Big Government Is The Problem!

Orange_Juice

Jul 24, 2008
Or not enough of it, actually! Heck of a job Bushie! :eusa_clap:

By LARRY MARGASAK, Associated Press Writer
Fri Jul 25, 7:14 AM ET

WASHINGTON - One of the worst outbreaks of foodborne illness in the U.S. is teaching the food industry the truth of the adage, "Be careful what you wish for because you might get it."

The industry pressured the Bush administration years ago to limit the paperwork companies would have to keep to help U.S. health investigators quickly trace produce that sickens consumers, according to interviews and government reports reviewed by The Associated Press.

The White House also killed a plan to require the industry to maintain electronic tracking records that could be reviewed easily during a crisis to search for an outbreak's source. Companies complained the proposals were too burdensome and costly, and warned they could disrupt the availability of consumers' favorite foods.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080725...la_lobbying;_ylt=AusHVTrsj3TgE9q2nMUwAgqs0NUE

Now maybe they have learned that they should be responsible. It is not the government's role to make people responsible, nor should it be.

Now maybe they have learned that they should be responsible. It is not the government's role to make people responsible, nor should it be.

so true...time to open all the prisons up...better free all the murders :badgrin:

The fools in our last federal government tried this. They just about ruined our equestrian industry. We need more regulation, more inspection and enforcement. Just as well we threw the idiots out.

It isn't?

So we should eliminate all policing powers then, too?

Make people responsible for their actions and to hell with speed limit signs, all laws and so forth?

Or did you mean something more subtle than that, but are too lazy or too inarticlate to say what you really mean?

so true...time to open all the prisons up...better free all the murders :badgrin:

Oh... sorry hadn't read the above before I reponded above.

I see Doeton's mind and mine work in similar ways.

The road to hell is also paved with sweeping generalizations Stivex.

Oh... sorry hadn't read the above before I reponded above.

I see Doeton's mind and mine work in similar ways.

The road to hell is also paved with sweeping generalizations Stivex.

The road to hell is also littered with the naive. If it was such a good idea, than they should have continued WITHOUT THE NEED of government telling them to. That was my point.

This is one of the more naive beliefs of the anti government crowd. It goes something like this: people in a free market system will all be saints because I believe it. So there is no need for big bad government to regulate banks or savings and loans or food because people are not greedy but saintly and they would never cheat or rob or steal or do any bad things to make lots of money. If you believe that you can believe anything and thus they do: Trickle down is wonderful. Sending jobs overseas is wonderful. Importing crap from China is wonderful, plus it's cheap. The wonderful list goes on and on and on.....

I think we should always strive for a balance between Limiting government intrusions into our lives, and proper regulations and laws, to keep our society solvent and safe.

Via Yahoo:
WASHINGTON - One of the worst outbreaks of foodborne illness in the U.S. is teaching the food industry the truth of the adage, "Be careful what you wish for because you might get it."

ADVERTISEMENT's (have been removed to protcet the innocent!) :)

"Be careful what you wish for because you might get it."
Oh heck! We all know that DC is full of Animal Quackers - we voted for them - we got what we voted for :doubt:

BTW ... I like my Orange Juice cold and freshly squeezed. And .... I pray that you are not OJ Simpson in disguise - he is ALL that we need in here! :D

hey is the moniker related to that urban legend bout the guy who took too much - - -?

This is one of the more naive beliefs of the anti government crowd. It goes something like this: people in a free market system will all be saints because I believe it. So there is no need for big bad government to regulate banks or savings and loans or food because people are not greedy but saintly and they would never cheat or rob or steal or do any bad things to make lots of money. If you believe that you can believe anything and thus they do: Trickle down is wonderful. Sending jobs overseas is wonderful. Importing crap from China is wonderful, plus it's cheap. The wonderful list goes on and on and on.....

As usual you couldn't be more inaccurate if you wantd to be so maybe let's hear it from someone actually on that side.

The right, accept for the fringe maybe (just as the left has its fringe) isn't saying no government regulation and let the free market do whatever. We are oppossed to OVER government regulation which tends to artificially inflate the price of goods and services. You are afraid that everyone will get taken advantage of if there is no regulation despite the fact that there is no evidence to support that. This mortgage bail out is a perfect example of OVER regulation.

We were on top of an abnormally large housing bubble and what goes up, must come down. But now instead of letting the market correct itself and bring housing prices down to where they should be, the fed is gonna step in and prevent that from happening by bailing people out. Which in the long run, will become a tax burden and make homes more expensive then they would be if the market were allowed to correct on it's own. In a sense you have just shown people, don't worry about any mistakes you might make, we'll make sure you don't learn or have to deal with them, which, if I may be so bold, seems to be the lefts mantra. You really have to see the irony in a perspective that thinks it is so about the little guy and the under priviledged, yet when the stomp their feet about more government regulation they are making things more expensive for the little guy and underpriviledged.

Allow me to stereotype you now:

The left IMO, doesn't get the concept of freedom. In that you want all of the good and none of the bad. The bad being haveing to responsibly deal with the consequences of your actions, allowing people to be ignorant, allowing people to make poor choices, allowing people to make mistakes so they can learn from them. Part of learning is facing adversity. Jobs overseas? In case you haven't noticed, we have moved from being an indsutrial, to primarily service oriented economy. It so happens that now other countries have the competive advantage in blue collar manufacturing. Trying to be protectionist by engaging in practices to protect job, enact tariffs, etc stagnates us from becoming stronger because the left has attempted to legislate all adversity out of life which prevents us from truly haveing to rise up and meet challenges. Don't go off the deep end and think I'm saying we should allow people to be taken advantage or not help people that need it. All I am saying is that if you continually try to remove all challenges from society, you inherently make it weaker. You can't have it both ways. Freedom without consequences isn't freedom at all.

Last edited:
Libertarians are out there. They just have no idea how the world works at all

The world doesn't "work" a certain way. It just exists, and we inhabit it.

Your life is what you make it, and there's no reason why anyone should have the power to tell you that you can't make your life whatever you want it to be, so long as you are not doing it at the expense of someone else.

Yeah, I mean, that's so damn extreme. :rolleyes:

Via Yahoo:

ADVERTISEMENT

The industry pressured the Bush administration years ago to limit the paperwork companies would have to keep to help U.S. health investigators quickly trace produce that sickens consumers, according to interviews and government reports reviewed by The Associated Press.

The White House also killed a plan to require the industry to maintain electronic tracking records that could be reviewed easily during a crisis to search for an outbreak's source. Companies complained the proposals were too burdensome and costly, and warned they could disrupt the availability of consumers' favorite foods.

The apparent but unintended consequences of the lobbying success: a paper record-keeping system that has slowed investigators, with estimated business losses of $250 million. So far, nearly 1,300 people in 43 states, the District of Columbia and Canada have been sickened by salmonella since April.

Investigators initially focused on tomatoes as a culprit. Now they are turning attention to jalapeno peppers.

A former member of Bush's Cabinet and three former senior officials in the Food and Drug Administration told the AP that government food safety experts did not get the strong record-keeping and trace-back system originally proposed under a bioterrorism law to cope with a major foodborne illness.

"In retrospect, yes, if they (the regulations) had been broader and a bit more far-reaching, it could have helped with this," said Robert Brackett, senior vice president of the Grocery Manufacturers Association. "It wouldn't have hurt, for sure." Brackett formerly was a top safety official at the FDA.

OJ ...

When you post an article, post title of the article, the first two or three paragraphs of the article, followed by the link to the article in order to conform to copyright policy. That applies to all copyrighted material.

I cannot locate the article in yahoo. If you can, and forward a link to me via PM I will insert it in your post.

Thanks,

Gunny

EDIT: I found the post and inserted the link. You also left off the byline (author's name) which needs to be included.

The companies involved have every financial incentive to fix the problem without government intervention. Sensational stories about tainted produce are like anti-marketing to sellers.

An unintended consequence of passing heaping helpings of new regulations is, they limit competition. That's why the meat packers Upton Sinclair wrote his fictional book about actually wanted to be regulated. A food megacorp can easily hire an assistant for their quality control manager, to provide the reams of new documentation. A local farmer cannot. I wonder which one's product is better for you?

Forum List

Back