Obama's ideal of racial relations

Discussion in 'Congress' started by jreeves, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Actually, for my interpretation of the Lott affair based upon facts as I suppose you understand them, see posts 43, 125, and 132 of the other Obama thread. How many times must you continue to bring up this issue that I have already addressed (3 times)? Diversion???

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,068
    You never have, all you have ever said is " gee blacks get to be racist and whites don't" And " I have no recollection of that woman, err I mean Trent Lott"

3. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Change the subject... like to Trent Lott. The quote that jreeves and I was not misrepresented. I discussed it. Just go up a few posts.

The statement that you brought up I call into question. I think that might be taken out of context. However, acting upon the assumption that it is accurate, I have endeavored to get back to the issue (as you requested) and provided my response to the original issue of the thread. How is the changing the subject?

Silly man.

See aforemention posts 45, 125 and 132 of the other thread. Of course, I am not sure your description of the facts is perfectly accurate, but acting upon the assumption that it is, any of these three posts establish my position. However, it is still a diversion.

4. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    You really don't know what a descriptive versus a normative point is do you?

5. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,068
    Sure thing. You will note that Cone's other comments are in fact referenced by page number of his book? But do pretend otherwise.

It is simple , really, If the left can claim Trent Lott a racist for a simple retirement feel good comment, then they should have no trouble understanding that Obama is a racist for his personal friendship, declaring Wright his Mentor, writing books about him and his religious beliefs.

But I realize faced with such an overwhelming amount of REAL evidence you might want to avoid that comparison.

6. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    1. Trent Lott said "When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Lott

2. Strom Thurmond ran for President in 1948 as a Dixiecrat opposing desegration. During the election, he said in a speech:

“I wanna tell you, ladies and gentlemen, that there's not enough troops in the army to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the nigra race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches."

He continued to oppose desegregation and conducted the longest filibuster ever by a U.S. Senator in opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1957

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strom_Thurmond

I fail to see how this analogous to Obama.

7. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,068
    Cause you are either ignorant or purposefully not telling the truth.

8. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Trent Lott said the country would be a better place if the segregationist candidate (that was essentially the platform for the campaign by the way) had won the election in 1948.

Obama didn't say anything, except that he disagreed with and disavowed inflammatory remarks his pastor made.

How is this analogous?

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,068
    Sure thing.

10. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    We can just agree to disagree RGS. Still got nothing but love for ya. Have a nice day.