Ohio Enquirer presidential endorsement: Mitt Romney

Discussion in 'Election Forums' started by Conservative, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121028/EDIT01/310280050/Enquirer-presidential-endorsement-Mitt-Romney?nclick_check=1

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    :clap2:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    They forgot to mention that the state of MA dropped two slots in job growth by the end of Romney's term, that Romney vetoed dozens of bills only to have the vetoes overridden by the legislature (in other words, he doesn't work well with others) that Ohio has retained good jobs thanks to Obama's auto bailout (the one that Romney opposed), and that Ohio's UE rate is lower than the national average.

4. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,936
    As someone who knows Obama and his tactics you can't possibly be saying that with a straight face.

These past 4 years have been the most disfunctional in DC in my lifetime

5. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    link to this please? Also, how does that compare to the number of bills he DID sign into law? The ratio of bills signed to not signed is a better indicator of his ability to 'work and play well with others'.

6. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTuW-a_qFlA&feature=fvwrel]Mitch McConnell: Top Priority, Make Obama a One Term President - YouTube[/ame]

7. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Romney As Governor: 800 Vetoes And One Big Deal : NPR

Romney clearly did not relish having to work with a Legislature that was 85 percent Democratic. He pushed hard during his first two years as governor to boost the number of Republicans on Beacon Hill. But that effort was a failure; Republicans ended up losing seats in the midterm elections.

Romney gave up on party building. "From now on," he told The Boston Globe, "it's me-me-me."

Within weeks, Romney had unveiled a universal health insurance plan that would become his signature accomplishment as he launched a 2008 bid for the White House.

But apart from health care, Romney defined success not with big-picture legislative accomplishments but with confrontation. In a 2008 campaign ad, Romney actually bragged about taking on his Legislature: "I like vetoes; I vetoed hundreds of spending appropriations as governor," he said.

Romney issued some 800 vetoes, and the Legislature overrode nearly all of them, sometimes unanimously.

Standing outside that chamber, Democrat Ellen Story recalls a Gov. Romney who had a policeman screen visitors and who did not allow lawmakers to use the bank of elevators just outside his office:

"He was aloof; he was not approachable," Story says. "He was very much an outsider, the whole time he was here."

And Story remembers something else about the former governor: "The Republican reps would grumble that he didn't even know their names."

George Peterson was one of those Republicans; he does not take issue with his colleague's characterization of Romney: "It took him a little bit to get used to dealing with elected officials, let's put it that way," he says.

"The first year was, I'd say, a struggle," Peterson says. "He was used to being a top executive, 'and this is where we're going, and this is how we're going to do it.' And this animal [the state Legislature] doesn't work that way. Not at all. Especially when it's overwhelmingly ruled by one party."

8. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I can't believe a Gannett newspaper would endorse a Republican!

They endorsed McCain/Palin in '08.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  9. AceRothstein

AceRothstein Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,533
    It was actually much more than a few dozen. Des Moines Register Romney Endorsement Neglects His 800 Massachusetts Vetoes And Billion-dollar Olympics Loss Without Tax Dollars, Says Robert Weiner, Democratic Strategist - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee

I believe over 700 of the vetoes were overridden.

10. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Thanks for the link. Now, for the second part, got a link to the number of bills he actually signed into law? As I said, the ratio would be a better indicator.