"Offensive" Graduation Speech?

Mod, lying through his teeth about how this has no meaning outside that particular situation.
Typical.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far Allie. But I do know from experience that school administrators love the public to think that schools are all about rainbows and puppy dogs. There are CRIMES committed at my school on almost a daily basis and none ever make it in the paper. "Student confidentiality" and all that crap.

That's why I spout on an anonymous message board. :eusa_whistle:

I agree with both of you. However, I am still trying to understand the school's rationale.

Schools dont want the truth. They want the gloss that everything is well their worlds.

Why would the school want it know that the school is run by bullies, thieves, and racists. Read carefully between her lines.

who wants it known that they have a school where anyone who stands up to these people are slammed down...and the teachers allow it.

Good for her for making a final last stand.

OOO, that makes a kind of sense, chanel. School administrators did not want parents questioning why a student would speak out against school violence. When the administration places its own image above students' needs, time to get another fucking job, IMO.

Mod, lying through his teeth about how this has no meaning outside that particular situation.
Typical.

You have no idea about the administrators and or teachers ideologies. The fact you automatically assume their "leftist" is your ignorance, not mine.

Last stand?
Did she die?

Speaking to me about the last stand comment?

Yes a last stand. Isnt her whole speak about standing up against all that shit that goes on in her school? She said it in black and white for all to see. She stood there and spoke the truth as her parting words of insparation to the school.

Last stand also because she would not have to go back into that bunch of losers hat are her "classmates " and have to pay for her words of truth.

What seems strange is that the school isn't mentioned and when asked we're treated to a non-specific answer. Sounds like an Urban Legend!

At one of my son's graduation, the valedictorian used her speech as a springboard to get the audience to accept Jesus Christ as their savior. A school board member had introduced the speakers with a disclaimer that the speeches did not represent the views of the school, but solely the speakers.

I do not live in the Bible Belt, but in the great unchurched West. The speech was rather uninspiring. At first it sounded as if the girl was merely going to thank her parents, her church, God, and Jesus Christ for helping her achieve her goals, but then she launched into your typical Born Again invitation to accept Christ.

I applaud the school for favoring free speech even if I found that speech to be theologically lacking, unexpected, and perhaps controversial to some.

"Those few who

Cut the lunch line every day,

Cheat off your paper from behind,

Stick gum in unsightly places,

Lie, steal, deceive,

Raid the locker rooms during gym,

Mock other students for being different,

Attack somebody with no justification -

And those who call them out.

Because they should.

Because such people will always exist, but

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil

Is for good men to do nothing.' (Edmund Burke)

So do something.

And carry that sentiment with you even

As you walk, alone, into the real world.

Don't be afraid."

"These are just things that I've noticed in our school, in every school," Man said. "My message is that these things happen in school and in the real world. In school, it's probably easier to say, ‘Hey, knock it off, stop putting gum under that chair.' In the real world, it's a little more difficult, a little more serious.'"

This valedictorian, headed to the Ivy League, was barred from speaking because school officials found this speech "offensive". What say you?

Seriously? What school was this? That is exactly the kind of message to leave school and go into the world with.
And hell, it was brief. That alone should give it extra points.

I agree with both of you. However, I am still trying to understand the school's rationale.

They're leftist, tyrannical scum bags. They probably recognize themselves as one of the people he describes in the speech.

My kids went to a school run by rightist, tyrannical scumbags. I think we could set aside politics for once and simply consider the administrators of THIS school as generic tyrannical scumbags.

Forum List

Back