One step closer to understanding the disease called Progressivism.

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
I discovered this important fact about those people who are in the throes of Progressivism when I was arguing a few minutes ago on FaceBook.

A certain scientist who happens to be an outspoken atheist, had said something about Christmas that irritated Christians.

I realized that progressives compensate for thier lack of knowledge, critical thinking skills, and common sense by idol worshipping people with degrees. Apparently they feel that by liking, sharing, and quoting the opinions and beliefs of people with a college education makes them appear smart.

Interesting. Perhaps by understanding the people suffering from progressivism, we get closer to a cure.

I discovered this important fact about those people who are in the throes of Progressivism when I was arguing a few minutes ago on FaceBook.

A certain scientist who happens to be an outspoken atheist, had said something about Christmas that irritated Christians.

I realized that progressives compensate for thier lack of knowledge, critical thinking skills, and common sense by idol worshipping people with degrees. Apparently they feel that by liking, sharing, and quoting the opinions and beliefs of people with a college education makes them appear smart.

Interesting. Perhaps by understanding the people suffering from progressivism, we get closer to a cure.
as opposed to the religious people praying to a statue .....at least the one with a degree is real and can answer a question....just sayin....

There are beliefs Progressives hold that are sensible and there are beliefs they hold that are bat shit crazy. In other words, they aren't any difference than conservatives.

as opposed to the religious people praying to a statue .....at least the one with a degree is real and can answer a question....just sayin....

You completely miss the point.

the point i see is you putting down those on the left....because....they listen to science over religion....if im wrong, tell me what your point is....

the point i see is you putting down those on the left....because....they listen to science over religion....if im wrong, tell me what your point is....

I'm hypothesizing that the reason so many ignorant lefties like scientists is because they think if they quote them, post items from them, or generally worship them, it makes them look smart.

I'm hypothesizing that the reason so many ignorant lefties like scientists is because they think if they quote them, post items from them, or generally worship them, it makes them look smart.
ok i hear ya.....some dont even understand the science they are quoting.....but at the same time many righties will use bible quotes to make it seem like they are religious, when they only go to a church when there is a wedding or funeral or only pray when something bad happens....but i get what you are saying....

I would define liberal Progressivism in terms of the movement for Equality between people with different outlooks and lifestyles and genders. Its historical roots are not that bad and indeed many Christians sided with them in the fight for freedom of worship, female and racial equality and the liberation of slaves and ending of child labour practices for instance. However modern Liberal Progressives having achieved many of their more worthwhile goals have gone badly wrong. In place of freedom of worship they seek to impose a secular idea of the equality of religions, in place of the liberation of women they have added an extremist feminist agenda that includes abortion as choice and employment quotas regardless of merit and they have added equality of sexuality and transgender rights to their list of to dos.

But I do not think it is fair to say that they are uneducated. Indeed academia , government and the media is mainly captivated by their ideology which is increasingly enshrined in law. So a great many of them have degrees and many people who have degrees are increasingly vulnerable to their agenda.

In practice there are a series of very powerful lobby groups that have been targeting the government and media for decades and in France and the UK for instance have mainly succeeded in taking over and which have thrived under Obamas administration also. The gay lobby and Muslims come up as the most prominent and powerful of these groups. They have succeeded in getting a great many people terrified of losing their jobs or even of being imprisoned if they do not tow the line when it comes to the tenets of Liberal Philosophy. It will take decades to unravel the damage they have done in fact much of which is now law.

What brought this to my attention was in arguing with the progressives on FB it was clear how ignorant they were. I've seen that here where the major problem with progressives is that they lack reading comprehension skills at even a rudimentary level. Of course rational thinking tells us that not all Progressives are ignorant, but that's because those who are smart AND Progressive are therefor evil bastards.

I was not aware Nosebook was around a hundred years ago.

What brought this to my attention was in arguing with the progressives on FB it was clear how ignorant they were. I've seen that here where the major problem with progressives is that they lack reading comprehension skills at even a rudimentary level. Of course rational thinking tells us that not all Progressives are ignorant, but that's because those who are smart AND Progressive are therefor evil bastards.

After doing a completely unscientific and unscholarly analysis of this, I have come to the conclusion that Progressives are neither uneducated nor ignorant when it comes to complex or academic context. Many are competent, even exemplary, in their chosen professions and avocations.

The problem with Progressivism, as it is understood in modern day America, is that people afflicted with this condition are missing the ability to comprehend, articulate, or utilize certain concepts that are crystal clear to those we understand to be conservative/libertarian (little "L") in modern day America. They are incapable of honestly characterizing the statements or expressed opinions of non-Progressives and incapable of accurately expressing the views of conservatives/libertarians. And, though there is an occasional exception, when they pretend to do so, they will most often use aspersions, red herrings, straw men, and non sequitur instead of honest debate.

The issue is not intelligence or education. The issue is the inability to see and understand.

Wait for it. . . . .:)

I was not aware Nosebook was around a hundred years ago.

There is a whole lot you aren't aware of. I imagine though, and I could be wrong because I'm trying to understand your progressive "mind", that you somehow think I implied that Facebook is the tool that Progressives use to communicate, and have for 100 years.

Work on your reading comprehension.

After doing a completely unscientific and unscholarly analysis of this, I have come to the conclusion that Progressives are neither uneducated nor ignorant when it comes to complex or academic context. Many are competent, even exemplary, in their chosen professions and avocations.

The problem with Progressivism, as it is understood in modern day America, is that people afflicted with this condition are missing the ability to comprehend, articulate, or utilize certain concepts that are crystal clear to those we understand to be conservative/libertarian (little "L") in modern day America. They are incapable of honestly characterizing the statements or expressed opinions of non-Progressives and incapable of accurately expressing the views of conservatives/libertarians. And, though there is an occasional exception, when they pretend to do so, they will most often use aspersions, red herrings, straw men, and non sequitur instead of honest debate.

The issue is not intelligence or education. The issue is the inability to see and understand.

You are correct, and I wasn't trying to imply that my discovery encompassed all that is wrong with Progressives. It's just one aspect. Yours is another. I will say that a great deal of the progressives on Facebook ARE uneducated. They latch on to some educated progressive but cannot actually articulate the persons point. When challenged, they only cut and paste quotes, and ask why I hate science.

You are correct, and I wasn't trying to imply that my discovery encompassed all that is wrong with Progressives. It's just one aspect. Yours is another. I will say that a great deal of the progressives on Facebook ARE uneducated. They latch on to some educated progressive but cannot actually articulate the persons point. When challenged, they only cut and paste quotes, and ask why I hate science.

LOL. Yes, there is the cut and paste method of participating on message boards and I will admit that it does seem to be much more often progressives who couldn't explain what they are posting when they do that if their lives depended on it. And as you have observed, if we who identify ourselves as other than progressives do not embrace the content they post, then we do 'hate science' or some version of that. Or, instead of considering an observation that I make, they are screaming for links. :)

My observation, however, was along the lines of being dysfunctional. I believe it was Ronald Reagan who said: "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." :)

I am not arguing against your thesis so much as I am proposing a different reason other than ignorance and lack of education for the phenomenon. They have the information. They are simply unable or unwilling to process it as it is, but are compelled to deny or accuse it or somehow twist it into the progressive doctrine.

For instance, I don't know how many times I've heard or seen progressives post that most of the Founders were deists. The evidence flies in the face of that, but it is the only way they can dismiss the fact that the Founders, even the very few who rejected the divinity of Jesus, embraced a Christian ethic and that guided the foundations of the nation they created. Even the unitarians did not fully embrace Deism as they did not reject the importance of a nation who obeyed the laws of God or the pure Christian ethic as necessary for the Constitution to work. The Progressives seem compelled to dismiss that same Christian ethic as missing in the process rather than to consider how it factored into the Declaration of Independence and the concepts and principles that went into the Constitution they adopted.

And maybe that is a form of ignorance or lack of proper education. I rather think however, it is entrenched in a flawed mindset of their own unique concept of right and wrong, good and evil, etc.

Last edited:
The most effective way to defeat a Prog is to keep them on task. Don't allow them to smoke screen or deflect. If you dismiss their attempts at dragging the argument off point, they cannot win.

What in the wide world of fuck are you talking about?

strawman.jpg

What in the wide world of fuck are you talking about?

strawman.jpg

And there we go!

And used wrongly too. :)
The most effective way to defeat a Prog is to keep them on task. Don't allow them to smoke screen or deflect. If you dismiss their attempts at dragging the argument off point, they cannot win.

No they can't win if required to argue the concept instead of focusing on their opponent in the debate, but that has been almost impossible to achieve on a message board. On my "A New and Improved Constitution" thread, it has remained mostly cordial, but despite my best efforts to keep the discussion on point, the progressives simply can't help themselves. They simply HAVE to point to 'eeeeeeevul' Republicans or Tea Party extremism or greedy, hateful conservatism as the reason that everything is screwed up and if everybody just embraced progressivism, the world would be a much better place. They simply are unable to argue any concept offered at face value but will almost 100% consistently drag the ad hominem element into it.

Why? Because I believe they most often operate on pure emotionalism, judgmentalism, and delusions of righteousness and are incapable of arguing a rationale for a policy or point of view apart from that ad hominem mindset.

Forum List

Back