organizations like the CDC and WHO call it the 1918 Flu Pandemic.
3. There's no reason the Wiki entry couldn't include both names, even if the main entry name changed

This might be annoying, or indicative of a desire to be PC, but Orwellian? Sorry, nope.
He who control the present controls the past. The present is pretty well out of control at the moment. Doubt revisionist history being able to change it anytime soon. Spanish Flu is Spanish Flu.

........duh! if they had the communication/technology/science/medicine of today, there would not have many anywhere near as many deaths
so comparisons today are poor

/sarcasm

He who control the present controls the past. The present is pretty well out of control at the moment. Doubt revisionist history being able to change it anytime soon. Spanish Flu is Spanish Flu.

Revisionist history? Changing the title on the Wiki page, to a title that's also used for the same event, is revisionist history?

/sarcasm

Revisionist history? Changing the title on the Wiki page, to a title that's also used for the same event, is revisionist history?
Yep. Revisionism is very incremental or rejected.

The marxist shitstains do love them a good book-burning. I refer to wikipedia..... ummm, never.

The stereotype that everything the Dims touch turns to shit has a lot of truth to it.

/sarcasm

Yep. Revisionism is very incremental or rejected.

It's Wiki, first of all, and it wouldn't have to get rid of the Spanish Flu name, either. The CDC doesn't call it the Spanish Flu, it's not as if Spanish Flu is the only name used for the outbreak. :dunno:

If the idea were to change the information about what happened during the 1918 outbreak, at least that would seem more like actually trying to revise the history. Calling it the 1918 Flu Pandemic, though...

The marxist shitstains do love them a good book-burning. I refer to wikipedia..... ummm, never.

The stereotype that everything the Dims touch turns to shit has a lot of truth to it.

Yeah but its the easiest thing to change first. Wikip[edia is malleable and favored by propagandists. A search of the New York Times will show a shift there as well. It was called Spanish Flu contemporaneously

SPANISH INFLUENZA MUCH LIKE GRIPPE; Malady Found Not Dangerous Unless Neglected, When Pneumonia May Develop--Its History and Symptoms

Its a gradual change

In 1918, It Wasn’t the Coronavirus. It Was the Flu.

But in the end "Spanish Flu" will not exist as a term. Down the memory hole.

Opinion | How New York Survived the Great Pandemic of 1918

Don't even have to burn them now, just update on line over night. My grandkids do a lot of their classwork on computers. Most of their classes did not even issue a book they can take home. I never open them anymore, but I am keeping our 24 years old set of leather bound gold leaf Worldbook Encyclopedia with yearbooks through 2006, though I am on Wikipedia, seems like every day or every other day, and am a contributing supporter.

Don't even have to burn them now, just update on line over night. My grandkids do a lot of their classwork on computers. Most of their classes did not even issue a book they can take home. I never open them anymore, but I am keeping our 24 years old set of leather bound gold leaf Worldbook Encyclopedia with yearbooks through 2006, though I am on Wikipedia, seems like every day or every other day, and am a contributing supporter.

Which articles do you contribute to? Just curious.

Forum List

Back