Odds someone else has your SSN? One in 7

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
That’s the stunning conclusion of a San Diego company's analysis of 290 million Social Security numbers, which found that 40 million of them have been attached to more than one name. The study, conducted by the fraud-fighting firm ID Analytics, is the first of its kind that’s been made available to the public.
We first wrote about the problem of “SSN-only” identity theft five years ago, and estimated that millions of Americans were on the “secret list of identity theft victims” whose SSNs had been misappropriated by an imposter to obtain work or credit.
The IRS often knows when this happens, when the imposter pays taxes. The Social Security Administration knows, too, for the same reason. And the nation's credit bureaus usually know, because the imposter often ends up applying for some form of credit. Plenty of financial institutions also have access to this information.
But no one is telling you. In short, all these government agencies and financial firms don't think you have a right to know.

Odds someone else has your SSN? One in 7 - The Red Tape Chronicles - msnbc.com

I had someone use my SSN to work.
The only found out because the state sent me a list of all the jobs I have had since I was 18, when I went to court over child support. When I checked the list, there was a job listed that I never worked at, and it wasn't under my last name.

My youngest is going through this hell now. Seems since he was in high school, someone in NY has been using his SSN to file taxes. Instead of a refund, the feds say he owns $8k+. Very frustrating, luckily we have a fraud expert and lawyer in family.

What an airtight system it is. Good thing we're not trying to reform it or anything, and trying to legislate tv commercial volume instead.

It would be very simple to identify the ones that are stolen.

Chasing them down is some jobs right there.
And make it a felony non negotiable 5 yr prison term for using someone elses SS number.

That’s the stunning conclusion of a San Diego company's analysis of 290 million Social Security numbers, which found that 40 million of them have been attached to more than one name. The study, conducted by the fraud-fighting firm ID Analytics, is the first of its kind that’s been made available to the public.
We first wrote about the problem of “SSN-only” identity theft five years ago, and estimated that millions of Americans were on the “secret list of identity theft victims” whose SSNs had been misappropriated by an imposter to obtain work or credit.
The IRS often knows when this happens, when the imposter pays taxes. The Social Security Administration knows, too, for the same reason. And the nation's credit bureaus usually know, because the imposter often ends up applying for some form of credit. Plenty of financial institutions also have access to this information.
But no one is telling you. In short, all these government agencies and financial firms don't think you have a right to know.

Odds someone else has your SSN? One in 7 - The Red Tape Chronicles - msnbc.com

What a collosal fuck up.

Forum List

Back