Obama's "I inherited this mess" excuse vs reality

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PLYMCO_PILGRIM, Aug 2, 2010.

1. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    I got this from a friend of mine but I felt it needed to be shared and feel it is accurate.

Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress, and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democratic Party. They controlled the budget process for FY 2007, 2008 and FY 2009, as well as FY 2010 and FY 2011. In that first year, they had to contend with George Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases. For FY 2009, though, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid bypassed George Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep government running until Barack Obama could take office. At that time, they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the FY 2009 budgets.

And where was Barack Obama during this time? He was a member of that very Congress that passed all of these massive spending bills, and he signed the omnibus bill as President to complete FY 2009. Let's remember what the deficits looked like during that period:

If the Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the FY 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in five years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that, Democrats in Congress took control of spending, and that includes Barack Obama, who voted for the budgets. If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself.

In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is I inherited a deficit that I voted for and then I voted to expand that deficit four-fold since January 20th.

Can someone reconcile this reality with the Obama admin's talking points?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    what happened in january 2006?

3. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Democrats Take Majority in House; Pelosi Poised to Become Speaker - washingtonpost.com

Democrats took control of the budget in 2007, with both houses of congress, the very budgets obama voted for and "inherited".

4. EriktheRed

EriktheRed Eh...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,732
    No, the GOP was still in control in January 2006.

5. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    *chirp* *chirp* *chirp*
    go the crickets.....

6. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    yes they were.

I fixed the OP to reflect that properly. Lucky for me it didn't change the point :)

7. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Let's clear up a basic point of confusion. Deficits tend to arise during recessions in a very natural way, through two primary mechanisms: 1) falling revenues as taxable income falls and 2) rises in mandatory spending as automatic stabilizers kick in. Money coming in drops, money going out increases all without a single appropriations bill required. Now this particular recession had some unique features, like a teetering financial sector, which led to some extra measures that are out of the ordinary (and, no, TARP isn't merely a creation of a Democratic Congressional majority).

Where was the deficit just before Obama took office? Here's what the CBO was telling us in January 2009 (I've bolded some of the new factors contributing to the deficit):

These factors were piled onto the other factors that were already creating deficits (e.g. two ongoing military conflicts, a revenue shortage due to tax cuts that weren't offset with spending cuts, etc). So when Obama walked through the door, the deficit for 2009 was forecast to be $1.2 trillion. And that's not because of out-of-control Congressional appropriations or whatever your chain email is suggesting, it's because he was taking office in the midst of an economic shitstorm, which never tends to bode well for the deficit.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    why is everyone screwing anything but humans?

9. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    how do you feel about the accuracy now.

10. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,794
    And Obama took that $1.2T deficit, increased it by 25% and then extended it so that for the next decade, the deficit will barely dip below $1T per year, if it accomplishes even that feat.

Time for the Pottery Barn Rule: Obama Broke The Economy. He Owns It Now.