One More Missouri solution to gas prices

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Electric Car Alternative

blank

MEXICO - With record high gas prices continuing to rise, many are looking to other forms of transportation.

A Mexico automotive manufacturer has a solution to the problem: an electric car or an low speed vehicle (LSV). The Mexico-made Tomberlins and Club Cars have similar features of a traditional car.

"There's tremendous economy in driving an electric, zero-emission vehicle instead of a gasoline, fossil-fueled vehicle," said M&M Vehicle Corporation Owner Chris Miller.

The charge will put the car on the road for about 35 miles. And instead of gas, it needs a 110 amp circuit. And compared to the Columbia average of $3.79 a gallon, the electric cars cost about 40 cents in electricity to charge. For the same price as a gallon of gas, the LSV can travel 300 miles

The LSV is not approved for highway use and can only drive on roads with speeds of 35 mph or less.

"In this little town it's just very congested," said LSV shopper, Russ Henschel. "And it's just a good place to have a small car like this.You can just get around so much better."

The LSV's can cost anywhere from $6,000 to $11,000.

KOMU.com - Electric Car Alternative - Coverage You Can Count On

I swear.. I need to patent my ideas. I'd be a rich man given the articles i've posted this week ALONE.

Wouldn't help me, the main shopping areas are all about 6 to 8 miles away. If I had to shop and do anything else I would be worried I wouldn't get home.

The Doctor is the same distance as are all the important things I might find a need to do. This town is sprawled all over the place, as are MANY towns in the US.

Wow, 35 miles on one charge eh at 35 MPH, Yeah that might be great for city dwellers, at least.

thats exactly the purpose though. Who wants to take one on the highway where SUVs and diesels are doing 70+?

think about it.. it's a nice, sunny summer day... you need to pick up the kids, go shopping, whatever... instead of wasting gas AND perpetuating an oil market that is fucking you, youd have the option to take the lil putter... Not only do you save on gas, you help undermine the pusherman that is the oil industry. Fighting against chicken necked capitalists by undermining the value of their product via less demand.

Granted, i think their body styles could use some work.. But this is the second town in my state to offer an alternative to high gas prices. The Show Me state is making an effort.

Wouldn't help me, the main shopping areas are all about 6 to 8 miles away. If I had to shop and do anything else I would be worried I wouldn't get home.

The Doctor is the same distance as are all the important things I might find a need to do. This town is sprawled all over the place, as are MANY towns in the US.

Clearly, not a panacea for everyone.. But Mexico, Mo is a pretty rural town. While it may not help those who live out on state roads it would do wonders for those located in cite limits.

Hell, in my town you should see the battalion of motorized CHAIRS that handicapped people use to get around cruising down the road.

thats exactly the purpose though. Who wants to take one on the highway where SUVs and diesels are doing 70+?

think about it.. it's a nice, sunny summer day... you need to pick up the kids, go shopping, whatever... instead of wasting gas AND perpetuating an oil market that is fucking you, youd have the option to take the lil putter... Not only do you save on gas, you help undermine the pusherman that is the oil industry. Fighting against chicken necked capitalists by undermining the value of their product via less demand.

Granted, i think their body styles could use some work.. But this is the second town in my state to offer an alternative to high gas prices. The Show Me state is making an effort.

I was being serious, It seems like a good step, but we country folk still need something better :)

I like the idea, and I like your thinking about sticking it to the establishment. But 35 miles adds up pretty quickly. How much can you really get done in 35 miles? 100 miles per charge would be a lot more viable.

I like the idea, and I like your thinking about sticking it to the establishment. But 35 miles adds up pretty quickly. How much can you really get done in 35 miles? 100 miles per charge would be a lot more viable.

yeah, if they could make one that goes 100 miles, and say 65 MPH, now that would be something indeed.

I was being serious, It seems like a good step, but we country folk still need something better :)

You country folk can enjoy the lowered gas prices after the bottom falls out of the gas market.

:eusa_angel:

I'm not sure how many consumers will be willing to spend around $10,000 on a vehicle that won't be used all the time. It would have to be a second vehicle, and many consumers are lucky to even be able to own ONE.

I'd spend that much if I could go 55, and get 100 miles per charge. That would be my minumum requirement.

perhaps a growing market will provide for 55/100. Hell, this would make a good first vehicle for transportation for kids who are hellions on the road during their first years driving.

I don't imagine it would eliminate the need for a gas feuled car just yet.. But wide application would reduce the demand for oil here in the US and do more to improve gas prices, according to capitalists, than shoveling money to the oil industry in order to butt fuck the environment or kiss some Saudi ass.

the savings in gas prices would pretty much pay for these.

depending on what the maintenance on them is like...and i'm guessing it would be better than dinosaur blood power.

Chicken necked capitalists :lol:
How much petroleum is used to make one of these toys ?

It's a damn shame that we spent the last 60 years deliberately using government policy to push a sprawl model of development. Because if we had more compact towns, electric "city" cars would have grabbed a big share of the market, a long time ago.

And having a more compact town doesn't even mean that you have to give up your yard. You simply stack apartments and condos on top of retail, reduce parking lot sizes, and allow parking along roads. All houses are within 1/4 mile of the town core, with retail and schools and so forth. You won't need as much parking, because people don't bother getting in their car to travel 1/8 of a mile. Retail workers live in apartments and simply walk downstairs to get to work and shopping.

Sound familiar? It should, because it's the way cities were built for most of our history. Nowadays it's enjoying a resurgence, only they call it "new urbanism", even though it's not strictly new or urban.

Oh well. The newest plug-in hybrids will run 40 miles all-electric, and have a gasoline generator for longer trips. Most people just aren't willing to pay $10k+ for a minicar that goes 40 miles, not with gas under $10/gallon anyways. Especially when the government bans them from any road which has a speed limit over 25 mph. I think that's the real kicker. Any car allowed on 35 mph+ streets (which let's face it, is the vast majority of streets) has to pass safety tests. And that's a nightmare of red tape.

There's a way past the red tape though. Give your car three wheels instead of four. Now it's considered a motorcycle, lol. The chinese make a lot of electric 3 wheeled "motorcycles", and they will probably be pretty popular if we start seeing 70's style gas lines.

Forum List

Back