Open carry firearms.. Our 2nd amendment right!!

Was there a standing army in the US at the time of the drafting of the Bill of Rights? That may throw a bit of light on it. Also I would assume that the English tradition which existed for several hundred years may have had an influence on those charged with drafting the Bill of Rights. England didn't have a standing army until Cromwell, it had regional militia and for that to be effective men had to possess arms.

Anyway it's interesting but moot given the interpretations by the US Supreme Court.

Yes, there was a standing army at the time of the drafting. I'll pardon you for not knowing the Army's year of birth was 1775. The Army has been in continuous existence since then. The size of the army was not large, but the standing army was never large until after WW II.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by the second part, but let's take a look at what Scalia says in relevant part:

The “militia” comprised all males physically
capable of acting in concert for the common defense. The Antifederalists
feared that the Federal Government would disarm the people in
order to disable this citizens’ militia, enabling a politicized standing
army or a select militia to rule. The response was to deny Congress
power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear
arms, so that the ideal of a citizens’ militia would be preserved.

D.C. v. Heller

Thank you for the information about the Army. The latter part of my post was an acknowledgement that no matter what anyone outside the US Supreme Court says about the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment it has no effect. And thanks for the extract from Scalia, it's interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out why he needs a scope at 200 yards :confused:

Why wouldn't he?

Well, if you are any kind of a shot, you should be able to make that with iron sights. You shouldn't need a scope for another 100 yards at least. Now maybe if you were trying to shoot the eyeballs out of someone at 200 yards, I could see using a scope. But, just killing them? Please.

You ought to look at Jack O'Connors book on the rifle for why scopes are superior to iron sights. Two hundred yards is a very long way and most people would have trouble making a decent shot at that distance.

Why wouldn't he?

Well, if you are any kind of a shot, you should be able to make that with iron sights. You shouldn't need a scope for another 100 yards at least. Now maybe if you were trying to shoot the eyeballs out of someone at 200 yards, I could see using a scope. But, just killing them? Please.

You ought to look at Jack O'Connors book on the rifle for why scopes are superior to iron sights. Two hundred yards is a very long way and most people would have trouble making a decent shot at that distance.

I don't need to take someone else's word for anything on the topic of shooting and marksmanship. I've qualified expert on more weapons than you can shake a stick at Rabbi. If you can't kill with a "high-powered" rifle at 200 yards with iron sights, maybe you need to do something else.

Sure, using a scope would be easier, but it isn't all that hard without it, which was my point. It's easier still if you use a gyroscopically stabilized gun platform on 12x magnification, but I think that's a lot of overkill too.

Whose going to fuck with you? Well, moron, maybe the guy with the scoped deer rifle 200 yards away.

Yep, that happens all the time. :cuckoo:

Isn't the guy with the scoped deer rifle concerned about the dude in the M1A1 tank hiding behind the Barnes & Noble? :rolleyes:

Go back and try again.

I'm still trying to figure out why he needs a scope at 200 yards :confused:

You got to get with the program Tech.

Open sights are, like, so 20th Century.

Today you ain't no kinda shooter if you don't show up to the range with a scope on your pistol. :lol:

Geez are you ignorant. Just every post you manage to prove it.

Why don't you save some time and just put "I don't like CurveLight" in your sig? It's better than quoting me in every thread just to show your affinity for returning to the first grade.

Let's do something crazy and look at the Second.....

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Explain how a bunch of individuals who never meet fall under the category of a well regulat
ed militia.

Explain how you ignore the entire context of the Bill of Rights and the operative phrase of the second amendment to focus all weight upon the prefatory clause of the second amendment. Additionally, you ignore all the history surrounding the creation of the second amendment and any discovery about why an armed citizenry might or might not have been desired by the people who wrote.

If you had bothered to conduct such an inquiry, you might better understand the concepts discussed in the second amendment, why they are important and what they bring to our system of checks and balances.

I'm not ignoring anything but merely pointed to what gun lovers ignore the most.

Everybody should own a gun....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68PbdD6ig0c]YouTube - Gun accidents complication[/ame]

This is even funnier....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3zlll0prA]YouTube - Blondy with AK - gun accident[/ame]

Now that right there was funny, I don't care who you are.

No, not everyone should own a gun.
This is actually quite relevant to the "militia" issue. The people shown generally had no clue about the recoil of the guns they were attempting to handle. Getting a feel for the kick when you fire takes practice, so an attempt to levy a militia now would work best when the people had experience handling firearms.

Many of those people hadn't been instructed properly. Some (like the DEA agent) were just out and out idiots.
But I stand across the counter from prospective gun buyers every day and let me tell you that not everyone needs a gun.

Many of those people hadn't been instructed properly. Some (like the DEA agent) were just out and out idiots.
But I stand across the counter from prospective gun buyers every day and let me tell you that not everyone needs a gun.

I hope you're wearing Threat Level IIIA (with ceramic inserts) :eek:

I wish I had them the other day when 5 of the bro's came in looking for "esstendeds" for the guns. They picked up the Glock mag and tried to put it in a Ruger P-series, a Springfield XD and finally a Glock. The guy with the Springfield was waving the gun around and I could tell he had it loaded with one in the chamber.
Just an ND looking to happen right there.

3611750446_bf59bee5fb.jpg

This is actually quite relevant to the "militia" issue. The people shown generally had no clue about the recoil of the guns they were attempting to handle. Getting a feel for the kick when you fire takes practice, so an attempt to levy a militia now would work best when the people had experience handling firearms.

Thanks for pointing out again your view that "militia" referred to those who knew how to handle weapons. That helps show why it wasn't a blanket "right" given to just anyone.

Thanks for pointing out again your view that "militia" referred to those who knew how to handle weapons. That helps show why it wasn't a blanket "right" given to just anyone.

Please, stop contorting yourself into a pretzel in a pathetic attempt to drive that square militia peg through the round hole of the people. It is excruciatingly painful to watch.

Do I need to post the Founders and authors of the Constitutions own words again?

You are fighting a battle that was lost more than 220 years ago...a lose that was reaffirmed with Heller.

Please, stop contorting yourself into a pretzel in a pathetic attempt to drive that square militia peg through the round hole of the people. It is excruciatingly painful to watch.

Do I need to post the Founders and authors of the Constitutions own words again?

You are fighting a battle that was lost more than 220 years ago...a lose that was reaffirmed with Heller.

Pay attention or don't comment. I was pointing out how CS tried to explain that "well regulated militia" was referring to people who knew how to use guns. That would mean the 2nd didn't give a blanket right for everyone to own guns. We also know it was illegal for certain people to own guns at that time so that is further proof the 2nd does not say what some are claiming. By all means, post the words of the founders that you think presents the strongest evidence your interpretation is correct.

Also, do people know what militias were in the 18th century?

In a similar vein:

The Founding Fathers on the Second Amendment.

When the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually. . . .
The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves;... that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed and that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of press.
And that the said Constitution be never construed to. authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. .
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
- Thomas Jefferson
Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. .
Arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not others dare not lay them aside. .
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who comes near that precious jewel. Unfortunately, nothing
will preserve it but downright force. When you give up that force, you are ruined.

Here they are again, for the cheap seats.

So your next step is obvious.

Read some early H.G. Wells (believe me you don't need any of his later stuff)

Next, build a time machine.

Travel back to the late 1780s, get an invite to the Constitutional convention and do your best to convince THEM that that their countrymen cannot be trusted with firearms.

Go forth Don Quixote...your giant awaits.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: B94

Forum List

Back