On Medicare For All From A Ford Retiree

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
When I first hired in, all medical care was completely paid for by Ford. Within a couple of years that changed. First came a small medical insurance monthly premium. Ford said we needed to ‘have some skin in the game’ and that it was only fair that we contribute a portion of the costs. Shortly after came the deductibles, co-pays, annual max out-of-pocket costs, coinsurance, the out-of-network gotchas, etc, etc. By the time I retired, the total annual cost for me and my wife, including premiums and assuming one reaches the max out-of-pocket cost came to about $7,500. Being in our 60’s when people are more likely to need medical care, we spent that whole amount last year.

On Medicare For All From a Ford Retiree

This is as innocuous a post as there is on one of the most important issues of the day for millions of Americans. So the moderators will still find something wrong with it. Totally not partisan of course. So you may want to read and comment as fast as you can.

When I first hired in, all medical care was completely paid for by Ford. Within a couple of years that changed. First came a small medical insurance monthly premium. Ford said we needed to ‘have some skin in the game’ and that it was only fair that we contribute a portion of the costs. Shortly after came the deductibles, co-pays, annual max out-of-pocket costs, coinsurance, the out-of-network gotchas, etc, etc. By the time I retired, the total annual cost for me and my wife, including premiums and assuming one reaches the max out-of-pocket cost came to about $7,500. Being in our 60’s when people are more likely to need medical care, we spent that whole amount last year.

On Medicare For All From a Ford Retiree

This is as innocuous a post as there is on one of the most important issues of the day for millions of Americans. So the moderators will still find something wrong with it. Totally not partisan of course. So you may want to read and comment as fast as you can.

Only $7500 for everything? I'll take that in a heartbeat. I had the misfortune of being laid off in 2016 and had to take COBRA. It was over a year before I was offered health insurance again. Total costs for the year, including premiums came to just under $30,000. The last two years, the average has been about $16,000 out of pocket (including premiums). And I'm guessing Ford offers pretty good health plans.

Is Medicare-for-All the answer? I don't know..mostly because Republicans and Conservatives don't want to discuss it. Or they just keep pitching the same tired ideas year after year. So we're left listening to Liberals and Progressives who range anywhere from "fix the ACA" to "MFA". The ACA was passed and Republicans spent the next 9 years with their fake repeal votes and taking every opportunity to undercut it...all the while never offering a plan of their own. The result??..an even bigger mess than we had prior to 2009. Mighty courageous of them. The funny part about it is, the more they try to undercut the ACA (which enjoys great popularity now), the closer they push the country so that Medicare-for-All will be the only answer.

Forum List

Back