ORA Ballet Cat

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I'd say I'd never have a Chinese made vehicle.........but I have a 2012 GMC Acadia, which is made of mostly Chinese parts......so I pretty much drive one already.

ANYWHOOOOO..........

This is pretty funked up and different. Looks like someone from the 1940's went to the future, bought a VW Bug, took it back to 1940 and redisgned it.
Actually, I like it a lot. But being 100% Chinese made, I don't know how long it would last. Pretty neat for an EV. Not boring at all.

I really like the two tones of color and the rear hatch.

===============================================================

Auto-sales-statistics-China-Ora_Ballet_Cat-EV.jpg

ORA_Punk_Cat_001.jpg

Ora-Punk-cat-electric-car-5.jpeg

ora-ballet-cat-6-800x679.jpg

I'd say I'd never have a Chinese made vehicle.........but I have a 2012 GMC Acadia, which is made of mostly Chinese parts......so I pretty much drive one already.

ANYWHOOOOO..........

This is pretty funked up and different. Looks like someone from the 1940's went to the future, bought a VW Bug, took it back to 1940 and redisgned it.
Actually, I like it a lot. But being 100% Chinese made, I don't know how long it would last. Pretty neat for an EV. Not boring at all.

I really like the two tones of color and the rear hatch.

===============================================================

Auto-sales-statistics-China-Ora_Ballet_Cat-EV.jpg

ORA_Punk_Cat_001.jpg

Ora-Punk-cat-electric-car-5.jpeg

ora-ballet-cat-6-800x679.jpg

/----/ I wonder if VW in EU will sue. It's about US $27,000/ €26,000. If you factor in inflation, it would be about $2,500 in 1970 dollars

/----/ I wonder if VW in EU will sue. It's about US $27,000/ €26,000. If you factor in inflation, it would be about $2,500 in 1970 dollars

Can you sue over a SHAPE?

Yes, at first glance, I thought it was an updated VW. But many vehicles from different manufacturers all have the same shape.........and they aren't suing each other. So I don't know................

Donald Fagen predicted an old school looking car with modern technology years ago.
Donald_Fagen_-_Kamakiriad.jpg

Last edited:
Can you sue over a SHAPE?

Yes, at first glance, I thought it was an updated VW. But many vehicles from different manufacturers all have the same shape.........and they aren't suing each other. So I don't know................
/----/ It depends on how close you come to knocking off a 3D design. If the manufacturer can prove your copy can confuse consumers, and their lawyers can beat up your lawyer, then yes, but I'm not a lawyer and can't give legal advice.

Can product design (shape) be trademarked or protected?​

Can 3D product designs be trademarked?​

Trademarks are commonly known as names and logos. It may surprise you to learn that 3-dimensional product shapes (aka product configurations) may also be registered as trademarks. It’s an uphill battle, but it is possible if register a product design trademark if it serves a source indicating purpose and not any functional purposes.
A product design trademark may also be known as trade dress, so let’s see what constitutes protectable trade dress.

And Coke got a trademark on the shape of its bottle.
  • The shape which results from the goods themselves
  • The shape of goods which is necessary to achieve a technical result
  • The shape which gives substantial value to the goods
Registration may be allowed, however, if, before the date of the application, the shape has acquired a distinctive character as a result of the use made of it. This is how Coca-Cola eventually managed to trademark its ubiquitous bottle.

/----/ It depends on how close you come to knocking off a 3D design. If the manufacturer can prove your copy can confuse consumers, and their lawyers can beat up your lawyer, then yes, but I'm not a lawyer and can't give legal advice.

Can product design (shape) be trademarked or protected?​

Can 3D product designs be trademarked?​

Trademarks are commonly known as names and logos. It may surprise you to learn that 3-dimensional product shapes (aka product configurations) may also be registered as trademarks. It’s an uphill battle, but it is possible if register a product design trademark if it serves a source indicating purpose and not any functional purposes.
A product design trademark may also be known as trade dress, so let’s see what constitutes protectable trade dress.

And Coke got a trademark on the shape of its bottle.
  • The shape which results from the goods themselves
  • The shape of goods which is necessary to achieve a technical result
  • The shape which gives substantial value to the goods
Registration may be allowed, however, if, before the date of the application, the shape has acquired a distinctive character as a result of the use made of it. This is how Coca-Cola eventually managed to trademark its ubiquitous bottle.

Hmmmm. Interesting. Very interesting!

Well, I guess it will depend on if the manufacturer ends having a hot seller on their hands or not.
If so, then VW's lawyers can cite that for sure. If not, then there's no point, if those vehicles aren't selling.
I can definitely see why they WOULD sue though.

The problem with this is, VW isn't making the Beetle any more. So there's no competition for the shape.
VW isn't losing any money, so therefore they aren't being affected. Even though that shape is iconic, unless they do have it patented or registered, there really isn't a lot they can do.
If VW started producing the Beetle again, then I can see where there would be a hairy lawsuit involved.

But Fiat, Luxuo, and Mini Cooper have produced vehicles that resemble the Beetle as well, and they are still in production with no pending lawsuits.

Forum List

Back