Opinions wanted...Where do you go when you die

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by spectrumc01, Oct 25, 2012.

1. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Discussing Paranormal shows on cable, an arguement over Judeo-Christian religion ensued... go figure.

What is the chronological order of the afterlife?

- No death before the apple in the garden of eden, after the apple -original sin.
    1) Before Jesus died, everything was as the Old Testament describes. This would be a description of the Jewish belief in the afterlife. In the Jewish afterlife there are three different locations, Heaven which is closed, Hell which is open, and Limbo which is the waiting room until heaven opens. Is this correct?

2) Then Jesus died and went to hell for three days. He then returned and opened the gates of heaven. Jesus died for our sins so that we may enter heaven. Is this correct?

3) When you die you recieve your final judgement and go to one of two places, depending on your sins, Heaven or Hell? Is this correct?

4) If all three of the above are true, then what spirits are they talking to? Are these Angels or demons? It seems that the Christian view would favor that this is what they are talking to as souls are judged upon death.

5) If these spirits, in fact are souls of people, than would the Jewish belief be correct as these are the souls in Limbo as the gates of heaven haven't been opened?

6) Where does revelations fit in?

Looking to learn, thanks for your input.

2. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    "Where do you go when you die"

I go nowhere. Time and space cease to exist in my mind. End of story as far as I am

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Myth and symbolism are needs of the human psyche. We err badly when we mistake myth for reality.

Mythic Reflections

4. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I'm not looking for a personal view. We are running under the assumption the Bible is correct. What would scripture say about these questions.

5. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    :lol:

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    When you die you go no where and are "as asleep". On Judgement day all the dead will be resurrected and the truly evil will be returned to permanent death. 144000 will go to heaven as spirits. The rest will live on a restored earth for 1000 years with Jesus as their King. At the end of the 1000 years those that have not acknowledged God and follow his teachings will also be returned to permanent death, the rest will reside on earth.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. rosends

rosends VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    though I know that this term is often used, it is not useful. The two religions are very different and uniting them under one label because they are both sourced in the same first text gives the false impression that they share particular theologies, which they don't.
    Not really. In Judaism (those branches which accept a notion of the afterlife) the issue is that the nature of the afterlife is NOT explained in the written Torah and only obliquely explained in the early oral texts. There are rabbinic discussions about the nature of the world to come and the timing of it (and if there is a difference between a 'world to come' and the 'messianic resurrection').
    Jews don't have this notion of a limbo. While there is a wonder as to whether the judgment of the dead leads to a world to come separate from a messianic resurrection directly after death or not, the "limbo" idea is not Jewish.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

9. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,497
    Don't be ridiculous. Your mind is full of space.

10. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,019
    Liberals go to North Korea