One grocery store in town

I've always lived in cities and so I can't relate to the OP about stores. However, concerning the confinement of politics I've always contrasted it with the difference between life of my childhood compared to today. As a kid we only had only three television channels. UHF then came on the scene about the time I was in high school and then cable became popular after college. Same way with magazines, when I was a kid households either subscribed to Life or Look, Time or Newsweek, and of course there was TV Guide. Now I look at all the choices opened up to the public in everything but politics. I feel it doesn't make sense.

And Readers Digest. Readers Digest used to be in every bathroom of the country!

I've always lived in cities and so I can't relate to the OP about stores. However, concerning the confinement of politics I've always contrasted it with the difference between life of my childhood compared to today. As a kid we only had only three television channels. UHF then came on the scene about the time I was in high school and then cable became popular after college. Same way with magazines, when I was a kid households either subscribed to Life or Look, Time or Newsweek, and of course there was TV Guide. Now I look at all the choices opened up to the public in everything but politics. I feel it doesn't make sense.

And Readers Digest. Readers Digest used to be in every bathroom of the country!

OMG, I have it in mine. I think it's the issue from last June, still have some catching up to do.

Our little town is much like the politics congress and many areas throughout the country today we have one grocery store here in this town. Every time I shop there I get more agitated as I walk through the isles. The grocery store is phasing out most other brands for quite a few years now and replacing everything they can with store brand items. More recently though they are putting almost all items on shelves with their brand name. The cereal isle is the worse and today was even worse than usual as what few name brands are left in the store were placed on the top shelf hard to reach places. In the past I bought items that were labeled with the store name. The quality of their store brand items I bought were awful so I don't get anymore items with their name on them. Instead I buy only what I can't do without until I can drive to a town with stores with more choices.

Politics are the same way today the choices are being limited to a very few brand name items that are being pushed at the public at an alarming rate. People are being led by a few who want all the political leaders to have their brand on them even if the quality of their leadership is inferior it will be the only choice left after a season or two.
I want to ask you small town conservatives. Where do your kids go after they graduate college? Chances are they can't find work in your town am I correct?
I don't know, he could live in Detroit. A very liberal city.
There are lots of jobs in Detroit.

Detroit is a very big place. Still some very bad neighborhoods. But this idea that Detroit is bankrupt is a joke. Have you seen Detroit lately? Dan Gilbert and the mayor of Detroit have done wonders. I didn't even realize till I drove through and went to a couple popular spots like Belle isle and campus martius.

You Hicks would be amazed how prosperous white metro Detroit is. We're usually more liberal than you guys too but lots of folk like you here too

Our little town is much like the politics congress and many areas throughout the country today we have one grocery store here in this town. Every time I shop there I get more agitated as I walk through the isles. The grocery store is phasing out most other brands for quite a few years now and replacing everything they can with store brand items. More recently though they are putting almost all items on shelves with their brand name. The cereal isle is the worse and today was even worse than usual as what few name brands are left in the store were placed on the top shelf hard to reach places. In the past I bought items that were labeled with the store name. The quality of their store brand items I bought were awful so I don't get anymore items with their name on them. Instead I buy only what I can't do without until I can drive to a town with stores with more choices.

Politics are the same way today the choices are being limited to a very few brand name items that are being pushed at the public at an alarming rate. People are being led by a few who want all the political leaders to have their brand on them even if the quality of their leadership is inferior it will be the only choice left after a season or two.
I want to ask you small town conservatives. Where do your kids go after they graduate college? Chances are they can't find work in your town am I correct?

Detroit is a very big place. Still some very bad neighborhoods. But this idea that Detroit is bankrupt is a joke. Have you seen Detroit lately? Dan Gilbert and the mayor of Detroit have done wonders. I didn't even realize till I drove through and went to a couple popular spots like Belle isle and campus martius.

You Hicks would be amazed how prosperous white metro Detroit is. We're usually more liberal than you guys too but lots of folk like you here too
Yes you can pretty much get a free house there. A liberal wonderland.

Amazon delivers almost anything you can get at a supermarket

I like the touchy feely experience of seeing what I am buying.

I like the touchy feely experience of seeing what I am buying.
if you're buying a box of cereal why do you need to pick it off of a shelf?
Paper towels? need to touch them really?

a box of pasta or a jar of jelly? what does touching them have to do with anything if you know what you are getting?

This is nothing new. We've had a 2 party system for ages. Always, essentially. Limited choices.

This is nothing new. We've had a 2 party system for ages. Always, essentially. Limited choices.
No two parties when they all are coming out of the same political mold.

hmmm about 40k in my town. I think a lot of the kids get jobs at the shops and restaurants for a period, but if they are looking for career jobs they go 30mins south to Anchorage (which is idk 300k) or 30mins north to Wasilla/Palmer (I honestly have no idea heh) Even if the kids wanted to stay out here its usually to cost prohibitive, this is a wealthy area and there's maybe 3 studio apartments for rent right now I think they were around a grand. They could find cheaper places 5-10 minutes further north, but if they're commuting to Anchorage or Wasilla/Palmer it's typically too much gas when there's cheaper places to rent in the bigger cities.

A lot of younger people come back as soon as they can afford a house and the commute. I think it's kind of a progression here, you go to the city and work for a while, buy a house back home.

Yes you can pretty much get a free house there. A liberal wonderland.
That was 8 years ago idiot. And like I said it's a big place. There are some pretty bad neighborhoods in Detroit but the days of them giving away homes is over. At least downtown.

The choices always were limited. That s wasn't really bad as th insane wings of both parties used to keep the crazy ones in the closet where they belong. Now, you have seen a he first batch of retards cut loose around Clinton, then the "compassionate conservative, basically a ton th talking republican in name only who presided over one of the biggest seazures of personal freedoms in this countries history's, to the half black community organizer who made it possible for NOT HILLARY to get in. Always been how you described, your just finally getting pissed about it is all.

The choices always were limited. That s wasn't really bad as th insane wings of both parties used to keep the crazy ones in the closet where they belong. Now, you have seen a he first batch of retards cut loose around Clinton, then the "compassionate conservative, basically a ton th talking republican in name only who presided over one of the biggest seazures of personal freedoms in this countries history's, to the half black community organizer who made it possible for NOT HILLARY to get in. Always been how you described, your just finally getting pissed about it is all.
Actually just more time on my hands to watch them closer. I was pissed about them forty plus years ago and was not silent about the political thugs back then.

Actually just more time on my hands to watch them closer. I was pissed about them forty plus years ago and was not silent about the political thugs back then.

Ah, a radical racist flat earther? We all been there. Don't help the cardboard cherios though. Are you at least stuck with a major store brand or is it that food Or is it the store brand stuff piggly wiggly stuff?

It depends

some stay

some work in the area

some move away

out here many of us travel to work

in my small town

we have a electric company

a cabinet making shop

a hospital with several other units

large vet service

a cable company

two electrical shops

several mechanical shops

just to name a few

all of which hire folks

It depends

some stay

some work in the area

some move away

in my small town

a cabinet making shop

large vet service

a cable company

two electrical shops

several mechanical shops

just to name a few

all of which hire folks

How much do those people make? Not much.

It depends

some stay

some work in the area

some move away

in my small town

a cabinet making shop

large vet service

a cable company

two electrical shops

several mechanical shops

just to name a few

all of which hire folks

I own a compound with a 3000+ sqft 2-story, an 1850 sqft 1-story, a 700 sqrt eficiency, a 3 bed 2 bath mobile, a 1300 sqft wood house I use for my business and a shop with a bay on a 2.88 acre corner lot on a highway. Purchase price was $435K. The mortgage (including insurance, taxes and escrow) on the $200K we financed is $1450 per month. One adult at 50K per year plus one making $25K per year more than covers it with no struggle.

It depends

some stay

some work in the area

some move away

in my small town

a cabinet making shop

large vet service

a cable company

two electrical shops

several mechanical shops

just to name a few

all of which hire folks

I own a compound with a 3000+ sqft 2-story, an 1850 sqft 1-story, a 700 sqrt eficiency, a 3 bed 2 bath mobile, a 1300 sqft wood house I use for my business and a shop with a bay on a 2.88 acre corner lot on a highway. Purchase price was $435K. The mortgage (including insurance, taxes and escrow) on the $200K we financed is $1450 per month. One adult at 50K per year plus one making $25K per year more than covers it with no struggle.
can't do that in the big city.

How much is your Obamacare?

It depends

some stay

some work in the area

some move away

in my small town

a cabinet making shop

large vet service

a cable company

two electrical shops

several mechanical shops

just to name a few

all of which hire folks

can't do that in the big city.

How much is your Obamacare?

I don't qualify for subsidy, so I am $415 per month for silver for the two of us. Deductible will never be met, barring catastrophe, so, even insured, we pay out of pocket for most health services.

Last occurance was tooth extraction by oral surgeon in prep for graph/implant. $428 cash out of pocket.

It depends

some stay

some work in the area

some move away

in my small town

a cabinet making shop

large vet service

a cable company

two electrical shops

several mechanical shops

just to name a few

all of which hire folks

they make all sorts of wages and benefits too

your prejudice is showing again

Forum List

Back