one more "nail in the coffin" for the carbon extraction industry?

I don't know if you've noticed, but this is true to a lesser and lesser extent. Power is being supplied by nuclear power plants, by wind, by solar thermal and solar PV. Cars are moving to batteries and take their power from the grid. We are moving away from petroleum as an energy source. We still burn billions of gallons of the stuff, but that amount is shrinking and will continue to shrink.

...Like I said, the world still runs on oil and coal.

Hampering/obstructing exploration and production of those resources in america only hurts americans and the american economy...

The change over from petroleum to renewable, sustainable, low-to-no carbon energy sources helps the human race. Like most large changes, it's far far better to do it when you can than when you have to. And this is a global change. It needs to be addressed globally. Regional jingoism helps no one.

Yeah..that's all very nice..I, and millions of others are more interested in america and our immediate problems than marxist doubletalk about "global change" and the "human race".

.....as for the present (and foreseeable future), the world still runs on oil and coal.

Hampering/obstructing exploration and production of those resources in america only hurts americans and the american economy...

But not for long. The Age of Oil is coming to an end, whether you want it to or not

Yeah..that's all very nice..I, and millions of others are more interested in america and our immediate problems than marxist doubletalk about "global change" and the "human race".

"Marxist doubletalk" Hahahahahaaaa. What a buffoon.

.....as for the present (and foreseeable future), the world still runs on oil and coal.

Wrong. Pushing Americans and the rest of the world away from oil and towards renewable and reduced carbon energy sources helps everyone. Burning oil and coal are responsible for the warming we've experienced and warming still to come. When hundreds of millions of people - in America and elsewhere - have to move away from the coast at a cost of hundreds of trillions of dollars in lost infrastructure, it will be the burning of oil and coal that will have been responsible.

But not for long. The Age of Oil is coming to an end, whether you want it to or not

Oh..I see now..you need to make this personal..LMAO..it has nothing to do with what I "want"...you're trying to deflect.

So tell me?..what day will the "Age of Oil" end? What year? What time?

Great rebuttal, scooter..when outclassed, call them names... :rolleyes:

Wrong. Pushing Americans and the rest of the world away from oil and towards renewable and reduced carbon energy sources helps everyone. Burning oil and coal are responsible for the warming we've experienced and warming still to come. When hundreds of millions of people - in America and elsewhere - have to move away from the coast at a cost of hundreds of trillions of dollars in lost infrastructure, it will be the burning of oil and coal that will have been responsible.

Oh the HORROR! We're all going to DIE!

....and when will these hundreds of millions of people have to move? This week? Next? In December?

LMAO...hyperbole and unproven/unproveable speculation and doubletalk.

That stuff can all be made from corn & soybeans.

That has NOT been shown and, even where it's possible, it may well be economically unfeasible. There is enough oil left in the ground to support our plastics needs for the foreseeable future and almost all of that plastic is recyclable.

As of 2008 bioplastics made up over 331,000 tons of the plastics market. Bioplastics' prices are lower than regular plastics.

Last edited:
The Age of Oil is coming to an end, whether you want it to or not

Oh..I see now..you need to make this personal..LMAO..it has nothing to do with what I "want"...you're trying to deflect.

Try a little harder to master reading comprehension. Petroleum is a finite resource. We WILL run out. It WILL become unaffordable before that occurs. Numerous experts believe it has already peaked; economically feasible oil production is on the way out and this will take place whether you want production to continue or do not.

So tell me?..what day will the "Age of Oil" end? What year? What time?

Do you actually believe that's a smart comeback? Digest this:

August_2013_peak_oil_models.png

Great rebuttal, scooter..when outclassed, call them names...

It is at least equivalent to "Marxist doubletalk" from someone admitting they don't care about the human race.

When hundreds of millions of people - in America and elsewhere - have to move away from the coast at a cost of hundreds of trillions of dollars in lost infrastructure, it will be the burning of oil and coal that will have been responsible.

Oh the HORROR! We're all going to DIE!

....and when will these hundreds of millions of people have to move? This week? Next? In December?

At the latest, when the West Antarctic Ice Sheet finishes crumbling in to the Southern Ocean.

From Wikipedia's article on Sea Level Rise:

Statistical data on the human impact of sea-level rise is scarce. A study in the April, 2007 issue of Environment and Urbanization reports that 634 million people live in coastal areas within 30 feet (9.1 m) of sea level. The study also reported that about two thirds of the world's cities with over five million people are located in these low-lying coastal areas. The IPCC report of 2007 estimated that accelerated melting of the Himalayan ice caps and the resulting rise in sea levels would likely increase the severity of flooding in the short term during the rainy season and greatly magnify the impact of tidal storm surges during the cyclone season. A sea-level rise of just 400 mm in the Bay of Bengal would put 11 percent of the Bangladesh's coastal land underwater, creating 7–10 million climate refugees.

The median projection for total sea level rise (thermal expansion and ice melt) by 2100 in AR4 was 37 cm. In AR5 it was 60 cm. As science learns more, the picture only becomes more bleak. The WAIS is irreversibly destabilized and contains enough ice to flood a majority of the human population. The estimate of the melt rate of the Greenland ice sheet have gone up significantly with every new study.

LMAO...hyperbole and unproven/unproveable speculation and doubletalk.

No. It's science. If you don't understand it, get an education.

Yeah...blah...blah...

When will the oil run out?
What day?
What time?

How is crippling american energy production good for america?

The world runs on oil and coal. Hate it for you.

Purposely crippling american energy production based on an unproven theory of unproven disasterous results sometime off in the unproven misty future is stupid....post all the "charts"...cite all the wikipedia (LMAO) you want...call people names...do whatever you think you need to do.

It all comes back to "the world still runs on oil and coal".....hate it for you.

That stuff can all be made from corn & soybeans.

That has NOT been shown and, even where it's possible, it may well be economically unfeasible. There is enough oil left in the ground to support our plastics needs for the foreseeable future and almost all of that plastic is recyclable.

As of 2008 bioplastics made up over 331,000 tons of the plastics market. Bioplastics' prices are lower than regular plastics.

Don't get me wrong. I FULLY support bio-sourced plastics and bio-degradeable plastics, but 331,000 tons is less than a drop in the proverbial bucket. I am glad to hear that bioplastics now cost less than their oil-based progenitors. I did not know that. Still, petroleum is more useful as a material than as a fuel.

There it is people. Nothing about posterity of this great nation just "I want it & I want it now". Thats the denier credo & why we have a hard time moving forward because of, lets be honest, dolts AKA- extraction industry, dupes like him.

There it is people. Nothing about posterity of this great nation just "I want it & I want it now". Thats the denier credo & why we have a hard time moving forward because of, lets be honest, dolts AKA- extraction industry, dupes like him.

The world runs on oil and coal....all the rest of your "sky is falling we're all going to die" is speculation and hyperbole...None of it can be proven...but of course that's the point, isn't it?

When the man says "made from hydrocarbons", he's not talking about energy production Paddy ol'boy. He's talking about material feed stock. All the world's plastics are made from petroleum. Hundreds of different chemicals for home and industrial use. Medicine. Soaps. Petroleum has more value as a material than a fuel and that's been the case for decades.

Actually, some plastics are made from natural gas, like polyethylene. Some are even made from plants. Furthermore, most plastics can be made from alternate carbon sources, like coal. Only about 10% of petroleum is used to make plastics. The rest is used for fuels and lubricants.

The world still runs on oil and coal, though...

I don't know if you've noticed, but this is true to a lesser and lesser extent. Power is being supplied by nuclear power plants, by wind, by solar thermal and solar PV. Cars are moving to batteries and take their power from the grid. We are moving away from petroleum as an energy source. We still burn billions of gallons of the stuff, but that amount is shrinking and will continue to shrink.

The change over from petroleum to renewable, sustainable, low-to-no carbon energy sources helps the human race. Like most large changes, it's far far better to do it when you can than when you have to. And this is a global change. It needs to be addressed globally. Regional jingoism helps no one.

Sorry, but that claim simply isn't supportable. If switching costs more than continuing to use fossil fuels, then it doesn't benefit the human race. Alternative energy isn't cost effective, it isn't reliable and it isn't efficient.

huh?

Why are extraction industry, dupes so short-sighted? What does it gain them to maintain the status quo of relying upon a dirty, finite, dirty source of energy? :eusa_think:

huh?

Why are extraction industry, dupes so short-sighted? What does it gain them to maintain the status quo of relying upon a dirty, finite, dirty source of energy? :eusa_think:

We gain a cheap reliable efficient source of energy. We don't have to freeze in the dark, as we will if we adopt the idiocies you favor.

huh?

Because there are no other reliable, realistic energy sources to replace it.

The world still runs on oil and coal...and purposely hampering exploration and production of those resources in the u.s., hurts america and americans.

Forum List

Back