"One in five heterosexuals could be dead from AIDS by 1990"

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Toro, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,116
    Global warming is happening. Mankind is almost certainly contributing to it, though by how much is uncertain.

But are the effects catastrophic?

Maybe, I don't know. Nobody does. But the probabilities are low.

I do know that people get themselves worked up into a frenzy, including very well respected members of the scientific community, as we saw with the AIDS scare 20 years ago, which is reminiscent of the apocalyptic forecasts for global warming.

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/aids/chap5.htm

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,436
    Except that it took Act Up and other activist groups to get funding for treatment of the gay plague, didn't it? So, what happened? AIDS is predominantly a chronic long term illness now because we learned, at least in this country. Now it's ravaging other countries and the predominant victims of it are women.

Here we weren't allowed to close our eyes... or it would have been catastrophic, no?

And, FWIW, to gay people in the 80's and early 90's it WAS catastrophic and the numbers of people dying was horrific. Even money, ultimately didn't buy a reprieve then, and Malcolm Forbes died of AIDS in 1990. His wealth couldn't protect him. It wasn't hysteria or overstatement.

Perhaps a little "hysteria" is good to finally get people problem solving? And I wouldn't diminish or disparage it. Many of us know people who died of AIDS or who have been very sick.

3. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Billions have been spent since then on preventing the spread of AIDS...where that money hasn't been spent, in places such as Africa, as many as 1/3 of the population has AIDS.

We got freaked out by AIDS and did something about it...even with the billions that have been spent we still have some 35 million around the globe who are HIV+.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    We (Aus) absolutely love to wind each other up by telling ourselves that, "if it's in the States [whatever it is], it'll be here inside ten years!" It's like kids around a campfire telling ghost stories.

Although on this one it was right. I remember being in San Francisco in 1984 and on the bus there were tear-off tickets with AIDS information on them. I took a couple, sort of a sardonic souvenir. But a year or so before our media, or some sections of it, carried stories about Karposi's Sarcoma and how it was being seen in individuals in the gay community in Sydney.

But we did things like clean needle exchanges and that has helped keep it minimised.