Oil Sands Pipeline Burst --> Kalamazoo --> Two years later --> what a mess

It was the Republicans in Idaho who unanimously lobbied the President to put the Keystone on hold. Not really reported by the so called "liberal" news.

Links are more credible, RD.

Even as Democrats were able to hold the line and beat back a Republican attempt to force through the controversial Keystone Pipeline project, the GOP feels it has hit a potent election-year issue.

Eleven Democrats—many facing re-election in swing states—defected from their party and voted with Republicans in favor of an amendment, offered by Republican North Dakota Sen. John Hoeven, which would have allowed the pipeline project to move forward despite any White House objections. The Senate voted 56-42 in favor of the measure—falling short of the 60 votes needed to pass it as an amendment to the larger highway authorization bill.

Despite Failed Vote, GOP Sees Victory in Keystone Pipeline - US News and World Report

Right wingers rarely read the links. This "link" proves it:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/humor/212442-obama-over-the-top-praising-chinese-government.html

It is so grown up of you to use links to back up your argument. I'm proud of you RD. I bet any day now puberty will be knocking on your door.
We do look at the arguments differently though. My concerns are about using the best methods and materials to do the job right the first time. I also have concerns about ensuring preparedness and response to real problems.

Officials have attempted oil spill cleanup methods to contain the leakage, but the damage has closed 40 miles of the river and forced many residents and businesses to relocate.

Michigan residents express oil spill concerns along Kalamazoo River

The smell of oil was sickeningly strong at first. Residents evacuated the houses nearest to the leak, and workers within half a mile of the pipeline break had to wear respirators to protect them from inhaling fumes. Even a dozen miles downstream, I could smell the oil and feel the fumes irritating my eyes. These fumes were the light components of the oil evaporating into the air. The heavy components of the oil were left behind on the banks or gradually sank to the bottom of the river.

Investigating Environmental Impacts: Oil on the Kalamazoo River

Oh that darn EPA. What do we need it for? Let business do business. This is why it's dangerous to put Republicans in charge of anything. War, disasters, doesn't matter. They always find a way to make things worse.

The cost so far is 10 times per gallon the cost of cleaning up a regular spill, because the oil sands sink to the bottom of the river where they can't get to it.

but that spill happened because of govt regulations!

What do you want to do, go back to windmills and blacksmiths or admit that oil is what fuels the world? The ultra radical left are no dummies. They understand that a couple of incidents of sabotage can be used to gain a political advantage. Barry is the last chance for the radical left wing and if it takes an accident that inconveniences people in Louisiana or Michigan what do you think they will do? You already saw the propaganda value that Dean saw in it.

Agreed. The perspective should be, "Best Foot Forward". Damage by use of inferior or substandard materials, even incompetence should be criminal, though, and the Penalties to include 100% restoration and 100% damages.Consider that there are not only innocent reasons for accidents but both incompetent and criminal.

Where there are issues with the integrity, or maintenance, or inspection of pipe-line, I would ask where the Fuck is Government Regulation and Oversight. Yes, Government has a role in prevention and safeguarding. Yes the Oil Companies have a Responsibility, even in foresight. There is always what you know V.S. what you tell us, My bets on the truth coming out one way or another.

Officials have attempted oil spill cleanup methods to contain the leakage, but the damage has closed 40 miles of the river and forced many residents and businesses to relocate.

The smell of oil was sickeningly strong at first. Residents evacuated the houses nearest to the leak, and workers within half a mile of the pipeline break had to wear respirators to protect them from inhaling fumes. Even a dozen miles downstream, I could smell the oil and feel the fumes irritating my eyes. These fumes were the light components of the oil evaporating into the air. The heavy components of the oil were left behind on the banks or gradually sank to the bottom of the river.

Oh that darn EPA. What do we need it for? Let business do business. This is why it's dangerous to put Republicans in charge of anything. War, disasters, doesn't matter. They always find a way to make things worse.

The cost so far is 10 times per gallon the cost of cleaning up a regular spill, because the oil sands sink to the bottom of the river where they can't get to it.

More lies, this has nothing to do with the Keystone pipeline.

Well if the EPA is supposed to prevent this kind of stuff, looks like they've failed big time.
This happened on Obama's watch. Wonder if you'll hold him accountable....:eusa_whistle:

Well if the EPA is supposed to prevent this kind of stuff, looks like they've failed big time.
This happened on Obama's watch. Wonder if you'll hold him accountable....:eusa_whistle:

Good point. Mechanics are not political though, remember that. We should be learning from mistakes, cleaning up our messes, and improving our ability. We need the oil, we need to achieve, the best way we know how.

Links are more credible, RD.

Even as Democrats were able to hold the line and beat back a Republican attempt to force through the controversial Keystone Pipeline project, the GOP feels it has hit a potent election-year issue.

Eleven Democrats—many facing re-election in swing states—defected from their party and voted with Republicans in favor of an amendment, offered by Republican North Dakota Sen. John Hoeven, which would have allowed the pipeline project to move forward despite any White House objections. The Senate voted 56-42 in favor of the measure—falling short of the 60 votes needed to pass it as an amendment to the larger highway authorization bill.

Despite Failed Vote, GOP Sees Victory in Keystone Pipeline - US News and World Report

Right wingers rarely read the links. This "link" proves it:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/humor/212442-obama-over-the-top-praising-chinese-government.html

It is so grown up of you to use links to back up your argument. I'm proud of you RD. I bet any day now puberty will be knocking on your door.
We do look at the arguments differently though. My concerns are about using the best methods and materials to do the job right the first time. I also have concerns about ensuring preparedness and response to real problems.

which country/countries are supplying the pipe? :eusa_whistle:

which country/countries are supplying the pipe? :eusa_whistle:
INDIA, from a company known for making shit steel, Welspun, but those evil Democrats are demanding that Trans Canada use American steel.
Damn Democrats! CON$erviNutzis don't seem to care that Trans Canada has been lying to Congress claiming that the steel is being produced in the USA at the Welspun plant in Little Rock, but all they are doing there is heating and bending the steel produced in INDIA. The GOP loves supporting foreign companies that lie to Congress. We should elect more Republicans so we can show how bad "Government" is.

Committee Democrats to TransCanada: Immediately Disclose Origin of Steel to be Used on Keystone XL Pipeline | Committee on Energy and Commerce Democrats
New information obtained by Rep. Doyle indicates that these statements may not be accurate. On February 6, 2012, Welspun Tubular LLC in Little Rock informed Rep. Doyle’s office that some of the steel pipe to be used in the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline was produced in India. Mr. Doyle explained: Let's understand something. The steel is not being manufactured in Little Rock, Arkansas. There is no steel being manufactured there. They are taking steel that has already been manufactured in a foreign country, heating it up and bending it and welding the seams. That is what is going on in Little Rock, Arkansas. There are approximately 200 to 300 jobs at that plant.
As this is a privately funded project, TransCanada is entitled to decide where to purchase its materials. However, providing misleading information to Congress in order to obtain a legislative earmark for the approval of its pipeline would be clearly improper.

Damn, these posts prove Republicans are crazy. They seem to be saying this terrible environmental damage is because of regulations and if there were no regulations, it wouldn't have happened.

No wonder you can't negotiate with them. How can you negotiate with such zany people living so far from reality?

Is China really the Republicans new "role model" for American business?

Doesn't it seem more and more like the American left are a bunch of racist bigots? It's fine for the Saudis and Colombians and Canadians to risk environmental problems as long as the elites in the Obama administration can drive around in their gas guzzling armored cars.

Doesn't it seem more and more like the American left are a bunch of racist bigots? It's fine for the Saudis and Colombians and Canadians to risk environmental problems as long as the elites in the Obama administration can drive around in their gas guzzling armored cars.

You're angry because our country isn't dirty enough? Really?

You seem to be missing the point [I know, surprise surprise].

If we don't drill for our own oil here, with our very strict environmental standards, then we just end up importing it from overseas. Typically from thrid world shitholes that don't give a flying fuck about the environment. So in the end, we actually reward those countries for crapping all over the environment while at the same time denying jobs right here in the US.

So that is the Hussein's energy policy- reward other countries that abide by lesser standards than ours. He'd rather give a raghead a job, than some redneck American.

Inspections for this pipeline are the responsibility of the Federal Government.

Oil is 100% organic.
Mindless DittoNutzis think that makes oil safe. Strychnine is also 100% organic!

March 07, 2012
RUSH: Oil's not even toxic. It's natural! Oil is organic. It's as organic as anything is.

Are you saying its not natural? :cuckoo:
:asshole:

Like I have shown over and over again, CON$erviNutzis always play dumb when they are caught with their foot in their mouth.

Are you saying that nothing natural or organic can be toxic? :cuckoo:

You seem to be missing the point [I know, surprise surprise].

If we don't drill for our own oil here, with our very strict environmental standards, then we just end up importing it from overseas. Typically from thrid world shitholes that don't give a flying fuck about the environment. So in the end, we actually reward those countries for crapping all over the environment while at the same time denying jobs right here in the US.

So that is the Hussein's energy policy- reward other countries that abide by lesser standards than ours. He'd rather give a raghead a job, than some redneck American.

Ummm, you know our number one export is gasoline, right?

OK, think about this. Do you really think that America has so much oil we could flood the market world wide and bring down the price two dollars a gallon?

Inspections for this pipeline are the responsibility of the Federal Government.
And the government issued the company a warning that January, which like good capitalists do, the company ignored it until the spill July 26.

Forum List

Back