Orange Cats

Alan Stallion

Civil Rights Advocate
Dec 17, 2009
San Jose, California
A thread devoted to orange cats, a.k.a., gingers, reds, creams, marmalades, tigers, Garfields. Could be famous cats or personal cats you have cared for.

I have not owned a stereotypical orange cat (unless you count tortoiseshell), though that would be one of my cat goals (along with an all-black cat), but I take what I have been blessed with (Tortoiseshell, Russian Blue, Tuxedos, Himalayan, etc.). I do have a friendly neighbor cat that likes to hang out at my place from time to time. There also used to be another orange cat that would fight with my tuxedo cat, but I haven't seen that orange cat much since my tux cat perished.

• All orange cats are tabbies.
  • Orange cats are not a breed.
  • Orange tabbies can have various white coloring, or no white at all
  • Orange tabbies are predominately male, about 80% of the time (the orange coloring is a gene found in the X chromosome. Thus for a female cat to be orange requires both parents to have the orange gene.

More information and detail...

7 Facts You Didn't Know About Orange Cats

🐈

The most famous orange cat was a marmalade tabby cat actor by the name of Orangey (Orangey Minerva).

Orangey (circa 1950-1967) He was very prolific in Hollywood from his first role in the movie Rhubarb (1951) through his last movie role in Village of the Giants (1965)

His most famous role came opposite Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961).

He also had a regular role in Our Miss Brooks (1952-1958)

Orangey's last known appearance was in two consecutive episodes of Batman (1967-8 season) alongside Eartha Kitt.

Orangey would be the only cat to earn two PATSY Awards (Picture Animal Top Star of the Year, the animal actor's version of an Oscar)

Purrable Awards: Orangey

Oh.
We got a fat Garfield...
20171119_190841.jpg

The best bits of Breakfast at Tiffany's, featuring only scenes with Orangey, a.k.a., the slob without a name...

Warning: SPOILERS

Breakfast Cat Tiffany's

The most famous orange cat was a marmalade tabby cat actor by the name of Orangey (Orangey Minerva).

Orangey (circa 1950-1967) He was very prolific in Hollywood from his first role in the movie Rhubarb (1951) through his last movie role in Village of the Giants (1965)

His most famous role came opposite Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961).

He also had a regular role in Our Miss Brooks (1952-1958)

Orangey's last known appearance was in two consecutive episodes of Batman (1967-8 season) alongside Eartha Kitt.

Orangey would be the only cat to earn two PATSY Awards (Picture Animal Top Star of the Year, the animal actor's version of an Oscar)

Purrable Awards: Orangey

Why have I never heard of this cat???

The first TV cat I remember is "Morris the Cat", on the 9 Lives commercials.
I love Morris.

Then came Garfield. Cartoon, yes.........but still.........a cat.

We had an orange male tabby when I was in high school, along with two other cats.
He was a solid piece of muscle. He was large and in charge. His name was "Pepper".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back