On Reinstating The Draft

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Much has been made by the new administration of the idea of national service and volunteerism. While service to one’s community is certainly admirable, it is not the federal government’s place to “encourage” or promote volunteerism. Moreover, there are troubling signs that national service could transition from voluntary to mandatory, or de facto mandatory, such as the requirement of service in order to be granted a diploma, or something along those lines.

Involuntary servitude was supposed to be abolished by the 13th Amendment, but things like Selective Service and the income tax make me wonder how serious we really are in defending just basic freedom. The income tax enslaves workers for nearly 4 months out of a year by garnishing what amounts to all their wages in that period of time. A military draft could demand your very life, without your consent. This should be unthinkable in a free society.

Congressman Ron Paul - On Reinstating the Draft - Texas Straight Talk

I think Ron Paul is exactly right! We don't need a draft and don't have the rights to reinstate one. I hope people think about this before they would ever let something like this through...

don't have the right?!?!?!

you people haven't a clue.

every government has the right to gather an army. and if people are paid, it's not slavery. paul is a wacko.

Seems to me the is a difference between the right to raise and Army, and the right to force people to serve against their will. A professional Army is the best Army. We should always strive to not have to use conscription.

I think Obama will reinstate the draft if Pakistan erupts the way I think it could

every government has the right to gather an army. and if people are paid, it's not slavery. paul is a wacko.

:lol:

By gather you mean force people to join or face jail time if not worse?

I agree with Charles, a volunteer Professional army is the best army.

Slavery - work done under harsh conditions for little or no pay. Never mind many people would be FORCED into doing this.

So yes, by definition it is slavery.

Slavery - work done under harsh conditions for little or no pay. Never mind many people would be FORCED into doing this.

they weren't discussing what was "best". They were purporting to assert what was legal.

I personally think there should ONLY be a volunteer army for many reasons.

But that wasn't the conversation.

slavery...work for no pay, with no time limit.

there has never been a government in history that didn't reserve the right to draft people.

they weren't discussing what was "best". They were purporting to assert what was legal.

there has never been a government in history that didn't reserve the right to draft people.

I agree it is not slavery, but it is certainly a form of indentured servitude. The pay sucks, and you can't quit. :)

I was referring to what is the best type of army in Charles's comment.

You have the wrong definition of Slavery and have confused it with the way we treated African Americans for hundreds of years. The way we did Slavery in America was unique.

then people should lighten up on the hyperbole.

is it indentured servitude? maybe it is. but again, it is a right that governments have always retained.

but as i said, i'm a proponent of a volunteer army for a lot of reasons.

I agree it is not slavery, but it is certainly a form of indentured servitude. The pay sucks, and you can't quit. :)

Indentured servitude is a synonym for Slavery. And you can certainly quit the military, you'll just most likely be shot on the way out. :eusa_whistle:

Not every government is the same. Our government has no right to draft us, it totally goes against everything a free society is. Saying the government has a right to dispose of your life at will.

We should never have a draft, we have no foreign threats, the only threat we have is terrorism but this was caused by a severely flawed foreign policy. It's amazing how we're build up to want to go to war with a country compared to us, spends only 1% on their national defense that we do and to put it into perspective they don't even refine their own gasoline!

If anyone dared marched to our shores I would be one of millions to fight for "our land," but to ship us out over seas to fight "monsters," is a different story. Our founders warned of this.

then people should lighten up on the hyperbole.

is it indentured servitude? maybe it is. but again, it is a right that governments have always retained.

but as i said, i'm a proponent of a volunteer army for a lot of reasons.

don't companies have the same right .....to gather a work force an pay them.....yet for some reason unions are required......can't wait for unions to enter negotiations with the military...

Indentured servitude is a synonym for Slavery. And you can certainly quit the military, you'll just most likely be shot on the way out. :eusa_whistle:

no, it isn't. indentured servitude is paying a debt with one's labor over a certain period of time, agreed to by both parties.

If I don't want the pay they're offering to serve in the army am I then free to choose not to participate? No. Therefore we have a case of slavery.

no, it isn't. indentured servitude is paying a debt with one's labor over a certain period of time, agreed to by both parties.

Well, I suppose three different online dictionary websites better fix their pages then. :eusa_whistle:

I do realize what Indentured servants are though. Just about half of all white immigrants to the English colonies of North America during the 17th and 18th were Indentured servants.

Well, I suppose three different online dictionary websites better fix their pages then. :eusa_whistle:

I do realize what Indentured servants are though. Just about half of all white immigrants to the English colonies of North America during the 17th and 18th were Indentured servants.

yeah, i guess they'd better.

and how many of those indentured servants were kept in durance vile after fulfilling their contractual obligation?

yeah, i guess they'd better.

and how many of those indentured servants were kept in durance vile after fulfilling their contractual obligation?

I'd hope none, probably some though.

Forum List

Back