Olympics are crap--about to get crappier

Always amazes me the time people waste posting about things they claim they don't care about.

As far as the topic of the posts go, the Olympics are faltering. The public cares more about team events than it used to. The Olympics are still "stuck" on the individual sports. I don't know if it's still the case or not but I remember hearing once that Ice Hockey was the only team sport in the Winter Olympics. You see the expansion of the NFL, the NBA, the expansion of the EPL, rise of soccer in the US. The Olympics are still very heavy with individualized sports such as Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Track and Field, Swimming, etc... There are team events but by "team" I mean multiple athletes on the field taking part at one time...forwards, centers, defensemen, etc... Not just a track and field 4X100M team.

There aren't any easy solutions to the issue from a commercial standpoint. Expanding the roster of "sports" is likely not the answer if you're still talking about the Olympics as being a sports festival. The only obvious solution is to re-brand it as a recreational festival instead. And in the early days of the modern Olympics--the organizers did have an entire arts component that went by the wayside. That ended in 1948. The feeling back then was to have it be a cultural event as opposed to just a sporting one.

It looks as though it may be getting back toward that in some way.

One thing they should do, in my view, is shift sports from the Summer to the Winter games.

Summer Olympics:
1607435480344.png

Winter Olympics:
1607435576978.png

You probably don't want to do yatching or beach volleyball in the winter but certainly the boxing, fencing, and wrestling, judo, taekwondo events could be shifted to the winter. As could basketball.

Something else they should do is do what the NFL used to do with the Super Bowl. Have it rotate between three cities and a fourth to be named later. The Olympics should be held in a few cities only...cities that don't have to break the budget to host it and more importantly, can host it. I'm sure Lake Placid was great but hundreds of thouands of people coming to upstate New York strains the infrastructure. That some hundred thousand going to Denver...not so much.

Anyway, good to see the Olympics being discussed. I say expand the roster as much as you want. You want to put poker in the Olympics? Do it. But you've got much bigger problems than that IOC.

Adults on skateboards look ridiculous
The Olympics mainly celebrate sports that no one gives a shit about. None of us would pay to see people cross country ski and shoot at targets.

Why isn’t there a pro bobsled league? Because no one cares.

And then the olympics got rid of wrestling? Something people actually are interested in. It’s crazy.

I do like to see who the fastest 100 yard dash person is though.

I probably like 10% of the olymp
The core Olympic sports are...
Track and Field, Swimming, Boxing, Wrestling, Gymnastics...
Anything else is fluff

There should be no team sports in the Olympics
Basketball, Soccer, Hockey....All have there own championships

The Olympics dropped wrestling and kept curling

need I say more
I didn't know they dropped wrestling. That's an original sport. If it keeps up they will lose more viewers then they gain. It will be entertainment and not sport.

Some idiot tried to make it so, but his ass got canned and wrestling WILL be in the next Olympics in 2021.

I didn't hear they were bringing it back. I just remember them dropping it after 2016

Always amazes me the time people waste posting about things they claim they don't care about.

As far as the topic of the posts go, the Olympics are faltering. The public cares more about team events than it used to. The Olympics are still "stuck" on the individual sports. I don't know if it's still the case or not but I remember hearing once that Ice Hockey was the only team sport in the Winter Olympics. You see the expansion of the NFL, the NBA, the expansion of the EPL, rise of soccer in the US. The Olympics are still very heavy with individualized sports such as Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Track and Field, Swimming, etc... There are team events but by "team" I mean multiple athletes on the field taking part at one time...forwards, centers, defensemen, etc... Not just a track and field 4X100M team.

There aren't any easy solutions to the issue from a commercial standpoint. Expanding the roster of "sports" is likely not the answer if you're still talking about the Olympics as being a sports festival. The only obvious solution is to re-brand it as a recreational festival instead. And in the early days of the modern Olympics--the organizers did have an entire arts component that went by the wayside. That ended in 1948. The feeling back then was to have it be a cultural event as opposed to just a sporting one.

It looks as though it may be getting back toward that in some way.

One thing they should do, in my view, is shift sports from the Summer to the Winter games.

Summer Olympics:
View attachment 426528

Winter Olympics:
View attachment 426529

You probably don't want to do yatching or beach volleyball in the winter but certainly the boxing, fencing, and wrestling, judo, taekwondo events could be shifted to the winter. As could basketball.

Something else they should do is do what the NFL used to do with the Super Bowl. Have it rotate between three cities and a fourth to be named later. The Olympics should be held in a few cities only...cities that don't have to break the budget to host it and more importantly, can host it. I'm sure Lake Placid was great but hundreds of thouands of people coming to upstate New York strains the infrastructure. That some hundred thousand going to Denver...not so much.

Anyway, good to see the Olympics being discussed. I say expand the roster as much as you want. You want to put poker in the Olympics? Do it. But you've got much bigger problems than that IOC.
Agree

Billions of dollars have been wasted on Olympic infrastructure that is abandoned once the games are over.

They should have set locations that host non major events every four years. Events held in Olympic style stadiums can be rotated.

The Olympics mainly celebrate sports that no one gives a shit about. None of us would pay to see people cross country ski and shoot at targets.

And then the olympics got rid of wrestling? Something people actually are interested in. It’s crazy.

Anything else is fluff

And can you believe they took wrestling out? Insane.

I wish the olympics were all the greatest athletes assembled every 4 years. Who’s the greatest karate person in the world? Who can bench, squat, clean and jerk and deadlift the most? Who’s the fastest? Who’s the best gymnast? Figure skater.

whats that show where contestants run through that obstacle? That would be a great olympic event. American gladiators? Only have people from all over the world compete.

Anything else is fluff

good call

..that's kind of easy to judge the winner, isn't it?

Win by fall, technical fall, or who has the most points at the end.
would you say it's easier to judge than figure skating?

I know next to nothing about figure skating.

The Olympics dropped wrestling and kept curling

need I say more
I didn't know they dropped wrestling. That's an original sport. If it keeps up they will lose more viewers then they gain. It will be entertainment and not sport.

Yes, you have hit the nail on the head.

Today everything is entertainment.

The Olympics are losing their allure, so it's time to attract young people with something as absurd as breakdancing and, no doubt, very soon it will be rap music, too.

The news media are in the entertainment business, too, so that's why they're not ashamed of "reporting" rumors, gossip, and outright lies. And plenty of graphics.

...the other thing is foreigners can play for other countries!!!!!!! =bullshit
...because they can't make their countries' teams!!!

Not necessarily.

During the 1980 olympics, a number of western athletes had to as their own nations were boycotting the Moscow games.

The Olympics should adopt the Professional rules in regards to wrestling. Makes the sport a lot more interesting.

I watched a high school wrestling meet a number of years ago, the one boy left him self open for an RKO, but my nephew told me it wasn't allowed in High School.

The Olympics should adopt the Professional rules in regards to wrestling. Makes the sport a lot more interesting.

I watched a high school wrestling meet a number of years ago, the one boy left him self open for an RKO, but my nephew told me it wasn't allowed in High School.

:rolleyes:
You can leave now.

Forum List

Back