Official suspects illegal entrants of voting in NM

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
SANTA FE, N.M. - New Mexico's top elections official told lawmakers Tuesday she is concerned that a review of the state's voter registration rolls and a list of the thousands of foreign nationals who have been issued driver's licenses under a much debated state law has turned up evidence of fraud.

Secretary of State Dianna Duran issued a statement Tuesday evening that provided details of her office's findings after two days of cross checking the databases.

The office matched 117 voter registrations to names and dates of birth in the database of foreign national license holders. All 117 have Social Security numbers on their voter registrations that do not match their names, and at least 37 of those individuals have voted in New Mexico elections.

Duran, a former state senator and county clerk, said New Mexico has had close elections in which some officials have won or lost by a handful of votes.

"I know New Mexicans will agree that even one illegal vote is one too many," she said.

Meanwhile, both immigrant and voter rights groups questioned the validity of the review.

"Basically it's an absurd way of trying to ferret out people who are illegally registering. There has been no evidence to show that immigrants who are either legally permanent residents or undocumented are trying to do it," said Marcela Diaz of the immigrant rights group Somos Un Pueblo Unido.

The issue of whether New Mexico should issue driver's licenses to foreign nationals, particularly illegal immigrants, has been the focus of much debate during the legislative session.

Immigrant applicants for a driver's license don't need a Social Security number as part of their identification. Instead, they can submit a taxpayer identification number issued by the federal government along with other identification such as a passport and a Matricula Consular card issued by a Mexican consulate.

Two other states - Washington and Utah - also allow illegal immigrants to get licenses because their laws do not require proof of citizenship. However, Utah's driving permits cannot be used as a government identification card.

A spokesman for Gov. Susana Martinez said the initial report from the secretary of state's office should be a concern for New Mexicans.

"Each and every illegally cast vote disenfranchises a New Mexican, and this is yet another reason why the governor strongly supports repealing the law that gives driver's licenses to illegal immigrants," said spokesman Scott Darnell.

Under a 2003 law, more than 80,000 driver's licenses have gone to foreign nationals. The state says it doesn't know how many of those went to illegal immigrants because it doesn't ask the immigration status of license applicants.

This is nothing new. I saw them being registered to vote at Kings Ranch Market in 08 where Mexicans shop. All they need is a driver's license to register and then they vote.

That's BS... you have to be a citizen to register to vote in NM... they can take names, but the registrations wouldn't be put through. No one is gonig to check at the time of signing up, but they would end up not being registered.

NEW MEXICO
You must:

Be a citizen of the United States
Be a resident of New Mexico
Be at least 18 years of age at the time of the next election
Not have been denied the right to vote by a court of law by reason of mental incapacity or felony conviction
Registration Deadline: 28 days before the election

Date of Republican Primary: Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Republican Primary Registration Deadline: Tuesday, May 6, 2008 (28 days prior)

State Election Website:New Mexico Secretary of State Dianna J. Duran
SOS Website: New Mexico Secretary of State Dianna J. Duran

State by State Info - Declare Yourself

I agree that any illegal vote disenfranchises the citizens within the state.

Since Driver's licenses in this state can not be used as legal identification, according to the article, I wonder what the voter's registrar office uses to double check the people registering to vote? they are suppose to double check all of those registering to vote, aren't they?

SANTA FE, N.M. - New Mexico's top elections official told lawmakers Tuesday she is concerned that a review of the state's voter registration rolls and a list of the thousands of foreign nationals who have been issued driver's licenses under a much debated state law has turned up evidence of fraud.

Secretary of State Dianna Duran issued a statement Tuesday evening that provided details of her office's findings after two days of cross checking the databases.

The office matched 117 voter registrations to names and dates of birth in the database of foreign national license holders. All 117 have Social Security numbers on their voter registrations that do not match their names, and at least 37 of those individuals have voted in New Mexico elections.

Duran, a former state senator and county clerk, said New Mexico has had close elections in which some officials have won or lost by a handful of votes.

"I know New Mexicans will agree that even one illegal vote is one too many," she said.

Meanwhile, both immigrant and voter rights groups questioned the validity of the review.

"Basically it's an absurd way of trying to ferret out people who are illegally registering. There has been no evidence to show that immigrants who are either legally permanent residents or undocumented are trying to do it," said Marcela Diaz of the immigrant rights group Somos Un Pueblo Unido.

The issue of whether New Mexico should issue driver's licenses to foreign nationals, particularly illegal immigrants, has been the focus of much debate during the legislative session.

Immigrant applicants for a driver's license don't need a Social Security number as part of their identification. Instead, they can submit a taxpayer identification number issued by the federal government along with other identification such as a passport and a Matricula Consular card issued by a Mexican consulate.

Two other states - Washington and Utah - also allow illegal immigrants to get licenses because their laws do not require proof of citizenship. However, Utah's driving permits cannot be used as a government identification card.

A spokesman for Gov. Susana Martinez said the initial report from the secretary of state's office should be a concern for New Mexicans.

"Each and every illegally cast vote disenfranchises a New Mexican, and this is yet another reason why the governor strongly supports repealing the law that gives driver's licenses to illegal immigrants," said spokesman Scott Darnell.

Under a 2003 law, more than 80,000 driver's licenses have gone to foreign nationals. The state says it doesn't know how many of those went to illegal immigrants because it doesn't ask the immigration status of license applicants.

Review of voter registration applications is the way it's SUPPOSED to be done. Too bad Acorn got run out of business because of all the noisy allegations of illegal VOTING, when all the states had to do was check the voter registrations for validity. Such is the business of the right wing noise machine, however.

That's BS... you have to be a citizen to register to vote in NM... they can take names, but the registrations wouldn't be put through. No one is gonig to check at the time of signing up, but they would end up not being registered.

NEW MEXICO
You must:

Not have been denied the right to vote by a court of law by reason of mental incapacity or felony conviction

State by State Info*-*Declare Yourself

You have to be a citizen of the USA to vote period - in ALL states! Voter fraud exists whether many of you want to admit it or not - wake up. And this is done by many foreigners - not just hispanics.

NEW MEXICO
You must:

Well, according to the article, at least 37 of the 117 have voted so it seems that the registrations have been going through. Of course, we all know that the ones that got through are registered Republicans. :eusa_shhh: :eusa_whistle:

Immie

NEW MEXICO
You must:

Well, according to the article, at least 37 of the 117 have voted so it seems that the registrations have been going through. Of course, we all know that the ones that got through are registered Republicans. :eusa_shhh: :eusa_whistle:

Immie

see?

Now tell me again how a picture id would have stopped this crime? It wouldn't have Immie. So to me, this whole faux outrage on "Having a picture id" in order to vote has some sinister push behind it....it's a guise...while allowing real voter fraud fall through the cracks.

The voter registration office and employees are at fault in these 37/+100 cases though. New laws do not need to be writen, but the laws in place, needed to be enforced. Those workers obviously did not do their jobs of verifying the voter registration applicant.

Immie

see?

Now tell me again how a picture id would have stopped this crime? It wouldn't have Immie. So to me, this whole faux outrage on "Having a picture id" in order to vote has some sinister push behind it....it's a guise...while allowing real voter fraud fall through the cracks.

The voter registration office and employees are at fault in these 37/+100 cases though. New laws do not need to be writen, but the laws in place, needed to be enforced. Those workers obviously did not do their jobs of verifying the voter registration applicant.

Different situation of fraud. Why can you not see that?

Immie

Immie

see?

A few years ago, a Chicago LATINO politician's father was caught being involved making fake photo IDs for those from "south of the border". Nothing can stop these invading Mexicans except the US declaring war on Mexico.

All government documents, whether state, local or federal. upon issuance should only be issued to persons who have proof of citizenship or those who are applying for citizenship.

Indiana requires government issued photo ID to vote. To get a drivers license or photo ID you must be able to prove you citizenship and residency. Since there are states that do not require this, their ID's are worthless and can, depending upon other state requirements, affect other state/local elections. This is why a federal photo ID with fingerprint info should be issued to each citizen.

All government documents, whether state, local or federal. upon issuance should only be issued to persons who have proof of citizenship or those who are applying for citizenship.

Indiana requires government issued photo ID to vote. To get a drivers license or photo ID you must be able to prove you citizenship and residency. Since there are states that do not require this, their ID's are worthless and can, depending upon other state requirements, affect other state/local elections. This is why a federal photo ID with fingerprint info should be issued to each citizen.

But Mexican get pissed when you try to fingerprint them. This has all been suggested before and LA RAZA groups start rallies and call Americans racists!!! Then our wonderful US government backs down.

But Mexican get pissed when you try to fingerprint them. This has all been suggested before and LA RAZA groups start rallies and call Americans racists!!! Then our wonderful US government backs down.

I object to being fingerprinted and I object to a National ID card.

and I am as American as they come...and THIS is why I object!!!

Most Americans got fingerprinted if they went into the US Armed Forces. Why not fingerprint everyone. If it prevented criminals from ruining the US, why would you object?

Most Americans got fingerprinted if they went into the US Armed Forces. Why not fingerprint everyone. If it prevented criminals from ruining the US, why would you object?

it's simply an invasion of privacy and breaks the constitution.... I am not in the military and I do not get my paycheck from the gvt..... and I am not a criminal, and I am not an illegal alien...the gvt has no power or justification to need my fingerprints or my blood for dna or any of that.... end of story.

it's simply an invasion of privacy and breaks the constitution.... I am not in the military and I do not get my paycheck from the gvt..... and I am not a criminal, and I am not an illegal alien...the gvt has no power or justification to need my fingerprints or my blood for dna or any of that.... end of story.

But all Americans are called to defend their country even if it means sacrifice. Those fingerprints might help ferret out hundreds of criminals that would do harm to your fellow Americans. What's the harm?

If you're not committed to helping, you're just taking up space.

Last edited:

What do you expect? The voter registration office government employees are stupid lazy overpaid affirmative action appointed democrats. Why would they care to prevent thousands of likely illegal democrat voters from getting registered to vote?

What do you expect? The voter registration office government employees are stupid lazy overpaid affirmative action appointed democrats. Why would they care to prevent thousands of likely illegal democrat voters from getting registered to vote?

In all fairness, they are just following the crappy laws that Americans are not forcing Washington to change. Make yourself heard!

Got PROOF of your accusations that workers in the voter's registrar office are all scummy, low life liberals and not a mixture of Cons and Libs?

I thought NOT. sheesh....

Immie

see?

A few years ago, a Chicago LATINO politician's father was caught being involved making fake photo IDs for those from "south of the border". Nothing can stop these invading Mexicans except the US declaring war on Mexico.

Wouldn't it be funny if Mexico wound up taking back Texas and parts of California? I know, how about another war against the native American indians and they won this time?

Forum List

Back