Oopsie.. electric cars may not be so enviro-friendly

see the bolded word.

shocking that one of rupert murdoch's newscorp holdings would say that, eh?

It's funny how 'could' turns into absolute proof. Many of the same people scoff when it's said that man 'could' be effecting the earth's climate. :cool:

actually, there's no doubt that we are affecting the earth's climate. it's just not the ONLY cause which is why the faith based warming deniers like to focus on things like cycles.

what on gods green earth (pun intended) is a "faith based warming denier" [sic] ??????:eusa_eh:

Electric cars don't solve any real envirnmental problems EXCEPT local pollution.

Every time one creates energy (from any source) and then store it to be used later, you are losing energy that will never be recaptured.

I know that many of leftie bretheren congratulate themselves for driving hybrids, but I think their high opinions about how lighty they're treading their carbon footprints on the world are little more than a conceit.

I don't even care if we find a free carbon neutral source of energy, the idea that we're going to become a world with 7 or 8 billion private transportation vehicles (and the infrastructure for them to get about on) is a silly and shortsighted notion.

Eventually, and I mean in this century, mankind is collectively going to come to the conclusion that private automobiles to serve our tranportation needs is a terrible waste of resources.

Mankind will no doubt come to this conclusion kicking and screaming and fighting it all the way, but they will inevitably realize that the automotive age is over.
That may be true in the cities, but in rural areas, it's an exceedingly ignorant notion.

I live in a 852.74 sq mile county with two (that's 2) stop lights!

So think I know a little about rural life than one might expect a dazzlingly urbane person like myself typically understands, Daveman.

I'm not talking about tomorrow, but sooner rather than later (like by 2100 for sure) the dependence mankind currently has for private automobiles is going to look rather silly and extremely wasteful.

Market forces will inevitably make the kinds of changes I'm suggesting are inevitably going to happen.

Believe me, no government edict will ever have as much power to alter the way mankind structures society as those economic forces that come from changes in demographics.

What do you think will drive this new paradigm? I too live in a rural area and absent a helicopter my private auto is it. No bus will drive up to where I live because it's too dangerous. The only economic driver I see right now is the governments assault on energy. They are intentionally driving the costs of ICE vehicles up to try and make EV's more attractive. They have a reeeeeaall long haul before that occurs, unless they do something truly draconian (which I don't discount with this current admin).

EV's and Hybrids are far more destructive to the environment then the biggest Hummer to produce. That is a well known and provable fact. Additionally the Lithium that is used to produce the most powerful batteries is actually imited. The environmentalists have been harping about Peak Oil for over 100 years now and we keep producing more and more. Lithium on the other hand is very limited. We will hit peak Lithium long before we hit Peak Oil.

Factor in the costs of battery replacements and recycling and EV's are truly terrible for the environment. And it all takes energy, far more then is neccessary to produce, maintain and operate an internal combustion type vehicle.

Are you being intentionally stupid, or is it just natural?

Neither. You and the rest of the echo chamber (EC) go gaga over one British Study. I simply posted another British Study - what's so hard to understand?
Ahhh. So you're just a butthurt sissy bedwetter.
This thread is silly, for there are more reasons to consider electric cars/scooters/mopeds than their effect on Climate Change - and the EC denies humanity is a cause anyway.

Most urban and suburban Americans could easily get by with an all electric second car. Electric motors don't require tune-ups, oil changes, new radiator cores, transmissions, etc. and are easier to maintain and less expensive to repair.

They don't pollute the air, are quiet and have plenty of power. Consider the use of the second car in America. Run to the grocery, pick up a pizza, get the dry cleaning, take a kid or two to school, practice or the dentist. All local trips easily managed by an electric vehicle and if we skip the kids, all doable on an electric scooter (or for those who want to exercise a bit on an electric bike or moped).

Consider too local government agencies, setting aside emergency response ones. County and City workers in most areas service a limited geographic area. Most get their vehicles from a county lot, or the parking area near the building where they work. County/City and even state and federal office buildings in much of America can be fitted with solar panels and electric vehicles charged for free. Saving tax payer money after the initial expense and if the fleets of government cars are replaced by attrition with electric ones, demand will reduce costs for the average consumer.

The sad thing is callous conservatives and echo chamber echoers seem to have no imagination or incliniation to support innovation and change. They are very good, however, at name calling [and no, callous conservative and the echo chamber exist, they are not straw men and women nor are the terms I used pejoratives to be used for personal attacks - they perfectly define a set of Americans].
Yes, this thread is stupid, but not for your butthurt sissy bedwetter reasons.

The notion that electric vehicles don't pollute is nonsense. Similarly, the idea that personal transportation will ever be made unnecesarry is nonsense as well.

And environmentalists wonder why people say they're unrealistic.

Starting a post with a personal attack and then posting that I ever suggested "the idea that personal transportation will ever be made unnecessary is nonsense" is evidence you're a lying asshole (in order, an asshole who lies).

see the bolded word.

shocking that one of rupert murdoch's newscorp holdings would say that, eh?

It's funny how 'could' turns into absolute proof. Many of the same people scoff when it's said that man 'could' be effecting the earth's climate. :cool:

actually, there's no doubt that we are affecting the earth's climate. it's just not the ONLY cause which is why the faith based warming deniers like to focus on things like cycles.

I have to disagree with you on this Jillian. There is actually a great deal of doubt about mans influence on climate. Man is very adept at destroying his local area but so far the cliamate is far beyond mans ability to affect...thankfully.

Neither. You and the rest of the echo chamber (EC) go gaga over one British Study. I simply posted another British Study - what's so hard to understand?
This thread is silly, for there are more reasons to consider electric cars/scooters/mopeds than their effect on Climate Change - and the EC denies humanity is a cause anyway.

Most urban and suburban Americans could easily get by with an all electric second car. Electric motors don't require tune-ups, oil changes, new radiator cores, transmissions, etc. and are easier to maintain and less expensive to repair.

They don't pollute the air, are quiet and have plenty of power. Consider the use of the second car in America. Run to the grocery, pick up a pizza, get the dry cleaning, take a kid or two to school, practice or the dentist. All local trips easily managed by an electric vehicle and if we skip the kids, all doable on an electric scooter (or for those who want to exercise a bit on an electric bike or moped).

Consider too local government agencies, setting aside emergency response ones. County and City workers in most areas service a limited geographic area. Most get their vehicles from a county lot, or the parking area near the building where they work. County/City and even state and federal office buildings in much of America can be fitted with solar panels and electric vehicles charged for free. Saving tax payer money after the initial expense and if the fleets of government cars are replaced by attrition with electric ones, demand will reduce costs for the average consumer.

The sad thing is callous conservatives and echo chamber echoers seem to have no imagination or incliniation to support innovation and change. They are very good, however, at name calling [and no, callous conservative and the echo chamber exist, they are not straw men and women nor are the terms I used pejoratives to be used for personal attacks - they perfectly define a set of Americans].

The notion that electric vehicles don't pollute is nonsense. Similarly, the idea that personal transportation will ever be made unnecesarry is nonsense as well.

Starting a post with a personal attack and then posting that I ever suggested "the idea that personal transportation will ever be made unnecessary is nonsense" is evidence you're a lying asshole (in order, an asshole who lies).

s0n.......not sure if you're aware but that "San Fransisco Bay Area" location in your sig sorta smacks of "Im sorta out there in fringe-land!!". People who live in SanFransisco never seem to realize that the rest of the country views them as eccentric k00ks.

Just sayin'............

s0n.......not sure if you're aware but that "San Fransisco Bay Area" location in your sig sorta smacks of "Im sorta out there in fringe-land!!". People who live in SanFransisco never seem to realize that the rest of the country views them as eccentric k00ks.

Just sayin'............

I understand, but simply because the rest of the country, in your opinion, views San Franciscans as eccentric kooks, why should I care what the ignorant believe?

Have you ever visited San Francisco? What differentiates The City is it's lack of bigotry. San Franciscans and Bay Area residents, in general, are tolerant of people with idiosysncrasies. As far back as the Gold Rush The City, a small town then, was inundated by 'characters' from all over the world heading to the gold fields. It took a unique character to leave the confort of home and travel thousands of miles on a dream in the mid 19th C.

Our recent history includes the beatnicks of the 50's and hippies in the 60's, names coined by SF columnist Herb Cain. In the 70's the blue collar district at the intersecton of Market and Castro Streets became the center of the gay community.

While there have been incidents of violence and bigotry by a minority of San Franciscans, usual youths, most residents accepted the different lifestyles and went on their way. No crosses were burned, no 'Jim Crow' laws were passed and each group maintained their identity and contributed to the diverstiy of The City. The haight still has the hippies, City Lights book store and Cafe Vesuvio where the Beat Generation hung out our still there and the Castro remains vibrant and just as the other two districts a magnet for tourist dollars.

SF and the Bay Area is diverse. Our area is populated with world renown universities (CAL, Stanford, USF, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, San Francisco State University, UC San Francisco, San Jose St. U and Ca. ST U East BAy); two Major League Baseball Teams, Two NFL Franchises, and an NBA an NHL team; I can surf in the ocean in the morning and snow ski in the afternoon, attend plays, the opera (I have and was bored) and the symphony, see world famous and priceless art (as my wife and I did last week at the SFMOMA), drive to Sonoma or Napa for world class wines which we can and have purchased at the source and dine at world famous restaurants.

The temperature in The City rarely drops below 40 or rises above 85, we have the rare ground shake but never a snow storm, hurricane, flood or tornado. If you like to fish the salmon are outside the golden gate right now and crab is in good supply - both a result of environmental concern and proper regulation; inside the bay there are plenty of halibut, ling cod and if you know where to look, giant sturgeon.

Of course I can't see Russian from my porch, but I can drive two hours north and visit Fort Ross, a Russian outpost built in the early 19th C. And I can have Russina, Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, Indian, Pakastani, dinner tonight as well as dozens of other regional dishes from all points of the globe.

So for those who believe SF is defined by Nancy Pelosi, a Baltimore native, or libeal politics exclusively, please don't let me disabuse you - stay home; we have plenty of tourists from around the world and we enjoy those who enjoy the beauty of our area without a chip on their shoulder.

Last edited:

Just sayin'............

I understand, but simply because the rest of the country, in your opinion, views San Franciscans as eccentric kooks, why should I care what the ignorant believe?

Have you ever visited San Francisco? What differentiates The City is it's lack of bigotry. San Franciscans and Bay Area residents, in general, are tolerant of people with idiosysncrasies. As far back as the Gold Rush The City, a small town then, was inundated by 'characters' from all over the world heading to the gold fields. It took a unique character to leave the confort of home and travel thousands of miles on a dream in the mid 19th C.

Our recent history includes the beatnicks of the 50's and hippies in the 60's, names coined by SF columnist Herb Cain. In the 70's the blue collar district at the intersecton of Market and Castro Streets became the center of the gay community.

While there have been incidents of violence and bigotry by a minority of San Franciscans, usual youths, most residents accepted the different lifestyles and went on their way. No crosses were burned, no 'Jim Crow' laws were passed and each group maintained their identity and contributed to the diverstiy of The City. The haight still has the hippies, City Lights book store and Cafe Vesuvio where the Beat Generation hung out our still there and the Castro remains vibrant and just as the other two districts a magnet for tourist dollars.

SF and the Bay Area is diverse. Our area is populated with world renown universities (CAL, Stanford, USF, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, San Francisco State University, UC San Francisco, San Jose St. U and Ca. ST U East BAy); two Major League Baseball Teams, Two NFL Franchises, and an NBA an NHL team; I can surf in the ocean in the morning and snow ski in the afternoon, attend plays, the opera (I have and was bored) and the symphony, see world famous and priceless art (as my wife and I did last week at the SFMOMA), drive to Sonoma or Napa for world class wines which we can and have purchased at the source and dine at world famous restaurants.

The temperature in The City rarely drops below 40 or rises above 85, we have the rare ground shake but never a snow storm, hurricane, flood or tornado. If you like to fish the salmon are outside the golden gate right now and crab is in good supply - both a result of environmental concern and proper regulation; inside the bay there are plenty of halibut, ling cod and if you know where to look, giant sturgeon.

Of course I can't see Russian from my porch, but I can drive two hours north and visit Fort Ross, a Russian outpost built in the early 19th C. And I can have Russina, Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, Indian, Pakastani, dinner tonight as well as dozens of other regional dishes from all points of the globe.

So for those who believe SF is defined by Nancy Pelosi, a Baltimore native, or libeal politics exclusively, please don't let me disabuse you - stay home; we have plenty of tourists from around the world and we enjoy those who enjoy the beauty of our area without a chip on their shoulder.

Sure they are Wry, sure they are. What a crock...

Transgender youth leader charged with murder - SFGate

Verdicts upheld in murder of transgender teen - SFGate

Just sayin'............

My post stated clearly, and I quote, "While there have been incidents of violence and bigotry by a minority of San Franciscans, usual(ly) youths, most residents accepted the different lifestyles and went on their way."

Is that the best you've got?

Last edited:
Starting a post with a personal attack...
Tissue?
...and then posting that I ever suggested "the idea that personal transportation will ever be made unnecessary is nonsense" is evidence you're a lying asshole (in order, an asshole who lies).
I didn't post that you suggested it. If you disagree with the notion, then perhaps you'd better tell the lefties who did suggest it.

But you won't. No enemies on the left.

My post stated clearly, and I quote, "While there have been incidents of violence and bigotry by a minority of San Franciscans, usual(ly) youths, most residents accepted the different lifestyles and went on their way."

Is that the best you've got?

No, I can go into far more depth. My point is the bay area is just like every place else. It is almost allways youth who do the stupid things and you will find that Reno, that bastion of redneck ways is so tolerant we even have a gay rodeo (you guys got one of those at the Cow Palace? Didn't think so!). The majority of the US is very tolerant of the gay lifestyle. It is allways a minority of the population that causes the problems.

Gay rodeo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just sayin'............

:lol: a lot of what you say it true, now, lets test your honesty- what are the drawbacks, of say a family man with 3 kids living in SF... ?

Just sayin'............

:lol: a lot of what you say it true, now, lets test your honesty- what are the drawbacks, of say a family man with 3 kids living in SF... ?
Having to explain to your children that that man is not holding a melon, it's an inflated scrotum.

Just sayin'............

Oh dont worry s0n........Im not going anywhere near that snake pit!!:up:

Just sayin'............

It's not likely a middle income family man with three kids can afford to live in San Francisco. The family who does and can buy a home are very well off. The home in which I grew up ( 3 & 1 about 1,200 sq ft), a row house in the Sunset District goes for around $800,000 I guess, and in the 'hoods' to the North (Sea Cliff) and East (Twin Peaks) (Forest Hill) (West Portal) and South (Lake Merced) mid and higher seven figures.

That said the private schools in The City are first rate, public schools very and depend on the 'hood'. Of course there is some gang activity in the Western Addition, and the South East part of the City (near the Cow Palace, which btw is in San Mateo Co.) has some serous problems. But, a new light rail line was added recently connecting homes in the SE to downtown, AT&T park and the land south of AT&t Park which is becoming a high tech and Science Center with the Campus of UC San Francisco (a medical and dental school) under construction.

For the family man SF has lots of parks, ball diamonds, tennis courts, hiking trails, a nice zoo and of course Golden Gate Park with many amenities plus cultural activities. The cost is the greatest draw back, though rec centers which abound in most 'hoods' are free and at one time always had adult recreation directors.

One other drawback, one must always dress in layers. Even though the weather rarely gets too cold or too hot the fog and wind can combine to make SF feel like the coldest place on earth.

Laugh...........my..............balls................off......................

What do people think about when they hear "SanFransisco"?

8707582-san-francisco--august-24-homeless-man-sleeps-on-ground-resting-against-a-trash-can-next-to-cable-car.jpg

fcukking fail.............you know when somebody falls all over themselves to write up an expose on how great a city San Fransisco is, you know it blows. Not to mention the city is pushing the blacks out in hordes...........

City is as racist as it gets.............http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2011/03/16/blacks_and_republicans

Last edited:
Laugh...........my..............balls................off......................

What do people think about when they hear "SanFransisco"?

8707582-san-francisco--august-24-homeless-man-sleeps-on-ground-resting-against-a-trash-can-next-to-cable-car.jpg

fcukking fail.............you know when somebody falls all over themselves to write up an expose on how great a city San Fransisco is, you know it blows. Not to mention the city is pushing the blacks out in hordes...........

City is as racist as it gets.............Blacks and Republicans - Page 1 - Thomas Sowell - Townhall Conservative

And where is "not the middle of no where", kook?

I read TS's article, what a crock of shit. SF is 49 sq. miles with views to kill for, weather the envy of most parts of the country and situated close to the ocean, mountains, wine country, a thousand miles of waterways for recreation in the delta, and some of the most beautiful women of all races anywhere in the world - diversity is celebrated. Willie Brown represented SF in the assembly for years and as mayor, a black man; and today the mayor is Asian. A few facts of interest:

http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Francisco-California.html

Oh, and did I mention the Giants won the world series without one black on the activer roster, does that prove anything? Yep, tokenism is a form of racism; black men and women have the same opportunities as any other race in the Bay Area, for your to suggest otherwise is bullshit as is most of what TS writes.

Last edited:
Now that the kook has been dispatched, let's get back on topic.

Yesterday the SF Chronicle reported "Google banking on Solar", see:

Google invests $280 million to spur home solar

They are teamed up with SolarCity and will finance the installation of solar panels on 8,000 to 9,500 homes in the Bay Area.

And of course this:

Tesla to Sell Electric Model X in 2013, Make as Many as 15,000

The echo chamber will continue to offer nothing but reactionary bullshit as innovative entrepreneurs develop and market 'smart' cars, cars which after an initial investment protect the environment and begin to reduce our addiction to oil - something even George W. Bush acknowledged.

Forum List

Back