Obama's challenge: Anger is replacing hope

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
Thrust into office on the veracity of hope, President Barack Obama is trying to get himself on the right side of a remarkably different national sentiment these days: anger.

All that angst that Obama wants to harness as a force for change — as he did in his campaign — will turn against him. That means eroding public support for his agenda and potentially big losses for his party this year in congressional midterm elections.

"Fat cat" bankers, lobbyists, insurance companies, the media, even the Supreme Court. Obama has targeted all of them in trying to show people that he is on the regular guy's side.

"It's perhaps a winning strategy in the short term," said David Gergen, a political analyst and former adviser to four presidents. "It will help to align him with those who are frustrated. But it is not a winning strategy over the long haul. You can't run for re-election pointing to all the things that are wrong with the system."

Obama's challenge: Anger is replacing hope - Yahoo! News

Running for President is easy.

Being President is hard.

Thrust into office on the veracity of hope, President Barack Obama is trying to get himself on the right side of a remarkably different national sentiment these days: anger.

All that angst that Obama wants to harness as a force for change — as he did in his campaign — will turn against him. That means eroding public support for his agenda and potentially big losses for his party this year in congressional midterm elections.

"Fat cat" bankers, lobbyists, insurance companies, the media, even the Supreme Court. Obama has targeted all of them in trying to show people that he is on the regular guy's side.

"It's perhaps a winning strategy in the short term," said David Gergen, a political analyst and former adviser to four presidents. "It will help to align him with those who are frustrated. But it is not a winning strategy over the long haul. You can't run for re-election pointing to all the things that are wrong with the system."

Being President is hard.

You got that right. Especially in todays political climate

Chicago style politics does not inspire trust and cooperation. These are two key ingredients in creating bipartisanship. Combine that with 0bama as the prince of change through the media and expectations will be high. Failure to deliver on the promises means anger. Nobody to blame but the man himself.

I see 0bama refuses to recognize this as he distances himself from press conferences. His condescending speech style also causes him a problem. Give Biden a shot.

He's certainly facing some damned hard times.

And given that his mission is to reconstiute the same flwed system that got us into this mess, only this time with some minor regulations that don't really address the root cause if the problem, I'd say all his work is going to amount to nothing much at all.

We're still going down because we have yet to admit to ourselves that our system is bent to begin with.

We are STILL basically following the SUPPLY-SIDERS formula for how to run an economy.

If you run on a platform of "anti Washington" as Obama did, you will wind up being the most prominant part of the Washington that you campaigned against.
He created the anger, promised to change it, and instead doubled down on it.
He made his own bed at the expense of the American People.

And given that his mission is to reconstiute the same flwed system that got us into this mess, only this time with some minor regulations that don't really address the root cause if the problem, I'd say all his work is going to amount to nothing much at all.

We're still going down because we have yet to admit to ourselves that our system is bent to begin with.

We are STILL basically following the SUPPLY-SIDERS formula for how to run an economy.

Our system is far from bent.
As long as ideology gets in the way of governing, our system will not work.
Our system, by far, is the best around....the ones capitalizing on it, such as congress, are the problem.

And by the way....

ECONOMIES DO NOT NEED TO BE RUN.....maybe that is the problem?

If you run on a platform of "anti Washington" as Obama did, you will wind up being the most prominant part of the Washington that you campaigned against.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that he ran on a campaign pledge to "Change Washington" except he failed to mention that he planned to "Change Washington into Chicago"........ ;)

I think it might have something to do with the fact that he ran on a campaign pledge to "Change Washington" except he failed to mention that he planned to "Change Washington into Chicago"........ ;)

Actually, if you noticed...all along he campaigned that he was going to change washington...until election day........if you recall, that was when he "claimed" that the mantra all along was to "fundamentally change America".

And if you recall, when critics started to question his actions, he said "America voted for me to Change America".......

Please...someone show me where, before election day, he EVER said he wanted to Change America.....it was always "change the way things were done in Washington.

This was another example of where he capitalized on the naevity of the American people...they all shook their heads in agreement...."Yeah, we voted for him becuase he said he was going to change America"...

Really? Show me where he said that during the campaign.

Of course anger is replacing hope as he is epically failing to LEAD. Even his own party is fractured and refuses to do what they are elected to do. Time to take off the training wheels and do what you were elected to do.

Chicago style politics does not inspire trust and cooperation. These are two key ingredients in creating bipartisanship. Combine that with 0bama as the prince of change through the media and expectations will be high. Failure to deliver on the promises means anger. Nobody to blame but the man himself.

I see 0bama refuses to recognize this as he distances himself from press conferences. His condescending speech style also causes him a problem. Give Biden a shot.
Yes, it's time for Obama to resign and let Joe Biden run things until January 2013 when Sarah is inaugurated.

Actually, if you noticed...all along he campaigned that he was going to change washington...until election day........if you recall, that was when he "claimed" that the mantra all along was to "fundamentally change America".

And if you recall, when critics started to question his actions, he said "America voted for me to Change America".......

Please...someone show me where, before election day, he EVER said he wanted to Change America.....it was always "change the way things were done in Washington.

This was another example of where he capitalized on the naevity of the American people...they all shook their heads in agreement...."Yeah, we voted for him becuase he said he was going to change America"...

Good points and You'll get no argument from me on that Oldandtired, as far as I can tell the Obama Campaign was just one long bullshitting session with no breaks in between but what can one expect from a politician that has absolutely no principles except "The ends justify the means" ? Fortunately it appears that many Americans that voted for him are now in the process of waking up with "buyers remorse", that's always a good sign IMHO.

Of course anger is replacing hope as he is epically failing to LEAD. Even his own party is fractured and refuses to do what they are elected to do. Time to take off the training wheels and do what you were elected to do.

There was never really any hope as it pertains to the election of the President.
If people truly believed that one man (or woman) can create hope, they would not have elected a man with no track record of any true value.

People hoped things would straighten out....but no one truly believed on person can do it.....and one person cant.

Being President is hard.

obamaanger.jpg

Yes, it's time for Obama to resign and let Joe Biden run things until January 2013 when Sarah is inaugurated.

I know President Obama is bad but let's not go off the deep end, mmmkkkkayyy? ;)

How come no one picked up on what was behind what Biden said this past weekend.

He was asked about waterboarding and he said, with assertion..." waterboarding was not an option."
When asked why....
He responded...

"becuase it doesnt work"

I thought waterboarding was deemed as torture and THAT is why we dont do it.
But apparently, we dont do it because "it doesnt work"

And the press gave him a pass on it.

One person can make a huge difference though.

One person can inspire Congress to get off its collective ass and think about the people that elected them instead of the corporations that pay them or better yet refuse to be paid by the corporations. One person can make argument to the people that the wedge issues detract from the real work that needs to be done. One person can stand up and educate the masses that there is nothing to fear other than fear itself. One person can inspire people to think for themselves.

Oh wait strike all the above. My head is in the clouds again silly me.

Good points and You'll get no argument from me on that Oldandtired, as far as I can tell the Obama Campaign was just one long bullshitting session with no breaks in between but what can one expect from a politician that has absolutely no principles except "The ends justify the means" ? Fortunately it appears that many Americans that voted for him are now in the process of waking up with "buyers remorse", that's always a good sign IMHO.

Yes....but people tend to make the same mistake more than once. A few words of confidence, and any mistake made in the past is forgotten. Next campaign, it will be the same "how can I manipulate your thinking" type of campaign....

Axelrod is a genius. But he is not on the side of the America I know and love.

How come no one picked up on what was behind what Biden said this past weekend.

He was asked about waterboarding and he said, with assertion..." waterboarding was not an option."
When asked why....
He responded...

"becuase it doesnt work"

I thought waterboarding was deemed as torture and THAT is why we dont do it.
But apparently, we dont do it because "it doesnt work"

And the press gave him a pass on it.

Correcting Country Joe Biden would be a fulltime job.

Forum List

Back