Olympics drops wrestling

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics | OlympicTalk

What a clueless decision. The Olympics just doesn't get it

They flood the games with sports nobody has heard of or cares about like Syncronized Swimming, Rythmic gymnastics and Team Handball and drop Wrestling which has been an Olympic sport since the ancient Greeks

To a wrestler, an Olympic medal is the highlight of your career. It is what you train for, it is the highest possible honor in your sport

Instead, the Olympics brings in sports like Tennis and Soccer and Basketball where pros show up every four years to win a medal they don't give a shit about

They flood the games with sports nobody has heard of or cares about like Syncronized Swimming, Rythmic gymnastics and Team Handball and drop Wrestling which has been an Olympic sport since the ancient Greeks

To a wrestler, an Olympic medal is the highlight of your career. It is what you train for, it is the highest possible honor in your sport

Instead, the Olympics brings in sports like Tennis and Soccer and Basketball where pros show up every four years to win a medal they don't give a shit about

Aren't you a "progressive?"

?

That's the beauty of sports. Sports are pretty much apolitical.

"rightwinger" and "Truthmatters" and I disagree on almost everything in the political arena, but we have a lot of common ground in the sports world.

Last edited:

?

:cool: It was a dry joke. My point was that this is "progress" and you're making quite a conservative argument.

I suppose it hasn't occured to any of you that the Olympics ceased being about sport and the heritage of sport some time ago. The article linked in RW's OP clearly states that the decision - though yet to be finalised - was made on the strength of television ratings and ticket sales. It really wouldn't surprise me in the least if archery and the discus were dropped after Rio.

I suppose it hasn't occured to any of you that the Olympics ceased being about sport and the heritage of sport some time ago. The article linked in RW's OP clearly states that the decision - though yet to be finalised - was made on the strength of television ratings and ticket sales. It really wouldn't surprise me in the least if archery and the discus were dropped after Rio.

Maybe they need to substitute Professional Wrestling then

All joking aside, I wonder how much the deliberate sexualisation of women's volleyball has contributed to the decline of wrestling?

We've all seen it. The media has has made a concerted effort to transform the sport into cheap voyeurism, and seems to suggest through its leering coverage that any male that hasn't jumped on the volleyball bandwagon is gay. Has the threat of being labelled a homosexual forced attention away from the ancient sport of Greco-Roman wrestling? I think to a certain extent it has. Don't get me wrong. I can't condemn anyone for perving over the female volleyball teams. My wife's caught me doing it. But is this sexualisation diverting our attention away from one of the Olympics' real attractions: a celebration of an ancient event.

Forum List

Back