Oregon launches program to tax drivers by the mile

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'd say David Hastings needs to be kicked in the balls, but he probably doesn't have any. The day before Independence Day and this dumb son of a bitch goes on tv welcoming the idea of having a tracking device installed in his car by the government so he can pay higher gas taxes. Apparently, nobody told him when George Orwell wrote 1984 it was meant to be a warning, not an instruction manual. Dip shit.

David Hastings is a rare American. This long-time hybrid car owner from Oregon wants to pay higher taxes for roads and bridges and says the current 30 cents per gallon state gas tax barely affects him.

"I've been free-loading on the highways for 20 years driving electric cars or hybrid cars, getting at least 40 miles to the gallon. So I haven't been paying my share," Hastings said.

Now, Hastings will pay more thanks to OReGO -- the first pay-by-the-mile program in the U.S.

Oregon’s Department of Transportation has been working on it for 15 years as a way to eventually replace the gas tax, which has been flat due to an influx of high mileage vehicles and people driving less.

Oregon launches program to tax drivers by the mile Fox News

He felt he wasnt paying his share? What was stopping that homo from showing up at city hall with a check to pay his share?

Liberals all want to pay more...but only if they can take everyone else off the cliff with them.

He felt he wasnt paying his share? What was stopping that homo from showing up at city hall with a check to pay his share?

Liberals all want to pay more...but only if they can take everyone else off the cliff with them.
Oregon was one of the first states to make suicide legal. Hastings should act on that.

First off, the concept of penalizing people for buying more efficient vehicles--the ones that keep being pushed into production--is asinine. Anyone who thinks it's okay is borderline developmentally challenged. Secondly, there are plenty of people make stacks of dough who claim to be progressive or left leaning and yet still hire someone to prepare their taxes, and not because their taxes are too complicated or they want to be sure they've paid their fair share. These folks are rich and want to keep their cash just like anyone else--except us, we're supposed to just give it up without so much as an argument.
To these folks I say: Bite me. There's no way in hell I'm going to pay another tax just keep driving.
Wait, I live in California...
California considers replacing gas tax with per-mile charge - San Jose Mercury News

Like cigarette tax revenue that falls as fewer people smoke, the gas tax is a victim of California's success in reducing oil dependency. But California has the most congested freeways in the nation, said state Transportation Secretary Brian Kelly.

"We do want to reduce pollution and greenhouse gases from vehicles. That's a good thing to do," Kelly said. "And it's also a good thing to invest in our infrastructure. We have to find a way to thread the needle and achieve both."

Crikey. :evil:

Forum List

Back