Oregon bill would give homeless $1,000 a month to spend with no restrictions

Only one correction here....The proposed program is not an indefinite proposition....While I think 12 months is too long, I do agree that the study should be around 6 months, and include training, and housing for 6 months, with a caveat that if they are succeeding, then it can be extended monthly for up to the following 6 months....

It would include requirements for

Employment
Drug testing
Training in a marketable skill set
and therapy is required....
and I am going to throw in training in budgeting, and money management (in a rudimentary way) to curb unnecessary spending....
Seems you are already on board for at least part of the program. And what you are suggesting is perfectly reasonable, although I don't agree in every detail.

Are there other things they could spend the money on? ... Absolutely. I just don't see why it would be an either/or proposition.

I do absolutely agree that we should look at the growing problem of homelessness in this country...However, as I have said, just throwing $1000 per month at the problem won't do anything, but flush the money down the drain....

We need to come up with a comprehensive program that is limited in scope. Involves 'buy in' from the people looking to get off the streets, and actually ensures that once completed, these people remain productive members of society...

Neither do I know the answer to your questions. But you don't either. The difference is that you are presupposing an outcome without having data to back it up.
We have mountains of data, dating back generations on homelessness....What we are talking about here is really a couple of things...1. Is this a good idea that Oregon is studying? and 2. What would be a better approach?

some data...

This is the first logical fallacy you are committing. You are simply asserting it will be a waste of time without ever establishing it to be the case. It's what is called begging the question.
It's what I call a question. I do believe it will be a waste of not only time, but taxpayer dollars as well...

Define "handouts" please. Medicaid/Medicare can be considered handouts, but they have been successful in providing medical care.
Medicaid maybe, but Medicare no....Medicare is like SS, paid for our entire working lives....It certainly is NO handout.

Pensions, disability, all are instances of the government providing aid to people who can't afford certain services, are you willing to state they aren't successful in doing this?

Pensions are a dinosaur unless you work for the government, or Union....Most American's don't have a Pension. and Disability are fraught with fraud...So, no, they aren't...

I think the issue is purely about how much handouts are appropriate to give. I'm pretty sure we recognize that there are instances when doing so is a good thing?
Well, generally, like most American's, I have no problem with helping someone who is down on their luck, but, not if it is going to fail to address the core problem that caused them to need help in the first place...That is throwing good money away.

This doesn't seem like a reason for homelessness though. I don't think when given a choice between being working and being homeless a young person would choose homelessness.
Maybe, maybe not....When young, individuals make poor choices....

Can you tell what in your opinion are the right issues and people in the problem?
I've tried to address some of them in other postings in the thread....Thing's we don't teach in High School anymore....Like

Budgeting
Trade training
The importance of Saving money...etc...

Forum List

Back