Once again I'm Delighted By Firefox

Tom Horn

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2015
NEARBY
My trusty XP box started picking up script warning on this site from "skim resources" which I guess USMB uses to track us. Even though I cleared out the cookies after a session here, it kept happening more frequently at other sites and finally in my Outlook email. So I went to Firefox solutions and picked up their java script-blocker tool. You can black-page this and other sites that are tracking you with it. But that only worked temporarily. After scrubbing my OS with all my security tools, I knew there was a problem somewhere in the browser itself. So I investigated further and found the solution.

I went back into FF solutions and found this: type "about:config" into the address bar, promise that you'll be careful (seriously), scroll down to find the "dom_max__script_run" entry and push reset. If the reset button is grayed out, go back to the top, type that entry into the integer value box, and change the default "10" to a "0" and click okay.

I still had my FF hang but at least I wasn't getting the script warnings. So I investigate further and LO AND BEHOLD there is a way to have FF fix your problems without you doing anything more than this:

Go to menu, then "options", I don't recall what tabs to the left I clicked but I finally found "data choices", clicked on it and then put a checkmark beside the "share additional data" box. I checked out, rebooted, and everything is fixed. After years of suffering through IE, once again I'm impressed and delighted how well thought out and helpful Mozilla has made their browser.
eusa_angel.gif

• Banned
XP... IE... ghosts from the distant past...

That's what MS wants you to believe but I haven't had any problems with my old pal after I got away from IE. I increased my memory, run my AV through Centurylink, and have other safeguards I won't discuss in an open forum. If you turn off Dell desktops at night while you sleep, they'll last for 10-12 years. I never access my financials online either. All a hacker would get from me are pics of classic cars, motorcycles, guns, and sports articles...not worth their time.

If you are running XP x64, you are encountering a problem with the browser choice. Chrome is no longer compatible, MS has outlawed XP when it comes to browsers and only the Firefox will work. You cannot even install Firefox x64, because it requires Windows 7. So if you like to use a browser based on Blink, you can only use Chrome up to version 49 on XP. On top, in order to load https sites, Chrome requires Service Pack 3 for unknown reasons. XP x64, however, bases on Windows Server 2003 and not on XP. Thus, XP x64 has a different line of Service Packs and other updates and it goes up to Service Pack 2. That means you cannot open https sites with Chrome on XP x64 because Chrome cannot find Service Pack 3 for obvious reasons.
The only solution is to install Opera 36 which bases on Chrome 49. Opera is involved in the continued development of Blink. Most offers only offer the respective latest version of a software but here you can still get it:
Download Opera 36 36.0.2130.65 Opera 36 Web browser is most... - TodaySoftware

Of course, XP x64 supports more than 4 GB of RAM.
kvdggkbg.jpg

• Banned
If you are running XP x64, you are encountering a problem with the browser choice. Chrome is no longer compatible, MS has outlawed XP when it comes to browsers and only the Firefox will work. You cannot even install Firefox x64, because it requires Windows 7. So if you like to use a browser based on Blink, you can only use Chrome up to version 49 on XP. On top, in order to load https sites, Chrome requires Service Pack 3 for unknown reasons. XP x64, however, bases on Windows Server 2003 and not on XP. Thus, XP x64 has a different line of Service Packs and other updates and it goes up to Service Pack 2. That means you cannot open https sites with Chrome on XP x64 because Chrome cannot find Service Pack 3 for obvious reasons.
The only solution is to install Opera 36 which bases on Chrome 49. Opera is involved in the continued development of Blink. Most offers only offer the respective latest version of a software but here you can still get it:
Download Opera 36 36.0.2130.65 Opera 36 Web browser is most... - TodaySoftware

Of course, XP x64 supports more than 4 GB of RAM.
kvdggkbg.jpg

XPx32, SP3, Firefox 48.0.2 working fine as wine....Thanks for your input but until I need something else or the XP box shorts out, I'll stick with good ol Mo.

Forum List

Back