CDZ Open Doors Ministry

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
I heard it mentioned in the News on OANN but I want to know if there is some bad news about the ministry.

Not aware of any, and they've been around a while. Ran across several of their operatives over the years in various places while doing some work for similar operations, and they seemed straight up and very helpful in my personal experience. There are several chruches by that name, so I'm guessing you mean Brother Andrew's organization.

Revealing Insights About How Ministries Helping Persecuted Christians Spend Your Money

Founded almost 60 years ago by Brother Andrew, who started the ministry by smuggling Bibles through the Iron Curtain, Open Doors is a global ministry. The US arm of Open Doors is just one part of a large worldwide ministry and we do not have access to the financial statements of Open Doors operations outside the US. Taken together, all of the Open Doors global offices likely represent the largest global Christian ministry seeking to aid persecuted Christians. Open Doors works in the most oppressive countries, providing Bibles and literature, media, leadership training, socio-economic development and ensuring prayer, presence and advocacy for Persecuted Christians. In 2012, Open Doors supplied 2.4 million Bibles and other Christian materials to persecuted Christians, trained 265,000 people and brought various forms of aid to 207,000 more.

Open Doors with 2012 revenues of $14.7 million receives a 2 star Financial Efficiency Rating from MinistryWatch.com, mainly due to its high fundraising costs which amount to 12% of donations received. This level of fundraising costs is twice that of both Voice of the Martyrs and the average ministry in the MinstryWatch.com database. Despite this, both VOM and Open Doors end up spending roughly the same amount on ministry programs (74% and 77% respectively in 2012), but VOM saves more while Open Doors spends more on fundraising. Open Doors also has not invested as heavily in buildings and equipment as has VOM. By managing its financial affairs less conservatively than VOM, Open Doors has less of a reserve than VOM and thus relies more heavily on donors continued generosity. As a result, Open Doors receives a 4 star rating from MinistryWatch.com for its asset utilization since it has chosen to not divert as much money towards building up its infrastructure. In comparing VOM and Open Doors, it appears VOM has been especially focused on building its infrastructure while Open Doors has spent a more normal amount on buildings and equipment. Should Open Doors be able to reduce its fundraising costs in the future, its financial efficiency would likely increase significantly.

They spend a lot less than most on buildings and infrastructure. The Dutch founder is still alive, as far as I can tell.

I can tell you that orgs like these operate in some tough places, and they have to hide some of their cash from the public because of what it takes to operate in many corrupt countries, so their books aren't going to be very transparent. It doesn't put me off on them in the least, so I wouldn't be concerned about that 'high fund raising costs' thing; it actually seems a little low to me.

There's a Wiki page on them.

Open Doors - Wikipedia

Wiki bio of the founder:

Andrew van der Bijl - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Thanks I have been looking at several ministries to see if they would be a good fit.

There are several anti-slavery groups out there, and some who smuggle Christians out of some bad places as well, nearly all Christian orgs, too. Not sure what you're looking for, you didn't say. The State Dept. doesn't like them at all, at least under Obama and establishment friendly Prezs they didn't; they're almost always on their own and many embassies and consulates will not help them and even help dictators catch and prosecute them in some cases. Some intelligence agencies are friendly, at least the field agents are, same with some lower level police depts., especially in Thailand and non-Muslim countries; Singapore doesn't hassle them, either. Nigeria also has some decent local police officers who love helping out, but they're spotty.

Forum List

Back