Only GOOD!!!!! if it's a REPUBLICAN THAT'S IN OFFICE

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Stephanie, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    Pelosi, Waxman Introduce Anti-Cronyism Bill

9/27/2005 11:06:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: National Desk, Congressional Reporter

Contact: Brendan Daly of the office of House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, 202-226-7616 or Karen Lightfoot of the office of Congressman Henry A. Waxman, 202-225-5051

WASHINGTON, Sept. 27 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Today, Congressman Henry A. Waxman and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi introduced the Anti-Cronyism and Public Safety Act, which would prohibit the President from appointing unqualified individuals to critical public safety positions in the government.

"President Bush has handed out some of the country's most difficult and important jobs - leadership positions in public safety and emergency response - to politically well-connected individuals with no experience or qualifications," Rep. Waxman said. "This common sense legislation will end this practice and ensure that public safety is back in the hands of those who are trained and experienced in protecting the public."

The bill would require any presidential appointee for a public safety position to have proven, relevant credentials for that position. In addition, the legislation bars from appointment to an agency any individual who has been a lobbyist for an industry subject to the agency's authority during the preceding two years.

"As Hurricane Katrina tragically demonstrated, serious consequences result when unqualified cronies are appointed to federal public safety positions," Pelosi said. "The Bush Administration's culture of cronyism comes at the expense of public safety. It is unconscionable and must stop immediately - it is literally a matter of life and death. This legislation is critically needed, and I thank Mr. Waxman for his strong leadership in protecting the American people."

Subject to the bill are specific senior-level emergency preparedness offices at the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Environmental Protection Agency, as well as any position with the primary function of responding to a direct threat to life or property or hazard to health.

For more information, visit http://www.democrats.reform.house.gov .

http://www.usnewswire.com/

2. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Brilliant. Why don't we introduce a no whining bill while we're at it.

3. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Its funny that the head of FEMA was convicted in the media as being a complete failure. I think its a little too soon to be passing laws about this. I think this is more about inept goverment agencies than an individual.

But the public needs a whipping boy :whip:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Exactly right----I thought Brown did quite well defending his actions and his qualifications for his job. Another hyterical reaction from the media and the left. What a brilliant bill-----let's close the barn door after the horse has run away. I would be getting empathetically embarrassed for these folks if they weren't so dangerous.

5. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hey, if the guy can effectively judge a horse and pony show, he can do anything. I say promote Brown to head of Homeland Security. Who's with me?

6. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    :rotflmao:

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Check his resume for yourself and get back with me.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You mean this media? :rolleyes:
    con't 2nd post

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    :rolleyes: con'td

10. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    A lot of folks are questioning Brown's qualifications to handle a crisis as the head of FEMA. Has anyone questioned the qualifications of the LA governor or the NO mayor to plan and execute crisis action? What makes anyone think the current governor of LA has any qualifications to handle state emergencies or any other kind of emergency?

I see a lot of misdirection here in an obvious attempt to make a scape goat out of brown, while certain others skate by.