Oil refineries?

Discussion in 'Energy' started by RodISHI, Jun 8, 2009.

1. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Does anyone recall what happened with the majority of America's oil refineries?

I recall talking to an oil refinery engineer in the year 2000. He was hot about the American domestic refineries selling out to Canada in the late 90's. The man told me that people would not realize the damage to our economy concerning quiet sellout until later.

When hurricane Katrina hit the remaining refineries in the Gulf states took a heavy hit.

Combine the earlier sellout and the hurricane Katrina hit and you have the end result that we are seeing today. The USA no longer has the domestic refining capabilities worth mentioning. While we are at it, let's not forget the environmental idiots. Who the hell can afford to do business when you wind up in court for fifty years with a bunch of environmental extremists? I guess environmental extremism is just as bad as any other extremism. If a money grubbing capitalist was considering holding out maybe the Exxon Valdez, hurricane Katrina and other similar events make a cheap sale highly desirable?

Nobody wants to get dirty. "I ain't having no nasty oil refinery in my community" said the millions of environmentally conscious special interest groups and the office type guru's. Heaven forbid if the office crowd has to drive by some nasty oil refinery on their way into the office.

2. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    That also begs the questions, when was the last time a new refinery was built in the US? When was the last time a nuclear power plant was built in the US?
    We can't have energy independence if (as a country) we decide to not invest in creating energy.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Been a long time for major oil refinery being built:

Crude Oil FAQs - Energy Information Administration

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    I had heard someone propose building refineries on closed military bases to help bypass the environuts. It seems like a plan to me.

5. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,699
    Typical CON$ervative brainwashing!
    It's the oil companies, not the environmentalists, that are blocking any new refineries and closing old ones to keep gas prices high.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Odd how those environmentalists have such control over the USA when it comes to oil refineries, isn't it?

I mean given how the environmentalists get their asses kicked in so many other areas, and all.

But somehow they prevent the most influential and powerful corporations in the world from getting their way.

Yeah, those damned environmentalists have stopped so many planned refineries.

Somebody want to name all those planned refineries that they environmentalists stopped from happening for us?

A list of all those legal battles that the environmentlaists won would be helpful.

Please list them all for us.

7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    okay i will wade in here...the damage to the pristine prince william bay from the exxon valdez is still there....the reason a lot of people dont want oil refinieries in their areas...they tend to blow the fuck up....ask lake charles la about the one called the "fire cracker refinery" and btw chavez owes refinieries in the us...like everything else...now...someone else owns and runs it...face it people fossil fuels are not the path to the future...

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I'm still waiting for evidence that proves that many refineries that were planned were not build as a result of the environmentalists.

I think I'lll be waiting a long time because I cannot think of an example of any oil company planning a refinery which environmetalists ever stopped.

There must be many according to the apologists for the oil companies.

Where's the evidence to support this claim they make?

Does anyone has any?

9. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Pages and pages of articles concerning oil refineries being halted and progress slowed to build refineries. Many of these are current and ongoing projects.

environmentalist stop refinery - Google Search

Coal to oil...Coal Gasification

PBS lesson plans exploring the history of oil...

For edthecynic.....
    The Democrat Assault on American Energy

I'm not looking to place the blame on anyone here... It is obvious we have a problem that needs to be solved regardless of who did what when whether they be republican or democrat. It is all a money game for both environuts and corporates. It is the livelihood of the middle class to be able to be able to work, heat and cool their homes and the buy groceries that are grown in a field by a farmer that uses fuel operated equipment.

I watched a few homeowners stop a sand and gravel mining operation on the edge of Des Moines because they did not want their view impeded. Those few people drove the cost of building up for everyone. From the road construction to the average homeowner. I would have told them all "Sorry folks but the whole world does not revolve around you and you alone. When you get rich enough to buy all of the land that your home overlooks then you can say what is done with it."

10. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Don't hold your breath. The oil companies make obscene profits when the can claim they can't keep up with demand.