One Of The Wealthiest Men In America Says Rich Not Paying Their Fair Share

you libs and dems constantly complain about the rich not paying enough. Great we get it

Now, tell us who wrote the tax code that lets the very rich get off with paying a low % of their income in federal taxes. Can you do that? No?

then here is the answer---------------congress wrote the tax code, congress created the tax shelters, deductions, exemptions, write offs, etc that you constantly bitch about.

NOW, which party has controlled congress for most of the last 80 years? Any idea? Democrats.

so if you want to bitch about what the rich pay, bitch at your own party you fricken morons.

In fact, I believe Clinton is the one who signed a bill reducing the capital gains tax to 15%. It was the smartest thing he did in office, but Democrats all gnash their teeth over it now.

Simple common sense: If the owner of the business that employs you suddenly finds his taxes raised by at least 10%, is he going to be more likely or less likely to give more raises, open more new offices, approve more promotions, invest in more R&D, etc.?

Suppose you have been paying a couple people to maintain your lawn and to do some basic house chores. Then, suppose you find your tax bill going up by 10%, or 20%, or more. If you have cut every other part of your budget that you can cut, what are you likely going to do next? You're going to say, "Well, I hate to do it, but I'm gonna have to start cutting my own grass and doing all the house chores myself."

That's how the real world works, but the haters of the rich generally have no clue about what it takes to run a business. And notice that the class warfare folks never talk about all the state and local taxes that big business owners pay--the property taxes, the business license fees (which can be huge), the state income taxes, the unemployment insurance tax--not to mention the fact that employers have to pay part of your Social Security and Medicare taxes (that's right: you don't pay all of those taxes--your employer pays part of them).

Warren Buffet says NOTHING without an ulterior motive.
He is one of the few players behind the 2008 Derivatives crash.

I agree to a point.

First step, get rid of all bureaucracies. That would save us a ton of money. Next, quit funding Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS. Stop shoveling out money to foreign nations like Iran for a couple hundred billion dollars. Get rid of Commie Care. That's at least a half a trillion right there.

Typical Republican banter......cut taxes and cut out everything else which always goes to the most needy in the country. People at the top don't need help. They're very goddam lucky!!

I was a Republican for the first thirty years I voted. I voted for Eisenhower, Goldwater, Nixon three times and even the old fool Ronald Reagan one time. I went twenty years and didn't even go to the polls. The only things the modern Republican party stands for is tax cuts for the rich and subsidies for the corporations......Oh, and an occasional foreign war. The Republicans will go to war with a sovereign nation simply because they don't like the leader. This letter they wrote to Bill Clinton in 1998 proves it:

December 18, 1998

The Honorable William J. Clinton
President of the United States
Washington, DC

Dear Mr. President,

We are writing you because we are convinced that current American policy toward Iraq is not succeeding, and that we may soon face a threat in the Middle East more serious than any we have known since the end of the Cold War. In your upcoming State of the Union Address, you have an opportunity to chart a clear and determined course for meeting this threat. We urge you to seize that opportunity, and to enunciate a new strategy that would secure the interests of the U.S. and our friends and allies around the world. That strategy should aim, above all, at the removal of Saddam Hussein's regime from power. We stand ready to offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor. The policy of containment of Saddam Hussein has been steadily eroding over the past several months. As recent events have demonstrated, we can no longer depend on our partners in the Gulf War coalition to continue to uphold the sanctions or to punish Saddam when he blocks or evades UN inspections. Our ability to ensure that Saddam Hussein is not producing weapons of mass destruction, therefore, has substantially diminished. Even if full inspections were eventually to resume, which now seems highly unlikely, experience has shown that it is difficult if not impossible to monitor Iraq's chemical and biological weapons production. The lengthy period during which the inspectors will have been unable to enter many Iraqi facilities has made it even less likely that they will be able to uncover all of Saddam's secrets. As a result, in the not-too-distant future we will be unable to determine with any reasonable level of confidence whether Iraq does or does not possess such weapons. Such uncertainty will, by itself, have a seriously destabilizing effect on the entire Middle East. It hardly needs to be added that if Saddam does acquire the capability to deliver weapons of mass destruction, as he is almost certain to do if we continue along the present course, the safety of American troops in the region, of our friends and allies like Israel and the moderate Arab states, and a significant portion of the world's supply of oil will all be put at hazard. As you have rightly declared, Mr. President, the security of the world in the first part of the 21st century will be determined largely by how we handle this threat. Given the magnitude of the threat, the current policy, which depends for its success upon the steadfastness of our coalition partners and upon the cooperation of Saddam Hussein, is dangerously inadequate.
The only acceptable strategy is one that eliminates the possibility that Iraq will be able to use or threaten to use weapons of mass destruction. In the near term, this means a willingness to undertake military action as diplomacy is clearly failing. In the long term, it means removing Saddam Hussein and his regime from power. That now needs to become the aim of American foreign policy.
We urge you to articulate this aim, and to turn your Administration's attention to implementing a strategy for removing Saddam's regime from power. This will require a full complement of diplomatic, political and military efforts. Although we are fully aware of the dangers and difficulties in implementing this policy, we believe the dangers of failing to do so are far greater. We believe the U.S. has the authority under existing UN resolutions to take the necessary steps, including military steps, to protect our vital interests in the Gulf. In any case, American policy cannot continue to be crippled by a misguided insistence on unanimity in the UN Security Council. We urge you to act decisively. If you act now to end the threat of weapons of mass destruction against the U.S. or its allies, you will be acting in the most fundamental national security interests of the country. If we accept a course of weakness and drift, we put our interests and our future at risk.

Sincerely,

Elliott Abrams Richard L. Armitag William J. Bennett
Jeffrey Bergner John Bolton Paula Dobriansky
Francis Fukuyama Robert Kagan Zalmay Khalilzad
William Kristol Richard Perle Peter W.Rodman
Donald Rumsfeld William Schneider, Jr. Vin Weber
Paul Wolfowitz R. James Woolsey
Robert B. Zoellick

You should wake up more often and pay attention to the news.

Last time the Republican Congress had anything to do with taxes on the rich, they increased them.

Last time the Republican Congress had anything to do with taxes on corporations, they increased them, so to the point we now have the highest corporate tax rate in the world.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, that grants Congress the right, of expending on articles of benevolence, the money of their constituents."
James Madison, annals of congress, 1794

Now ask yourself, had we adhered to Madison's words, would we be anywhere near 19 trillion dollars in debt today???

Horse Fucking Shit!!! You're either the most naïve person to ever post on the internet or a bare faced liar!!

Yep. Exactly the response I was expecting from a lib.

libs cannot deal with the truth. it makes their little heads implode.

OK....let's see how you handle this one:

George W. Bush, a draft dodger, invaded Iraq, a country which had not harmed the U S, simply because he was pissed at Saddam Hussein because Saddam tried to assassinate George H. W. Bush in Qatar circa 1993. That little invasion cost 4500 young American lives, 35,000 seriously wounded and a trillion dollars of new debt. Quite a price to pay to satisfy something personal.

I agree to a point.

First step, get rid of all bureaucracies. That would save us a ton of money. Next, quit funding Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS. Stop shoveling out money to foreign nations like Iran for a couple hundred billion dollars. Get rid of Commie Care. That's at least a half a trillion right there.

Typical Republican banter......cut taxes and cut out everything else which always goes to the most needy in the country. People at the top don't need help. They're very goddam lucky!!

I was a Republican for the first thirty years I voted. I voted for Eisenhower, Goldwater, Nixon three times and even the old fool Ronald Reagan one time. I went twenty years and didn't even go to the polls. The only things the modern Republican party stands for is tax cuts for the rich and subsidies for the corporations......Oh, and an occasional foreign war. The Republicans will go to war with a sovereign nation simply because they don't like the leader. This letter they wrote to Bill Clinton in 1998 proves it:

December 18, 1998

The Honorable William J. Clinton
President of the United States
Washington, DC

Dear Mr. President,

We are writing you because we are convinced that current American policy toward Iraq is not succeeding, and that we may soon face a threat in the Middle East more serious than any we have known since the end of the Cold War. In your upcoming State of the Union Address, you have an opportunity to chart a clear and determined course for meeting this threat. We urge you to seize that opportunity, and to enunciate a new strategy that would secure the interests of the U.S. and our friends and allies around the world. That strategy should aim, above all, at the removal of Saddam Hussein's regime from power. We stand ready to offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor. The policy of containment of Saddam Hussein has been steadily eroding over the past several months. As recent events have demonstrated, we can no longer depend on our partners in the Gulf War coalition to continue to uphold the sanctions or to punish Saddam when he blocks or evades UN inspections. Our ability to ensure that Saddam Hussein is not producing weapons of mass destruction, therefore, has substantially diminished. Even if full inspections were eventually to resume, which now seems highly unlikely, experience has shown that it is difficult if not impossible to monitor Iraq's chemical and biological weapons production. The lengthy period during which the inspectors will have been unable to enter many Iraqi facilities has made it even less likely that they will be able to uncover all of Saddam's secrets. As a result, in the not-too-distant future we will be unable to determine with any reasonable level of confidence whether Iraq does or does not possess such weapons. Such uncertainty will, by itself, have a seriously destabilizing effect on the entire Middle East. It hardly needs to be added that if Saddam does acquire the capability to deliver weapons of mass destruction, as he is almost certain to do if we continue along the present course, the safety of American troops in the region, of our friends and allies like Israel and the moderate Arab states, and a significant portion of the world's supply of oil will all be put at hazard. As you have rightly declared, Mr. President, the security of the world in the first part of the 21st century will be determined largely by how we handle this threat. Given the magnitude of the threat, the current policy, which depends for its success upon the steadfastness of our coalition partners and upon the cooperation of Saddam Hussein, is dangerously inadequate.
The only acceptable strategy is one that eliminates the possibility that Iraq will be able to use or threaten to use weapons of mass destruction. In the near term, this means a willingness to undertake military action as diplomacy is clearly failing. In the long term, it means removing Saddam Hussein and his regime from power. That now needs to become the aim of American foreign policy.
We urge you to articulate this aim, and to turn your Administration's attention to implementing a strategy for removing Saddam's regime from power. This will require a full complement of diplomatic, political and military efforts. Although we are fully aware of the dangers and difficulties in implementing this policy, we believe the dangers of failing to do so are far greater. We believe the U.S. has the authority under existing UN resolutions to take the necessary steps, including military steps, to protect our vital interests in the Gulf. In any case, American policy cannot continue to be crippled by a misguided insistence on unanimity in the UN Security Council. We urge you to act decisively. If you act now to end the threat of weapons of mass destruction against the U.S. or its allies, you will be acting in the most fundamental national security interests of the country. If we accept a course of weakness and drift, we put our interests and our future at risk.

Sincerely,

Elliott Abrams Richard L. Armitag William J. Bennett
Jeffrey Bergner John Bolton Paula Dobriansky
Francis Fukuyama Robert Kagan Zalmay Khalilzad
William Kristol Richard Perle Peter W.Rodman
Donald Rumsfeld William Schneider, Jr. Vin Weber
Paul Wolfowitz R. James Woolsey
Robert B. Zoellick

You should wake up more often and pay attention to the news.

Last time the Republican Congress had anything to do with taxes on the rich, they increased them.

Last time the Republican Congress had anything to do with taxes on corporations, they increased them, so to the point we now have the highest corporate tax rate in the world.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, that grants Congress the right, of expending on articles of benevolence, the money of their constituents."
James Madison, annals of congress, 1794

Now ask yourself, had we adhered to Madison's words, would we be anywhere near 19 trillion dollars in debt today???

Horse Fucking Shit!!! You're either the most naïve person to ever post on the internet or a bare faced liar!!

Yep. Exactly the response I was expecting from a lib.

libs cannot deal with the truth. it makes their little heads implode.

It's like I've said here so many times since I joined USMB in late summer, the best part of being a liberal is never having to say you were wrong.

It makes you wonder why we take the time to prove them wrong or give them the information they request: a complete waste of time. They will put the palms of their hands against their ears and sing aloud.

Oh, Buffett again? Sigh. . . . His nonsense has been debunked a zillion times. Here's one of hundreds of recent articles that could be cited:

The Rich Pay More than Their Fair Share of Taxes | Economics21

Whenever an Article says "adjusted " gross income , its already bullshit .

How about actual income and actual tax payments? Any time a rich person releases their tax return we are all shocked to find they pay a much lower % than expected .
The fact is that Conservatives hate Accountants.

Oh, Buffett again? Sigh. . . . His nonsense has been debunked a zillion times. Here's one of hundreds of recent articles that could be cited:

How about actual income and actual tax payments? Any time a rich person releases their tax return we are all shocked to find they pay a much lower % than expected .

Oh yes, we are so shocked at what they pay in taxes. Funny how we are never "shocked" at what our politicians do with those taxes. That's what we should really be shocked about.

Oh yes, we are so shocked at what they pay in taxes. Funny how we are never "shocked" at what our politicians do with those taxes. That's what we should really be shocked about.

I agree.

And it's all of them. Even the so called conservatives . You watch the debate and all their ideas mean more n more spending .

I good ole Warren doesn't think he is paying his "fair share" then all he has to do is send the IRS more money each year. With about $30 billion he can afford to put his money where his mouth is.

Since he won't do that then he is a hypocritical assholes and his opinion ain't worth shit.

Since his opinion is no more valid than mine my opinion is that all Americans pay too munch in taxes because this filthy ass out of control debt ridden corrupt oppressive government spends far too much money.

Strange you would mention that. Bill Clinton raised taxes and balanced the budget......actually left a surplus. The problem the Republicans have is that they cut tax rates and borrow trillions from foreign banks and never cut their spending a goddam dime. They effectively borrow money from foreign banks and hand it directly to the richest people in the country.
The big myth the left likes to distort.

oh brother. that's easy enough to say when you're gawddam rich for crying out loud.

Nothing is stopping him from donating all his monies to the Fed. Guberment

He's telling the truth. Why the hell should a normal everyday American pay at the same percentage as a millionaire? This country was built on everybody paying their fair share.....not a flat tax rate! We had a middle class until Reagan slashed tax rates to 50 year lows:

6a00d83451c45669e201675ecf1529970b-550wi

THEN THE RESULT:

inequality-p25_averagehouseholdincom.png

Nearly half of Americans pay no income tax at all. And in this country, nobody pays their fair share. That's why the top 10% of wage earners in this country pay 70% of all collected income taxes.

The top 10% should pay it all....they damn sure don't go fight and die in the Republican wars.

oh brother. that's easy enough to say when you're gawddam rich for crying out loud.

He's telling the truth. Why the hell should a normal everyday American pay at the same percentage as a millionaire? This country was built on everybody paying their fair share.....not a flat tax rate! We had a middle class until Reagan slashed tax rates to 50 year lows:

THEN THE RESULT:

Nearly half of Americans pay no income tax at all. And in this country, nobody pays their fair share. That's why the top 10% of wage earners in this country pay 70% of all collected income taxes.

The top 10% should pay it all....they damn sure don't go fight and die in the Republican wars.

They should, huh?

Can you explain why anybody should be paying your way through life? Because they happen to have it? If you are in a fancy restaurant, and there is a very rich guy there, should he be buying your dinner for you and your wife? Or if you are looking at new cars at the dealership, should a rich guy buy you a car because of the reason he is wealthy?

I guess that's the difference between conservative and liberal philosophy: conservatives believe all men are created equal, while liberals believe they make everybody equal.

How much is YOUR fair share of what somebody else worked for?"
Thomas Sowell

THEN THE RESULT:

They should, huh?

Can you explain why anybody should be paying your way through life? Because they happen to have it? If you are in a fancy restaurant, and there is a very rich guy there, should he be buying your dinner for you and your wife? Or if you are looking at new cars at the dealership, should a rich guy buy you a car because of the reason he is wealthy?

I guess that's the difference between conservative and liberal philosophy: conservatives believe all men are created equal, while liberals believe they make everybody equal.

Thomas Sowell

What you folks never have nor ever will admit is that rich people usually get their money one of two ways.

1) They inherit it
2) They use the labor and/or talents of others.....anything else is some kind of con

I have a theory about what goes on in this life. A person cannot choose their parents. They cannot choose where they will be born. They cannot choose their IQ. They have nothing to say about whether or not they will be crippled or normal. Why don't you Republican assholes just admit how lucky you are?

Last edited:

THEN THE RESULT:

They should, huh?

Thomas Sowell

What you folks never have nor ever will admit is that rich people got it one of two ways.

1) They inherited it
2) They used the labor and/or talents of others.....anything else is some kind of con

I have a theory about what goes on in this life. A person cannot choose who their parents will be. They cannot choose where they will be born. They cannot choose their IQ. They have nothing to say about whether or not they will be crippled or normal. Why don't you Republican assholes just admit how lucky you are?

The Republicans are not against those who are underprivileged physically or mentally. The Republicans are against those who are capable of earning a living but opt to suck off the system because Democrats are able to buy votes that way.

Economist Dr. Walter E Williams said it best about the wealthy. When teaching in college, he was often asked by his students what the secret to financial success was? He would always reply that it's no secret at all. The key to financial success is making your fellow man happy. That's it.

You've been told you make a great hamburger when you cook for parties or picnics, so you take your great hamburger and open up a restaurant. You are making your fellow man happy by the hundreds, and that will be reflected in your income. Then you decide to franchise your restaurant and sell your delicious burger to millions of people. Again, your income will reflect serving your fellow man by the millions: McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King.

You often play your guitar for friends and family at parties or gatherings, and they tell you that your music is outstanding. So you put together a band and start playing bars and weddings making your fellow man happy by the hundreds, and you will be financially rewarded. Then a recording company hears about your talent, signs you up to make a recording, and now your music is pleasing your fellow man by the millions. Your income will reflect that.

In most cases, wealthy people are wealthy because they provide a product or service that pleases their fellow man by the thousands or millions. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Oprah, Cher........

THEN THE RESULT:

They should, huh?

Thomas Sowell

What you folks never have nor ever will admit is that rich people got it one of two ways.

1) They inherited it
2) They used the labor and/or talents of others.....anything else is some kind of con

I have a theory about what goes on in this life. A person cannot choose who their parents will be. They cannot choose where they will be born. They cannot choose their IQ. They have nothing to say about whether or not they will be crippled or normal. Why don't you Republican assholes just admit how lucky you are?

The Republicans are not against those who are underprivileged physically or mentally. The Republicans are against those who are capable of earning a living but opt to suck off the system because Democrats are able to buy votes that way.

Economist Dr. Walter E Williams said it best about the wealthy. When teaching in college, he was often asked by his students what the secret to financial success was? He would always reply that it's no secret at all. The key to financial success is making your fellow man happy. That's it.

You've been told you make a great hamburger when you cook for parties or picnics, so you take your great hamburger and open up a restaurant. You are making your fellow man happy by the hundreds, and that will be reflected in your income. Then you decide to franchise your restaurant and sell your delicious burger to millions of people. Again, your income will reflect serving your fellow man by the millions: McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King.

You often play your guitar for friends and family at parties or gatherings, and they tell you that your music is outstanding. So you put together a band and start playing bars and weddings making your fellow man happy by the hundreds, and you will be financially rewarded. Then a recording company hears about your talent, signs you up to make a recording, and now your music is pleasing your fellow man by the millions. Your income will reflect that.

In most cases, wealthy people are wealthy because they provide a product or service that pleases their fellow man by the thousands or millions. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Oprah, Cher........

LOL....life is a business solution. You are definitely a Republican!

What about the poor bastard who is born with osteoporosis and is losing bone mass every day that he/she lives? A person living their life knowing that just bending forward might break their back. Crippled people definitely don't want to join the Republican party.

What absolutely amazes me is that the Republicans are the Christians...damndest set of Christians I ever heard about:

Matthew 7:12
"Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You!"

Last edited:

They should, huh?

Thomas Sowell

1) They inherited it

LOL....life is a business solution. You are definitely a Republican!

What about the poor bastard who is born with osteoporosis and is losing bone mass every day that he/she lives? A person living their life knowing that just bending forward might break their back. Crippled people definitely don't want to join the Republican party.

Why is that? When have Republicans stated they want the disabled to support themselves? If anything, we want to get the leeches off of the programs so that those who really need them have more. Don't get me wrong, we think it would be great of a disabled person were able to find a way to create money. I've seen it done repeatedly in my life. But no Republican is for throwing the unfortunate off of our welfare programs to let them starve or die.

Forum List

Back