Okay For Me, But Not Thee

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Chicago Way, yes, there are links:

TaxProf Blog: Chicago Property Taxes Increase 9.6%; Obama's Property Tax Increases 1.0%

November 1, 2009

Chicago Property Taxes Increase 9.6%; Obama's Property Tax Increases 1.0%

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that property taxes in Chicago have increased an average of 9.6% this year. The property taxes on President Obama's home at 5046 South Greenwood Avenue increased 1.0%. Other Chicago politicians with below average property tax increases include:

Alexi Giannoulias (Illinois Treasurer): 1.0%
Richard Daley (Chicago Mayor): 3.5%
Rahm Emanuel (President Obama's Chief of Staff): 3.7%
Lisa Madigan (Illinois Attorney General): 4.4%
Dan Hynes (Illinois Comptroller): 4.9%​
November 1, 2009 in Tax

All you have to do is look at Obamas cabinet and Czar appointments and you would find even bigger and more tax cheats. There is no news in this, we all know it already just soooooo many who will not accept the facts.

my instinct told this was not the whole story. maybe maybe obama's all over percentage was already high, so his increase was lower, arriving at the same later. too fuzzy?

check this from the linked link:

The median tax bill for city homeowners is up 9.6 percent.

That's largely because the 7 percent exemption given to homeowners is being phased out.

But the president didn't take that exemption during the last two years. So he's not experiencing the pain of losing it, like most other Chicago homeowners.

Obama does pay more in property taxes than most politicians in Chicago and Cook County do, the Chicago Sun-Times found by examining online copies of the tax bills that Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas mailed out this week. But Obama's seeing one of the smallest increases among Cook County politicians.

:lol:

my instinct told this was not the whole story. maybe maybe obama's all over percentage was already high, so his increase was lower, arriving at the same later. too fuzzy?

That's largely because the 7 percent exemption given to homeowners is being phased out.

But the president didn't take that exemption during the last two years. So he's not experiencing the pain of losing it, like most other Chicago homeowners.

Obama does pay more in property taxes than most politicians in Chicago and Cook County do, the Chicago Sun-Times found by examining online copies of the tax bills that Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas mailed out this week. But Obama's seeing one of the smallest increases among Cook County politicians.

As a non-politician in Chicago area, I can say it doesn't set well with me. Not Obama, Not Daley, not the rest of those that steal right and left from us.

Also from the site, more of the nonsense:

Among the others:

• Mayor Daley's tax bill is up 3.52 percent on his South Loop townhouse. That's $464.37 above what he paid last year.

• Cook County Board President Todd Stroger's tax bill is up 3 percent on his Avalon Park bungalow, costing him another $41.63 this year.

• Gov. Quinn's taxes are up more than 13 percent for his two-story Georgian home in the Galewood neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side -- $377.11 over last year.

• Ald. John Pope (10th) is seeing his tax bill rise 33 percent. The Hegewisch alderman will pay $360.52 more than last year on his home.

• Ald. Joe Moore (49th) is paying 15.5 percent more. The Rogers Park alderman will pay $1,118.98 more on his home.

All Cook County property homeowners must pay their second proptery-tax installment by Dec. 1 to avoid penalities and interest.

As a non-politician in Chicago area, I can say it doesn't set well with me. Not Obama, Not Daley, not the rest of those that steal right and left from us.

Among the others:

• Mayor Daley's tax bill is up 3.52 percent on his South Loop townhouse. That's $464.37 above what he paid last year.

• Cook County Board President Todd Stroger's tax bill is up 3 percent on his Avalon Park bungalow, costing him another $41.63 this year.

• Gov. Quinn's taxes are up more than 13 percent for his two-story Georgian home in the Galewood neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side -- $377.11 over last year.

• Ald. John Pope (10th) is seeing his tax bill rise 33 percent. The Hegewisch alderman will pay $360.52 more than last year on his home.

• Ald. Joe Moore (49th) is paying 15.5 percent more. The Rogers Park alderman will pay $1,118.98 more on his home.

All Cook County property homeowners must pay their second proptery-tax installment by Dec. 1 to avoid penalities and interest.

don't you get it?

obama saw a smaller increase because he voluntarily paid more the last years. he already pays a higher level, of course his increase will be lower.

you should compare the overall percentage he is paying, not the increase.

Among the others:

don't you get it?

obama saw a smaller increase because he voluntarily paid more the last years. he already pays a higher level, of course his increase will be lower.

It's you that isn't 'getting it' read again. I'm not being snarky here.

doesn't it say on average, so it doesn't mean everyone's increased that much. And like LK Eder pointed out Obama didn't take the two year exemption which is probably the number one reason why his did not go up and other people' did. Also did you think maybe the other politicians also did not take the exemption?

don't you get it?

i give up.

don't you get it?

i give up.

He's still paying less than even the other pols, that are way below the average. Yes, he paid more earlier, but less total. It's the 'way.'

i give up.

He's still paying less than even the other pols, that are way below the average. Yes, he paid more earlier, but less total. It's the 'way.'
"Obama does pay more in property taxes than most politicians in Chicago and Cook County do, the Chicago Sun-Times found by examining online copies of the tax bills that Cook County "

i give up.

"Obama does pay more in property taxes than most politicians in Chicago and Cook County do, the Chicago Sun-Times found by examining online copies of the tax bills that Cook County "

Okay, so the Sun-Times is now debating the Sun-Times. Cool.

kay so if he didn't take the 2 year examption he should have gone up by 2.6% not 1%. Simple math folks. 9.6% less 7% equals 2.6%.

kay so if he didn't take the 2 year examption he should have gone up by 2.6% not 1%. Simple math folks. 9.6% less 7% equals 2.6%.
"increased an average of 9.6%"

do we need to explain what an average amount means?

Nope I know what an average amount means. NOw according to you good little lefties the more valuable the property the higher the taxes should be. And that chunk of property Obama owns isn't cheap. So his increase should have been above average...

Nope I know what an average amount means. NOw according to you good little lefties the more valuable the property the higher the taxes should be. And that chunk of property Obama owns isn't cheap. So his increase should have been above average...
property value can increase at different rates in different neighborhoods. The article also said obama pays more property taxes than most chicago politicians, did you skip that part?
The housing market for high end homes could not be as good as middle class homes in chicago, therefore effecting the property value.

Everybody in Chicago is a politician? And the evidence is that most Chicago politicians are more than a little corrupt. So paying more than them is pretty much the same as saying he doesn't steal as much.

property value can increase at different rates in different neighborhoods. The article also said obama pays more property taxes than most chicago politicians, did you skip that part?
The housing market for high end homes could not be as good as middle class homes in chicago, therefore effecting the property value.

Right, the rich areas don't increase like those of lesser values. Right. And it said he didn't take temporary breaks available previously, so didn't rise the way others did, not that he paid 'more', rather didn't defer.

Right, the rich areas don't increase like those of lesser values. Right. And it said he didn't take temporary breaks available previously, so didn't rise the way others did, not that he paid 'more', rather didn't defer.

i try again.

if obama pays 100 % voluntarily instead of 93 %, he will pay more. now this available 7 % exemption is gone, he has to pay 100 %. in this simple case, he got an increase of 0%. which means nothing. the whole article is bullshit. it is a classic case of misleading and politician bashing, one could call it class warfare even.

New Topics

Forum List

Back