Obscene Salaries Uncovered at NPR

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
call your Reps. and ask them to DEFUND these people....NOW.

Media
March 03, 2011

By Jim DeMint

...The executives at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), which distributes the taxpayer money allocated for public broadcasting to other stations, are also generously compensated. According to CPB's 2009 tax forms, President and CEO Patricia de Stacy Harrison received $298,884 in reportable compensation and another $70,630 in other compensation from the organization and related organizations that year. That's practically a pittance compared to Kevin Klose, president emeritus of NPR, who received more than $1.2 million in compensation, according to the tax forms the nonprofit filed in 2009.

Today's media landscape is a thriving one with few barriers to entry and many competitors, unlike when CPB was created in 1967. In 2011, Americans have thousands of news, entertainment and educational programs to choose from that are available on countless television, radio and Web outlets.

Despite how accessible media has become to Americans over the years, funding for CPB has grown considerably. In 2001, the federal government appropriated $340 million for CPB. Last year it got $420 million. As Congress considers ways to close the $14 trillion deficit, cutting funding for the CPB has even been proposed by President Obama's bipartisan deficit reduction commission. Instead, Mr. Obama wants to increase CPB's funding to $451 million in his latest budget.

Meanwhile, highly successful, brand-name public programs like Sesame Street make millions on their own. "Sesame Street," for example, made more than $211 million from toy and consumer product sales from 2003-2006. Sesame Workshop President and CEO Gary Knell received $956,513 in compensation in 2008. With earnings like that, Big Bird doesn't need the taxpayers to help him compete against the Nickleodeon cable channel's Dora the Explorer.

from...
Obscene Salaries Uncovered at NPR - PBS - Fox Nation

When you make your living by sucking from the government teat, you want to get all the milk you can swallow... Same principal here. However, in the light of the government's eyes, they are not a problem because they are not "fat cats" raping the public on Wall Street.

this is what you are PAYING FOR PEOPLE..they are USING the money AGAINST YOU.

Last edited by a moderator:
6a00d8341c90b153ef014e8624a367970d-500wi

When you go to work do you want to make as much money as you can? I do? Can you really blame them for getting all they can while they can? I'm sure there are days when you say to yourself, "I can't believe I'm getting paid for this?" Why do peole always complain about other people salaries?

When you go to work do you want to make as much money as you can? I do? Can you really blame them for getting all they can while they can? I'm sure there are days when you say to yourself, "I can't believe I'm getting paid for this?" Why do peole always complain about other people salaries?

It's one thing to be paid a high salary by a private individual or company and quite another to expect the taxpayers to foot that kind of bill.

call your Reps. and ask them to DEFUND these people....NOW.

Media
March 03, 2011

By Jim DeMint

...The executives at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), which distributes the taxpayer money allocated for public broadcasting to other stations, are also generously compensated. According to CPB's 2009 tax forms, President and CEO Patricia de Stacy Harrison received $298,884 in reportable compensation and another $70,630 in other compensation from the organization and related organizations that year. That's practically a pittance compared to Kevin Klose, president emeritus of NPR, who received more than $1.2 million in compensation, according to the tax forms the nonprofit filed in 2009.

Today's media landscape is a thriving one with few barriers to entry and many competitors, unlike when CPB was created in 1967. In 2011, Americans have thousands of news, entertainment and educational programs to choose from that are available on countless television, radio and Web outlets.

Despite how accessible media has become to Americans over the years, funding for CPB has grown considerably. In 2001, the federal government appropriated $340 million for CPB. Last year it got $420 million. As Congress considers ways to close the $14 trillion deficit, cutting funding for the CPB has even been proposed by President Obama's bipartisan deficit reduction commission. Instead, Mr. Obama wants to increase CPB's funding to $451 million in his latest budget.

Meanwhile, highly successful, brand-name public programs like Sesame Street make millions on their own. "Sesame Street," for example, made more than $211 million from toy and consumer product sales from 2003-2006. Sesame Workshop President and CEO Gary Knell received $956,513 in compensation in 2008. With earnings like that, Big Bird doesn't need the taxpayers to help him compete against the Nickleodeon cable channel's Dora the Explorer.

from...
Obscene Salaries Uncovered at NPR - PBS - Fox Nation

Wow. All them EVUL Rich Peeples making personal profit off of public broadcasting.

Quelle Surprise.

It's one thing to be paid a high salary by a private individual or company and quite another to expect the taxpayers to foot that kind of bill.

So everyone who works for the government should be paid in peanuts?, I understand that there comes a point when enough is enough, like with non profit CEO's and their salaries.

Private funds vs public taxpayer funds

How hard is that to understand?

So everyone who works for the government should be paid in peanuts?, I understand that there comes a point when enough is enough, like with non profit CEO's and their salaries.

The government should do everything at the bare minimum cost to the tax payer. So yes the government should not pay the same salaries as private business.

That is what's called being prudent with other people's money.

holy smokes. :eusa_whistle:

the obscene salaries are the ones paid to congress and the others...

It's not so much the salaries ($174K is not that high of an income in a major metro area) - it's the huge expense accounts and pensions that are way out of line.

Elected officials and civil service personnel shouldn't receive pensions; they should have 401Ks like most of the private sector.

The government should do everything at the bare minimum cost to the tax payer. So yes the government should not pay the same salaries as private business.

So the best and brightest work for the private sector and the bottom of the barrel will work for the american people? There is a reason that the lowest bidder comes with many problems and flaws, same as the lowest paid employee.

I don't care what they get paid.

They should not get paid by me unless I have a say in what they produce.

I still haven't found the section in the Constitution or in the laws where it's OK for the government to produce proganda.

I'm calling it that b/c that's what the dems would call it if PBS put out conservative views.

So the best and brightest work for the private sector and the bottom of the barrel will work for the american people? There is a reason that the lowest bidder comes with many problems and flaws, same as the lowest paid employee.

And there is a reason that government jobs always run 2, 3, 4, 7 times the projected costs and that reason is the fucking government hacks don't know how to handle our money.

To pay them more to continue raping us is masochism.

Only if you think income is the driving factor for public service. It used to not be that way and government employees didn't have the means to negotiate on both sides of the table. NPR's executives resist any cut to government funding and we can see why. Let the people who pay those salaries choose if more money out of their pocket is worth the results of paying a person $11 Million.

Forum List

Back