Old TV Programs

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I ran across the word, "paladin" the other day and it started a stream of memories. When Have Gun - Will Travel came on TV I was 8 or 9 years old, and we watched it every week for it's 6 year run. Half hour show. I thought "Wire" was the character's first name.

Of course, I looked through YouTube and have watched several episodes.

The write-ups say that the creators wanted to combine a Private Detective show with a Western - both were popular at the time - and HG-WT came out of that scenario. It turns out that "Paladin" was NOT the character's name, but rather how he wanted to be thought of. A "paladin" is an extraordinarily brave and chivalrous knight - hence the knight chess piece on his card and holster. His name was NEVER disclosed during the entire run of the TV show (which also uniquely spawned a radio program).

The character was a Civil War vet - an officer but I don't think his highest rank was revealed, and also an expert in martial arts, a gourmet, a student of the Fine Arts (often quoting great literature), an expert at Chess, and of course an expert marksman with a pistol and a quick-draw.

The shows are limited significantly by the half-hour format, but otherwise they are still entertaining, and I have no doubt that a similar Western would be popular today.

I ran across the word, "paladin" the other day and it started a stream of memories. When Have Gun - Will Travel came on TV I was 8 or 9 years old, and we watched it every week for it's 6 year run. Half hour show. I thought "Wire" was the character's first name.

The write-ups say that the creators wanted to combine a Private Detective show with a Western - both were popular at the time - and HG-WT came out of that scenario. It turns out that "Paladin" was NOT the character's name, but rather how he wanted to be thought of. A "paladin" is an extraordinarily brave and chivalrous knight - hence the knight chess piece on his card and holster. His name was NEVER disclosed during the entire run of the TV show (which also uniquely spawned a radio program).

The character was a Civil War vet - an officer but I don't think his highest rank was revealed, and also an expert in martial arts, a gourmet, a student of the Fine Arts (often quoting great literature), an expert at Chess, and of course an expert marksman with a pistol and a quick-draw.

The shows are limited significantly by the half-hour format, but otherwise they are still entertaining, and I have no doubt that a similar Western would be popular today.
Yea, so what?

Also, Kung Fu.

The program was WRITTEN FOR Bruce Lee, who personally introduced Kung Fu to the U.S. in his California martial arts schools ("dojo's"?)

But the "money people" didn't think the American audience could accept Bruce Lee's Chinese accent, so the half-breed Carradine was cast in Lee's place. I thought Carradine pulled it off fairly well, but he was obviously an out-of-shape clown, not an athlete of Bruce Lee's caliber.

People could be shot for less than that casting decision today.

Have Gun - Will Travel was a great show. The details were well crafted.

I watched Gunsmoke every Sunday night. The Rifleman was another favorite. I loved those old westerns.

Palidan----- James bond in a cowboy hat.

Also, Kung Fu.

The program was WRITTEN FOR Bruce Lee, who personally introduced Kung Fu to the U.S. in his California martial arts schools ("dojo's"?)

But the "money people" didn't think the American audience could accept Bruce Lee's Chinese accent

That's the most interesting development, since Lee had played Kato on the old "The Green Hornet" series, and was easily the most popular character.

Later on, Lee, James Coburn and Sterling Siliphant developed a script for a martial arts film called "Circle of Iron", in which Lee was to play The Blind Man. Lee died before production began, and ironically Carradine again stepped into Lee's role.

Also, Kung Fu.

But the "money people" didn't think the American audience could accept Bruce Lee's Chinese accent, so the half-breed Carradine was cast in Lee's place. I thought Carradine pulled it off fairly well, but he was obviously an out-of-shape clown, not an athlete of Bruce Lee's caliber.

People could be shot for less than that casting decision today.

I loved that show and I don't care what anyone says.

Palidan----- James bond in a cowboy hat.

James Bond in a cowboy hat was Jim West...

08xp-conrad-image4-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Sky King, Twelve O'Clock High, Perry Mason, Maverick. After bed time, I'd sit on the stair landing in my jamies and watch whatever was on in the living room.

i did a little teaching for a private company and my business cards said

have gums
will babble

One Step Beyond and that absolute favorite of parents everywhere (they had it cancelled :auiqs.jpg:)-

Rould Dahl's "'Way Out"

Why did they have it cancelled? I have never heard of either.

Why did they have it cancelled? I have never heard of either.

While 'Way Out" was a ripoff of its contemporary "The Twilight Zone", it had its own twisted bent that parents found ... uncomfortable. Kids latched onto it, of course, as kids in any time enjoy weirdness.

"One Step Beyond" was mostly lightweight science fiction.

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching Gilligan's Island as a kid because I didn't know any better. It WAS a fun show for a youngster to watch. I had my first crush on Ginger (Tina Louise). I WAS only 7 or 8 years old at the time. My parents told me that I really liked watching Zorro when I was even younger. I vaguely remember watching it when I was about 5 or 6 years old.

The Wonderful World of Disney and Bonanza were among my favorites, as was Gunsmoke. Wagon Train? Can't remember much other than Ward Bond yelling, "Wagons, HO!"

Forum List

Back