Bob Barr Forms Presidential Exploratory Committee

Discussion in 'Congress' started by JeffWartman, Apr 7, 2008.

1. JeffWartman

JeffWartman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    http://www.jeffwartman.com/2008/04/bob-barr-forms-presidential-exploratory.html

...Addressing Midwestern activists at the Heartland Libertarian Conference today, former Congressman Bob Barr announced the launch of the Bob Barr 2008 Presidential Exploratory Committee (BobBarr2008.com).

In his speech, Barr noted that, “America today faces a grave moral and leadership crisis, and those of us who care about our country’s future can no longer sit on the sidelines and remain neutral.” “As Dante Alighieri said many centuries ago,” Barr observed, “the hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Continuing, Barr stated that, “some say it is not now expedient or politically pragmatic to do the right thing, for the right reason.” But, he then asked his audience, “When has there been a better time? When has the risk of inaction carried more serious consequences? When will it be appropriate to take extraordinary steps? What must happen to our Constitution before we set aside our complacency and expediency in favor of principle?”...

2. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,381
    I personally think this guy is great, but come on, do you really think the majority of the members here even have a clue who he is?

Most posters here obviously rely on the MSM to pick their candidates, so I would doubt if very many, if any, have even heard of him.

3. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
  4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,381
    What amendment? It was a piece of federal legislation which protected the rights of the individual states.

States' rights are a huge platform of Libertarians.

And in his defense, he's not exactly the staunchest Libertarian on the planet. I believe he was once a Republican, and has since joined the LP due to discontent with the RP.

Something I'm about to do myself, pending the final outcome of this presidential election.

You'd probably hate him more for the fact that he was among the first, if not THE first, to initiate impeachment hearings on Clinton.

5. Laine

Laine Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I suppose if you want to play into the whole idea of third party candidates playing spoiler than Barr takes more from McCain then Gravel does by far.

6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,381
    I personally hope multiple known 3rd party candidates run and take votes away from BOTH main parties. They both need an enormous wake-up call from voters.

Nader and Paul would be optimal. Both could take more than 10% of the vote from each side.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    The chance a third party candidate wins is remote as hell. The chance a libertarian even gets on enough State ballots to do much damage is remote as hell as well.

Just admit it Paul you want Obama to be President. Go ahead it is ok to join the Liberal left, you ARE free to be as dumb or as smart as you can be in this country.

8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,381
    You and the rest of the electorate thinking that is the main reason why. But no one, at least not me anyway, said anything about one winning, in this thread.
    They have automatic access to almost 40 states RGS, and with the right candidate, they could get more. Ron Paul would probably garner 50 state ballot access if he ran Libertarian.

You got me RGS. And I thought I was hiding it so well, too. :rolleyes:

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    I won't vote for a libertarian because they are to far right. They are foolish in their beliefs on Government as a whole. Do yourself a favor and learn what they really believe.

Given a choice of voting for McCain or Obama, no problem at all, McCain is the only choice. Between Clinton and McCain I will probably vote for Clinton, since both are liberals might as well ensure the liberals get blamed for the fucked up Government we will have for the next 4 years.

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,381
    I know what they believe. I also know that each one is their own, like any other party. I'm not ignorant enough to assume one label for every single person that is registered with, or running for office in the LP.

At the same time, these days they're probably the most fiscally conservative party that can get access to ballots. It's your choice, of course.
    Right. It's all just a fucking game to you. It's like a sporting event. Do you have TIVO? You can pause and rewind live debates and vote tallies, so you'll never miss the most exciting moments while you pop your popcorn!