Opportunity Knock$!!

"Big Oil" does not receive "subsidies".

Yes they do, dumbshit.

Unfortunately, like most homosexuals with inner turmoil, animosity towards other (for not being born "normal"), etc. - hazlnut here likes to take out his frustrations on the world with lies and misinformation.

The very definition of a "subsidy" is receiving money from the government. The oil industry does NOT receive money from the government. They never have, and I doubt they ever will.

Disingenuous assholes like hazl here think that getting tax deductions (like every single human and every single company in the entire United States does) equals "subsidy". Incentives to keep more of what was already their's is NOT a "subsidy". It's not even close to it.

sub·si·dy [suhb-si-dee] Show IPA
noun, plural sub·si·dies.
a direct pecuniary aid furnished by a government to a private industrial undertaking, a charity organization, or the like.

Is a tax credit or exemption aid? If it is... It's a subsidy. Feel free to post another link to the definition of the word subsidy if you disagree with this one from dictionary.com

Yes they do, dumbshit.

Unfortunately, like most homosexuals with inner turmoil, animosity towards other (for not being born "normal"), etc. - hazlnut here likes to take out his frustrations on the world with lies and misinformation.

The very definition of a "subsidy" is receiving money from the government. The oil industry does NOT receive money from the government. They never have, and I doubt they ever will.

Disingenuous assholes like hazl here think that getting tax deductions (like every single human and every single company in the entire United States does) equals "subsidy". Incentives to keep more of what was already their's is NOT a "subsidy". It's not even close to it.

a direct pecuniary aid furnished by a government to a private industrial undertaking, a charity organization, or the like.

Is a tax credit or exemption aid? If it is... It's a subsidy. Feel free to post another link to the definition of the word subsidy if you disagree with this one from dictionary.com

I already did. Here it is again for you;

• A subsidy is assistance paid to a business or economic sector or producers.

Subsidy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tax breaks and favorable loans are nowhere near subsidies.

Last edited:
Really, try to know what you are about to say before you post your response.
In the USA Petroleum companies are the beneficiaries of preferential tax credits and rates which are significantly lower than other businesses. Including Federal subsidies for: Percentage depletion allowance, nonconventional fuel production credit, Expensing of exploration and development costs, enhanced oil recovery credit, Foreign tax credits (FTCs), Deferral of foreign income, Accelerated depreciation allowances, Expensing of tertiary injectants, and Exclusion of interest on industrial development bonds for energy facilities.

In addition to the federal tax subsidies State and Local tax rates on the sale of gasoline is approximately 1/3 lower than the average sales tax rate on other types of products.

Many temporary tax relief reforms such as the The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (TRA) etc cost another 2 billion in 1997 dollars per year that once in place have yet to be removed due to politicians being sympathetic to the wishes of the petroleum industry.

Not only do these tax provisions distort the real price of gasoline at the pump, but promote the general environmentally unfriendly practices of the oil industry over the development of cleaner alternative green fuels.

To reiterate, you only read and see what you want to see. So your total ignorance of the subject shows.
You have yourself convinced you are one of the more intelligent individuals on this board. Be you far from that, so any more articles and facts, would ill convince you.
Bye

This is what Mother Jones said;

Yet notably absent from the debate over what to cut and what to spare in a deal are the tens of billions of dollars in subsidies, tax breaks, and other perks for the hugely profitable oil industry

Tax breaks aren't subsidies. "Perks" such as favorable rates on loans aren't subsidies.

You guys should open up a dictionary every once in a while..

A subsidy is assistance paid to a business or economic sector or producers. Subsidy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, a tax break isn't a subsidy. Far from it. Try to remember that before you continue to post nonsense.

Last edited:

Subsidy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tax breaks and favorable loans are nowhere near subsidies.
Wikipedia... Is... Umm... ROFL

Hey... Feel free to go with that. I can get multiple dictionaries to agree with one another, but not with Wikipedia. That should tell you something. I mean normally if you want a definition to a word you would look where? A dictionary, or an encyclopedia?

Edit: I changed the page to your link btw... I removed 'paid' from the sentence. Not sure if it's real time or not... But... Wow... Love things you can just change to make "truth" of things rather than using... You know... Dictionaries.

Last edited:

A tax break is not a "direct pecuniary aid."

Nor is a favorable loan.

Even by your own definition you're wrong.

PECUNIARY - consisting of or measured in money; of or relating to money

Pecuniary - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Your definition of subsidy refers to "pecuniary aid."

Which literally means aiding by giving money.

Tax credits and favorable loans don't "give money" to anyone. The money is already theirs. So no, they aren't subsidies.

Last edited:

Hey... Feel free to go with that. I can get multiple dictionaries to agree with one another, but not with Wikipedia. That should tell you something. I mean normally if you want a definition to a word you would look where? A dictionary, or an encyclopedia?

Edit: I changed the page to your link btw... I removed 'paid' from the sentence. Not sure if it's real time or not... But... Wow... Love things you can just change to make "truth" of things rather than using... You know... Dictionaries.

Okay, lets scrap Wikipedia.

Even by your own definition you're wrong. Read my last post.

Nor is a favorable loan.

NOW you use a dictonary... Good deal. Um... However you are not... correct. That's a nicist way I can say it.

I say it nicely because I wish to give you some benefit of the doubt considering you think of yourself as a conservative libertarian. However... I think you should look into what a libertarian would say about it.

No it doesn't.

pe·cu·ni·ar·y
/piˈkyo͞onēˌerē/
Adjective
Of, relating to, or consisting of money.
of or relating to money

I think you need to look up terms before posting. You are quickly making yourself look a bit foolish here. o.0

Edit: To make it more clear... It means that the aid given has something to do with money, not necessarily that it's giving money. And last I checked we don't give chickens or cows as tax to the government... only money. All taxes and tax breaks have to do with pecuniary forms as far as the federal government goes.

Last edited:

Okay, lets scrap Wikipedia.

Even by your own definition you're wrong. Read my last post.
I did... and I replied to it. If you wish to continue I strongly suggest that you back your opinions up instead of just saying them. You might not post and look the fool then.

I generally try to be nice about holy fuck me man you aren't providing me anything to work with but incorrect information. Please... Find sources that back up what you are saying.

Nor is a favorable loan.

NOW you use a dictonary... Good deal. Um... However you are not... correct. That's a nicist way I can say it.

I say it nicely because I wish to give you some benefit of the doubt considering you think of yourself as a conservative libertarian. However... I think you should look into what a libertarian would say about it.

No it doesn't.

pe·cu·ni·ar·y
/piˈkyo͞onēˌerē/
Adjective
Of, relating to, or consisting of money.

I think you need to look up terms before posting. You are quickly making yourself look a bit foolish here. o.0

Are you serious?

Pecuniary - Of, relating to, or consisting of money.

Aid - to provide with what is useful or necessary in achieving an end; to give assistance

What on earth can PECUNIARY AID possibly mean???

Last edited:
I did... and I replied to it. If you wish to continue I strongly suggest that you back your opinions up instead of just saying them. You might not post and look the fool then.

I generally try to be nice about holy fuck me man you aren't providing me anything to work with but incorrect information. Please... Find sources that back up what you are saying.

Find sources?

Dude, I'm quoting your own sources! :eusa_clap:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subsidy

Subsidy
sub·si·dy
[suhb-si-dee] Show IPA
1. a direct pecuniary aid furnished by a government to a private industrial undertaking, a charity organization, or the like.
2. a sum paid, often in accordance with a treaty, by one government to another to secure some service in return.
3. a grant or contribution of money.
4. money formerly granted by the English Parliament to the crown for special needs.

That was your own source.

Last edited:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......"assistance paid"???????

Gee.....no mention of ca$h! Quite the conundrum....for yourself....wouldn't you say?

:eusa_whistle:

Find sources?

Subsidy | Define Subsidy at Dictionary.com

Subsidy
sub·si·dy
[suhb-si-dee] Show IPA
1. a direct pecuniary aid furnished by a government to a private industrial undertaking, a charity organization, or the like.
2. a sum paid, often in accordance with a treaty, by one government to another to secure some service in return.
4. money formerly granted by the English Parliament to the crown for special needs.

money formerly granted by the English Parliament to the crown for special needs.
Pecuniary only defines the type of aid. ALL taxes... Whither they are tax breaks or just a normal tax you pay is pecuniary. All taxes are pecuniary. That means nothing to the discussion.

If the government gave a company or country rations, then it's not pecuniary aid. That has nothing to do with money. If it gave money to buy rations, then it is pecuniary.

Aid... A tax break isn't aid?

So... If you disagree good day to you. Feel free to continue to think as you do. I can't make it any simpler, I'm not that smart or patient.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......"assistance paid"???????

Gee.....no mention of ca$h! Quite the conundrum....for yourself....wouldn't you say?

:eusa_whistle:

Oh gee, I wonder what other forms of "paid assistance" they're talking about?

And I thought Wiki wasn't reliable? Either way, your definition was much better than mine.

Pecuniary Aid. What is pecuniary aid?

Find sources?

Subsidy
sub·si·dy
[suhb-si-dee] Show IPA

money formerly granted by the English Parliament to the crown for special needs.
Pecuniary only defines the type of aid. ALL taxes... Whither they are tax breaks or just a normal tax you pay is pecuniary. All taxes are pecuniary. That means nothing to the discussion.

If the government gave a company or country rations, then it's not pecuniary aid. That has nothing to do with money. If it gave money to buy rations, then it is pecuniary.

So... If you disagree good day to you. Feel free to continue to think as you do. I can't make it any simpler, I'm not that smart or patient.

No, a tax break isn't "pecuniary aid." You're wrong.

Because a tax break doesn't give the company any money from the government. They're keeping their own money.

A bail out on the other hand is a subsidy. But not a tax break.

It's clear to me that you have an agenda, and are unwilling to accept facts that discredit your views. So I won't keep wasting any more time with you; you've obviously made up your mind.

But you're wrong. Even your own links say you're wrong.

Here's another definition of Subsidy for ya'. Definition of subsidy - payment, commerce and royalty (British & World English)

And FYI, all definitions say the same thing one way or another.

Last edited:
Find sources?

Subsidy
sub·si·dy
[suhb-si-dee] Show IPA

No, a tax break isn't "pecuniary aid." You're wrong.

Because a tax break doesn't give the company any money from the government. They're keeping their own money.
Dictionary disagrees with you. There is nothing about "pecuniary aid" that says it's money given.

It's clear to me that you have an agenda, and are unwilling to accept facts that discredit your views. So I won't keep wasting any more time with you; you've obviously made up your mind.
I feel the exact same way about you.

But you're wrong. Even your own links say you're wrong.
I see it likely exactly the same way you do. You are too stupid to understand the links. I actually feel better about it if you think the same of me.

Dictionary disagrees with you. There is nothing about "pecuniary aid" that says it's money given.

Then your dictionary must be in an alternate universe, because anyone with a positive IQ can conclude that pecuniary aid refers to "aid" consisting of "money."

That's what the words mean. That's not what my opinion is, that is what the dictionary says. That is what all dictionaries say.

Even still, every other definition of Subsidy or Subsidize means exactly the same thing.

You can't just cherry-pick some snippets of a few definitions and say it means whatever you want.

Here's another one for you. Is Merriam-Webster wrong as well?

Subsidize - To purchase the assistance of by payment of a subsidy; to aid or promote (as a private enterprise) with public money.

Subsidize - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Again, you couldn't be further from the truth in all your posts.

And you're right. I do have an agenda; it's called the truth. You're the one cherry-picking words and pretending they mean something else.

Last edited:
Here we go. This should put an end to the discussion.

The Difference Between a Tax Break and a Subsidy - Reason.com

On Thursday, Virginia Democratic Party executive director David Mills said the oil companies were "getting free money from the government."

Just one problem. Those "subsidies" are not subsidies. They are tax breaks.

Of the $4 billion in alleged subsidies to Big Oil, $1.7 billion derives from a domestic manufacturing tax deduction intended to keep factories in the U.S. It is available to every company, not just oil companies.

Another $850 million comes from another tax provision, also available to every U.S. corporation, that gives a credit for taxes paid to foreign countries—just as you can deduct your state taxes from your federal income taxes. Yet another $1 billion comes from tax rules that let oil companies treat oil in the ground as capital equipment for write-down purposes, and the rest comes from rules that let oil companies write off certain business costs immediately.

Then your dictionary must be in an alternate universe, because anyone with a positive IQ can conclude that pecuniary aid refers to "aid" consisting of "money."

That's what the words mean. That's not what my opinion is, that is what the dictionary says. That is what all dictionaries say.

Even still, every other definition of Subsidy or Subsidize means exactly the same thing.

You can't just cherry-pick some snippets of a few definitions and say it means whatever you want.

Here's another one for you. Is Merriam-Webster wrong as well?

Subsidize - To purchase the assistance of by payment of a subsidy; to aid or promote (as a private enterprise) with public money.

Subsidize - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Again, you couldn't be further from the truth in all your posts.

And you're right. I do have an agenda; it's called the truth. You're the one cherry-picking words and pretending they mean something else.
*shrugs*

I think you are an idiot. Feel free to think the same about me. I can't be at fault because you can't comprehend this other than to say I can't explain it to you more simply. I'm ok with that.

But lets put that aside for just a second... You are a conservative libertarian right? What do you think about the tax breaks they are getting? I mean we both obviously agree on that right?

But lets put that aside for just a second... You are a conservative libertarian right? What do you think about the tax breaks they are getting? I mean we both obviously agree on that right?

I don't think anyone should get "tax breaks."

We should all pay the same flat tax and be done with it.

I don't think anyone should get "tax breaks."

We should all pay the same flat tax and be done with it.
Good deal. Not a hypocrite...

We agree on that at least. The verbiage is secondary (you are still an idiot ;) to the promotion of that at least.

Although I believe that companies should pay zero corporation tax though. Taxing the corporation/company is nothing more than a double tax on whoever is buying the goods.

Forum List

Back